Pic of valve cover area on Havoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by BlueOvalFitter:

quote:

Originally posted by wlkjr:
It's a '97 that I bought new. The plugs had over 180,000 miles on them and I replaced those also. The valve area looks pretty good to me. The block area gunk was caused by the leaking intake gasket. The 97-98 3.8's are known to have a gasket problem. I was getting 25 mpg regularly before the intake job. I also changed the plugs and wires too. Havoline works for me. Whatever works for others is cool too.

You still have not posted which weight Havoline you are using........
grin.gif

Sorry about that. It is conventional 10W30 Havoline and I haven't used any LC or AutoRX. Just plain oil. It does use about half a quart between changes, but I just don't top it off.

quote:

Originally posted by toocrazy2yoo:
a 97..So a fair number of the miles were on SJ and SL.

Have you done additives to maintain those SJ/SL levels as Havoline has gone to SM?

No additives at all. I have done about several analyses with Blackstone. Oil always looked good.

wlkjr,

Would you consider a few OCI's of synthetic and then take the valve covers off again and take pics?

Say a 3k, and two 5k oci's on Mobil or Pennzoil Platinum?

toocrazy2yoo
How is it that the center is pretty much varnish-free, and the ends a lot less so?

That looks like the lighting results from the camera flash, not exactly a studio set up, but a quick shot to get the point across (which it did).
Good testament to regular, consistent oil changes on regular oil.
As said, "What works for you, fine."

Good Day,
Steven

quote:

Originally posted by thooks:
wlkjr,

Would you consider a few OCI's of synthetic and then take the valve covers off again and take pics?

Sorry, not interested. If it already works for me I see no need in changing. I'm flattered that you asked though. I don't usually experiment unless I'm having a problem, and I'm satisfied with the way it is now.

quote:

Originally posted by wlkjr:

quote:

Originally posted by thooks:
wlkjr,

Sorry, not interested. If it already works for me I see no need in changing. I'm flattered that you asked though. I don't usually experiment unless I'm having a problem, and I'm satisfied with the way it is now. My plan is to see how long it will go the conventional Havoline.

Very nice hot baked enamel job with two tone sunburst effect. Looks like one premium jazz guitar. It adds the character...
smile.gif

Mine looks similar but it is single tone, 22 years and half the milage... the wavy pattern tells the minute details of the long story of its past. No sludge, no problems.

Very fortunate to last that long at 5K intervals. Alot of engine designs would not conceive that nice of a picture at 300K. Most likely, they would of seen the graveyard first.

My ideal pic here would of been a closer snapshot at 3K intervals. I believe that would of come-out outstanding in cleanliness.

quote:

Originally posted by AstroVic:
Just curious....(for Vad)....

So, if it doesn't "look clean" in another 300,000 miles from now, would that be a bad thing? Or does it need to "look clean" to be effective?

The poster has stated that the condition of his engine is a testament to Havoline.
What I'm saing is I don't see anything special.
The modern engines can easily last 300,000 miles with lots of freeway driving.
I've seen engines with 250K miles on Jiffy Lube, that looked cleaner.
Would it be a testament to Jiffy Lube oils???
Does it need to look cleaner at that mileage to be in perfect condition?
No.
Is it common nowdays to have engines running mostly long trip remaining in very good mechanical condition?
Yes.
I don't see anything special about the engine, the way it looks or anything else that can be proclaimed as an achievement and testament to qualities of that particular oil.

I think it is just as much a testament to the 3.8 as it is to Havoline. It probably would look similar if you had used Pennzoil, GTX, QS, E-M, Tropartic etc... You were lucky enough to get a good one and your normal (not overly obsessive) maintenance regimen kept her performing nicely.

As far as a little varnish goes-I remember an article on Mobil 1 in Popular Mechanics back around 1975 where a Ford engineer stated that a little varnish does absolutely nothing harmful.
In a perfect world we would all like a squeaky clean engine but I'll take 308K and a little varnish anytime. Thanks for the pics and good luck with it,wlkjr

There are many factors here... That much is obvious (as to the state of the engine).

Nice engine! I've heard what PBM said as well from other mechanics "a little bit of varnish is not harmful." Thanks for the pictures - always better with pictures.

I'd be very happy that you got to 300,000 miles. Whatever you are doing seems to be working very well. I'm hoping I can get my car to 400,000 miles so seeing your engine, there is hope yet!
grin.gif

No parade escapes the rain, eh, WLK?
lol.gif

If you'd have bragged the about the build of the motor, they'da come outta the woodwork to attribute success to the oil in spite of the engine, quoting, of course, all the examples in their experience.

Sorry,
offtopic.gif
, but I couldn't NOT make the observation..
lol.gif

[ June 19, 2006, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: toocrazy2yoo ]

That picture is at least a full stop underexposed. That's what's fooling a few here into thinking there's gross varnish buildup. A brief trip through Paintshop Pro to correct the apparent underexposure and bring the detail out with a slight general gamma correction resulted this rendition that more accurately represents the mild varnish buildup.

[ June 19, 2006, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

Ray H, appreciate your effort in trying to correct the not so perfect picture.
But it looks overexposed now.
I wonder if the poster has other pictures of the engine, taken from a different angle.

wlkjr1951: Great pic! Looks like your engine is still in fine condition for another 100K. A little varnish and a few traces of minor buildup after 300k is nothing at all to worry about. Looks like Havoline has been doing a great job.

To all those who may ho-hum this pic, remember a great deal of these 300k were put on using SF/SG/SJ dino oil, which is no match for the dino Havoline SM of today.

Havoline did a great job in this engine for a very long time.

I do have a couple more pics from a different angle but don't have time to post them right now.
I'm sure my engine looks like a turd to some who have better results with other oils. I was just showing what mine looked like. Wasn't even attempting to sway anyone else's opinion.I'm glad everyone doesn't use Havoline because they might not have strived to make such a quality product. Competition is good.
I will try to study up so I can make perfect pictures next time.

quote:

Originally posted by vad:
Ray H, appreciate your effort in trying to correct the not so perfect picture.
But it looks overexposed now.

Your comments are valid, but consider that shiny intake manifild mating surface reflecting the flash right back into the camera's lens. No way could the auto-exposure tame that to the sensitivity constraints of the image sensor. (The histogram readouts that are typically included in digital SLRs painfully show that film's lattitude is still superior to even the latest CCD and CMOS image sensors in that regard.) Whatever general gamma manipulation I tried was going to be a compromise at best. Picking and choosing what and where to apply correction would've entailed its own set of compromises - not the least of which would include the integrity of the image content. All in all, I believe this 300,000 mile motor has held up amazingly well even on a diet of nominal "dino". That's my story, an' I'm stickin' to it!
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back