Pic of valve cover area on Havoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by hominid7:
To all those who may ho-hum this pic, remember a great deal of these 300k were put on using SF/SG/SJ dino oil, which is no match for the dino Havoline SM of today.
Havoline did a great job in this engine for a very long time.

I think you missed that it is a 97 model, not 87.

quote:

Originally posted by wlkjr:

I'm sure my engine looks like a turd to some who have better results with other oils. I was just showing what mine looked like. ....
I will try to study up so I can make perfect pictures next time.

Ignore the rable.
grin.gif
Most of us appreciate seeing pictures of the inside of an engine with good, but not fanatical oil change maintenance.
cheers.gif

Maybe you could have had alittle less varnish if you had changes your oil at 3k instead of 5k, but that would have been 40 extra oil changes, hardly worth it considering your engine sounds like it's still in good condition.

Thanks for the post with picture
patriot.gif

"Illegitimi non-carborundum."

quote:

Originally posted by vad:
Ray H, appreciate your effort in trying to correct the not so perfect picture.
But it looks overexposed now.
I wonder if the poster has other pictures of the engine, taken from a different angle.

So what? You're concerned about the tone? Not the fact that there are no visible accumulations ..as in stuff you could scrape off??

Again, you're joking, right?

-

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:
Maybe you could have had alittle less varnish if you had changes your oil at 3k instead of 5k, but that would have been 40 extra oil changes, hardly worth it considering your engine sounds like it's still in good condition.

I don't think the 3K intervals would make any difference.
His oil was underutilized under his conditions.
He was putting around 30K miles per year which equals to 6 oil changes.
We're talking lots of easy freeway miles here.
Please correct if I'm wrong.

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
So what? You're concerned about the tone? Not the fact that there are no visible accumulations ..as in stuff you could scrape off??

Again, you're joking, right?

Are we talking about sludge here?
If your engine is full of sludge then it doesn't mean that's a normal occurance in a properly maintained high mileage engine.
Show me pictures of your engine, please.
Then I'll tell you if I'm joking or not.

Shouldn't be much.
But the dealer of course will charge an arm and leg.
Your local mechanic should be quite reasonable, but it also depends on the engine design.
Heck, I would do it for you if you happened to be in the Neighborhood.

What? Bailing? No. When I get my valve cover off ..I'll gladly take a picture of it. It's only got 109k on it ...has only seen synthetics ..and all you will see in anodized blue and red roller rockers against a grey cast background.

I'm not due for a while ..but I have no problems doing so. Now if you want to see the interior of my 176 3.0 Mitsubishi ..it won't tell you much. I Auto-Rx'd it a few times to get rid of ticks. It was the season, you know.
wink.gif

-

lol.gif
1992/175k+/-/ various oils over its history ..no routine maintenance after being retired to second vehicle in 1999. Oil changed from that point on in an irregular biannual basis ...or whenever consumption resulted in the second quart being added.

The engine rountinely used no oil up until 3k ..the began consuming oil. It didn't appear to matter the weight or the group.

This had 3 Auto-Rx treatements because, as Frank always reminds us (read the instructions), I screwed up. I did clean/clean/rinse instead of clean/rinse/clean/rinse.

There was no "sludge" per se. Just lots of various shades of varish. The biggest impact of A-Rx was the HLAs and some odd cyclical ticks that were remedied with its use.

you can see where the Auto-Rx cleaned up the aluminum better in some places then others.

Three Auto-RX treatments...
Did you have a chance to pick under the valve cover before Auto-RX?

Nope. Too lazy. If I was that motivated I would have used the new valve cover gaskets and cam seals that were sitting in my garage since the day I got some random stray "spike" while at an autoparts store. It must have annoyed me that day (the minor seepage) ...but I got over it.

Again, looking through the oil cap ..it wasn't that dirty. Stained heavily ..but not truly gunked up. I did it mainly for the smoking valve seals (did a banging job on them) and the little annoying ticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back