Pic of valve cover area on Havoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently had to do an intake job on my Grand Prix GT. It has over 308,000 miles on it and I have used Havoline exclusively. Took a few pics during the job. I also replaced the valve cover gaskets. Both sides look the same. I still change oil every 5000 miles and do not add any between changes. This should be a testament to Havoline.

-

On Redline?
Absolutely!!!
Where does this myth come from that an engine can not remain spotless for the whole duration of its usefull life?
Thats' why I've asked about the production year.
I've seen some delivery vans putting up to 80K per year, that looked almost spotless at around 200-250K miles marks.
All on Jiffy Lube dino, with 5K intervals.

quote:

Originally posted by bighead:
Well, you're just a party pooper vad
tongue.gif
lol. Ok, so maybe it's not in pristine condition, but, hey it's still running strong, and it's by no means sludged. I'm sure the owner is satisfied..
grin.gif

Sorry, guys.
Don't mean to be that.
Just talking from what I've seen.

Don't let these other pass bodily fluids on your head and tell you it's raining. Your engine looks great.
cheers.gif

Thanks for the pics. It shows this engine can use normal oil, no special addtives to last a really long time.

Do you keep track of gas mileage? If so has it went down any?

Other then the "varnish" it looks pretty good. Thanks for the pictures. Have you used AutoRX or LC?

Just curious....(for Vad)....

So, if it doesn't "look clean" in another 300,000 miles from now, would that be a bad thing? Or does it need to "look clean" to be effective?

Granted, I like an engine that "looks clean" on the inside just like the next guy, but that engine certainly doesn't look BAD for the mileage. Especially not when you consider he used low-cost dino the whole way.

It's a '97 that I bought new. The plugs had over 180,000 miles on them and I replaced those also. The valve area looks pretty good to me. The block area gunk was caused by the leaking intake gasket. The 97-98 3.8's are known to have a gasket problem. I was getting 25 mpg regularly before the intake job. I also changed the plugs and wires too. Havoline works for me. Whatever works for others is cool too.

A friend of mine has a clean engine after 100,000 miles with no oil changes in the past 8 years and 50,000 miles, just topping off with a quart of Mobil 1 about every 3000 miles. But this picture is pretty good for 3x the distance.

quote:

Originally posted by wlkjr:
It's a '97 that I bought new. The plugs had over 180,000 miles on them and I replaced those also. The valve area looks pretty good to me. The block area gunk was caused by the leaking intake gasket. The 97-98 3.8's are known to have a gasket problem. I was getting 25 mpg regularly before the intake job. I also changed the plugs and wires too. Havoline works for me. Whatever works for others is cool too.

You still have not posted which weight Havoline you are using........
grin.gif

How is it that the center is pretty much varnish-free, and the ends a lot less so? I can't imagine the varnish matters, doesn't look like there's a spec of grit or sludge anywhere, even after saving and zooming. Did this one get a new timing chain while you're at it?

Havoline, eh? 5W20, no doubt!
cheers.gif

The hoses, now THEY don't look too good! Don't forget the new Dexcool! Have you run this only on DexCool over the entire life of the engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back