Pic of valve cover area on Havoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vad ..that's not a clean view there ..that's a pristine view. I didn't even have it look that good when it was an engine on M1 that never saw anything less then 300 miles a day. It still had a clean, yet "bronzed", appearance. That looks brand new

Yea, yea.
I've been accused before already in falsifying the record in presenting a picture of a brand new engine.
wink.gif

If OriginlHacker decides to come over to open up his valve cover, then I will have a witness to support my claim.
cool.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Blue99:
[QB]This is simply staining due to the exposure of heat and many different additives in an oil formulation that changed ownership from Texaco to Equilon to Chevron over the last 8 years.[QB]

The varnishing is not just a stain. It is a deposit of finite thickness that is a real threat to the engine parts, gaskets and seals. If I see it in my engines, I consider it to be an oiling failure on my part.

The synthetic oils and HDEO's have always done an excellent job on keeping the engine clean with the proper OCI. You should see white metal regardless of the mileage if the oil is correct for the engine.

quote:

Originally posted by LarryL:
Don't let these other pass bodily fluids on your head and tell you it's raining. Your engine looks great.
cheers.gif

I agree. it's stuff like this that makes me glad I now use Havoline 5w30.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Buford T. Justice:

quote:

Originally posted by bender:
offtopic.gif

I was curious, for comparison, what a badly sludged engine looks like. I did some Google Image Searching and
shocked.gif
man, what a nightmare. I had no idea. I don't necessarily buy the 3K OCI but after seeing some pics of sludged up engines, I might go back!
gr_eek2.gif

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1230050

I think it was more like 17,000 miles not 7,000 miles as stated.

That picture takes the cake! Has the oil EVER been changed?? Wow, and I thought I had seen it all.
crushedcar.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Rodbuckler:
The varnishing is not just a stain. It is a deposit of finite thickness that is a real threat to the engine parts, gaskets and seals. If I see it in my engines, I consider it to be an oiling failure on my part.

You are partially correct. Yes, varnish forms as a resinous layer on surfaces exposed to fuel vapors.

Staining is due to exposure to heat and various components in the oil, which may be additives or the various combustion byproducts, acids, fuel components etc.

Keep in mind, the engine pictured in this thread has seen approximately 8000 hrs of operation and it is perfectly normal for some discoloration to occur. No failures on anyone's part.

Per the Noria site, the definition of Varnish -

When applied to lubrication, a thin, insoluble, nonwipeable film deposit occurring on interior parts, resulting from the oxidation and polymerization of fuels and lubricants. Can cause sticking and malfunction of close-clearance moving parts. Similar to, but softer, than lacquer.

And a good explanation of varnish in this Question of the Day Thread by Molakule.

quote:

Originally posted by vad:
Yea, yea.
I've been accused before already in falsifying the record in presenting a picture of a brand new engine.
wink.gif

If OriginlHacker decides to come over to open up his valve cover, then I will have a witness to support my claim.
cool.gif

Just a quick question here, vad. Is Redline "clear"? Now my Agip PC synthetic is virtually clear as water. It's almost impossible to see on the stick. If this is the case with RL ..cool ...

..but...I've never seen a head with the valve cover off that shows NO OIL if its been run. Just a hint of that high polar attraction stuff.

lil help
confused.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Blue99:

quote:

Originally posted by Rodbuckler:

You are partially correct. Yes, varnish forms as a resinous layer on surfaces exposed to fuel vapors.

Staining is due to exposure to heat and various components in the oil, which may be additives or the various combustion byproducts, acids, fuel components etc.

Keep in mind, the engine pictured in this thread has seen approximately 8000 hrs of operation and it is perfectly normal for some discoloration to occur. No failures on anyone's part.

Per the Noria site, the definition of Varnish -

When applied to lubrication, a thin, insoluble, nonwipeable film deposit occurring on interior parts, resulting from the oxidation and polymerization of fuels and lubricants. Can cause sticking and malfunction of close-clearance moving parts. Similar to, but softer, than lacquer.

And a good explanation of varnish in this Question of the Day Thread by Molakule.

I don't fully agree. I've seen stainless steel forever discolored due to how pourous the metal may be. Sure there may be films that adhere (that's what they're supposed to do) and never get resuspended in future film formations ..but I've seen stains that highly resist removal short of a resurfacing.

Originally posted by vad:
[QB] The reason I took the cover off was to change the cover gasket.
It started to sip some oil through, just enough to get the surrounding area a little wet.

Could that leakage be a result of synthetic usage?

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
Vad ..that's not a clean view there ..that's a pristine view. I didn't even have it look that good when it was an engine on M1 that never saw anything less then 300 miles a day. It still had a clean, yet "bronzed", appearance. That looks brand new

It is amazing. Not even a speck of dirt on the outside or anything in the spark plug recesses...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back