Pennzoil Platinum Looks Cleaner than M1 after use - explanations?

I have a good comparison, RGT in a 2004 GMC Sierra w/ 5.3 and using Valvoline FS Maxlife in my 97 Civic. The truck has 4,100 miles and it still looks really good, you can tell it's not new but still amber in color. My car has only 538 miles and the oil is already dark, you can tell that it doesn't have several thousands of miles on it but it's already significantly darker than the RGT.

Oil color isn't really an indication of anything, way too many variables.

Or maybe you get more blow by with M1 ?
1715473267478.jpg

Last edited:
I have used Mobil 1 full synthetic for many years in a variety of vehicles. A couple of years ago I went to Wallies to get oil for my 2005 Sienna, and there was no 5W30 M1 in stock, so I picked up some Pennzoil Platinum. When I changed oil again, I noticed that the PP looked significantly cleaner than the M1 ever had in any of my vehicles, including the Sienna - noticeably lighter in color rather than the dark I am accustomed to seeing. This has held true for several more oil changes using PP. Nothing has changed in terms of the OCI (7,500+ miles), filter (usually Fram Ultra), or general driving patterns. It currently has about 144K miles (yes, I know I don't drive a lot). It has never consumed much oil, certainly less than 1/4 quart per oil change, usually much less than that if any.

I mentioned this to a colleague who does a lot of work on cars and car restorations, and he questioned whether this was a good thing, thinking that the PP may not be doing its job of removing dirt, etc.

I continue to use M1 in my 2008 Civic, and it looks the same as it always has.

Thoughts? Is this the norm for PP?

Hopefully unrelated was the recent need to replace a leaking valve cover gasket, but I don't suppose that is terribly surprising given the vehicle's age.

Maybe your engines not dirty hence the oil doesn’t look too dirty or dark. Other than that: dunno

How do you know this, or is it a guess based on marketing? I’m curious because I’ve never seen aminic antioxidants measured on an oil analysis posted here.
Mobil reformulated everything in their vanilla and EP lineup with Group III majority base oil. Except for the HM products, those are a different story. Meanwhile, oils formulated with GTL need less anti oxidants because GTL is a better base oil than VHVI Group III.

Mobil reformulated everything in their vanilla and EP lineup with Group III majority base oil. Except for the HM products, those are a different story. Meanwhile, oils formulated with GTL need less anti oxidants because GTL is a better base oil than VHVI Group III.
So, you made a wild guess? If anything they would be closer than ever now, if your new guess is right that GTL needs less antioxidants, correct?

So, you made a wild guess? If anything they would be closer than ever now, if your new guess is right that GTL needs less antioxidants, correct?
Not really a wild guess. I have Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 & 5W-30, and Mobil 1 EP HM 5W-30, and PUP 5W-30. I've used all of these in various vehicles. The Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 & 5W-30 where the darkest new and used. They also smelled the strongest new. That's the extra anti oxidant. The GTL based oils like the M1 HM and PUP are very loght colored and have almost no smell to them.

Keep in mind that lubricant mass producers like Mobil and Shell don't formulate their motor oils like @High Performance Lubricants does. They only use as much as needed, including anti oxidants. HPL uses additional anti oxidants in all their motor oils, regardless if they are blended with Group III or PAO. I'm sure you've noticed that HPL oils are slightly darker when new. Honestly, it's not really a fair comparison. Comparing HPL to Mobil or Shell motor oils is like comparing Arnold Schwarzenegger in his prime (back when he was winning Mr. Olympia championships) with an anorexic top model.

Not really a wild guess. The GTL based oils like the M1 HM and PUP are very light colored and have almost no smell to them.
I agree with this based on my own observations. The various Pennzoil "made from natural gas" synthetic oils (aka GTL gas-to-liquid) I've tried are very light colored new and remain lighter after use in the same engine compared to non-GTL oils. Other non-GTL Pennzoil/Shell products (e.g. Shell Rotella Gas & Truck) turn just as dark as other oils, if not darker.

That said, oil color is not an indicator of its performance. Camshafts and bearings don't care about color. They care about lubricity. In fact, I've stopped using PP because of its deficient anti-wear additive pak. I also don't buy theories that the darker the oil comes out the better it cleans.

Back