Phrases folks post online that they shouldn't

Work environment =/= hangin' out with one's buds.

When at work, one has a job to do. Job specific lingo goes with the territory. Jargon evolves to meet the needs. Management speak is used to communicate ideas, needs and requests, just like technical jargon evolves to communicate nitty gritty boring details.

Now if you'd excuse me, I just got this memo about new coversheets for the TPS reports...
Of course not but you can also use easy to understand language that isn't "bro speak" to communicate as a manager...somehow it's worked for me in my career but I'm not working at an Initech-type company either.

"Thanks in advance."
That one I will say, because I'm thanking all who take the time to read my posts and showing gratitude. Plus I may disappear for quite some time after making the initial request for help. I want to let all those involved that I'm grateful and haven't abandoned the act of being appreciative.

That one I will say, because I'm thanking all who take the time to read my posts and showing gratitude. Plus I may disappear for quite some time after making the initial request for help. I want to let all those involved that I'm grateful and haven't abandoned the act of being appreciative.
How about - "Thank you to anyone taking the time to read and respond" or similar?

That's the point. Could care less is incorrect, yet it is used constantly.
Could care less would mean I actually could care less than I do about XYZ so it's some level of care above the bottom of the care scale which is couldn't care less.

Of course not but you can also use easy to understand language that isn't "bro speak" to communicate as a manager...somehow it's worked for me in my career but I'm not working at an Initech-type company either.
I guess I work at an Initech-type company then, I can see a clear need for some of the terms we use. What is gating this project, reaching out, action items, these all mean specific things. If anything, I could see using non-technical jargon as using more words to convey the same thing.

I guess I work at an Initech-type company then, I can see a clear need for some of the terms we use. What is gating this project, reaching out, action items, these all mean specific things. If anything, I could see using non-technical jargon as using more words to convey the same thing.
I know what all of those mean and have heard them/probably used them but typically don't use much jargon unless I have to I suppose. Does your company have a heavy meeting culture?

I’d be happy if the posts merely had proper grammar and spelling.…
Omg yes! I see so much ghetto slang on here lately that I honestly have no idea what is being said. I wonder how old these people are here who speak like that. I'm not sure if they're trying to be "funny" or if that's their actual diction.

I know what all of those mean and have heard them/probably used them but typically don't use much jargon unless I have to I suppose. Does your company have a heavy meeting culture?
I'm not sure what would constitute "heavy". As a manager I'm not surprised that I wind up in 2-3 hours a day, trudging from one meeting to the next.

We sure are email-heavy. Normal day has me getting over 100 or so. I guess that goes with the territory too, oversee lots of projects, get spammed as a result. It's a bit annoying, get added on (but never removed), "just in case" I might have something to contribute to whatever is going on. Nothing quite drives me nor colleagues batty as much as people who just have to alter subject lines, makes email search way harder than necessary. [Speaking of which, it'd be great if MS fixed their Outlook app and supported folders properly, some of us have thousands of folders and the Apple app makes Outlook just shy of useless.]

Omg yes! I see so much ghetto slang on here lately that I honestly have no idea what is being said. I wonder how old these people are here who speak like that. I'm not sure if they're trying to be "funny" or if that's their actual diction.
it isnt so much ghetto as "texting spelling". if i type to anonymous people on a public website using my ittybitty cell phone keyboard ill use shortcuts in spelling like u or shud or tmoro and definitely nix punctuation marks to save time especially since i have big hands and fat fingers that even hit the adjacent keys on a full size keyboard LOL

im almost 60 and have had cellphones since 1991 and used texting probably from 1996 so I probably saved a year of my life by using the cellphone text spelling

Last edited:
I was commenting assuming I was helping out by responding but was thanked before I did so....it's arrogant to thank folks ahead of time for help.

Sorry buddy, anytime someone is polite upfront before being helped does not equate to arrogance, at least not for me. So according to your posts you have an issue with those who are polite when asking for your help and dare to thank you before you actually do help? 2+2='s 5 kinda math there.

If a post bugs me, I just don't help the person or participate, whatever.

What bugs me a lot more is when someone wants help or info or whatever, and is too lazy to even bother providing enough info themselves to bother, like they'll type 20 words and any effort you make for them is probably a waste of time, or at least is a good % of the time.

using my ittybitty cell phone keyboard ill use shortcuts in spelling like u or shud or tmoro and definitely nix punctuation marks to save time... I probably saved a year of my life by using the cellphone text spelling

And THIS! It's rude, especially when it is a less common abbreviation. I can see doing it texting to someone you know but not so much on a website forum post. It is shifting the burden of the time of that one person posting, onto the burden of everyone else who has to read and re-read it trying to make sense of it, for years to come. Granted some people do it worse than others, then if I bother to, I just post "Could you restate that in english?". ;)

I feel like a certain % of people who write Thanks In Advance are arrogant because there is an implied entitlement that we should help them. I'm sure some are just being courteous but I feel more this way if it is a new account, poster who hasn't contributed much if anything to a forum, and often once they get what they want, will never return to give back to the community, only returning if they need more help. Those are the kind of people who should pay a pro to do the work. *I am not specifically referring to BITOG posts, see this on several forums*.

Last edited:
it isnt so much ghetto as texting spelling. if i type to anonymous people on a public website using my ittybitty cell phone keyboard ill use shortcuts in spelling like u or shud or tmoro definitely nix punctuation marks to save time especially since i have big hands and fat fingers that even hit the adjacent keys on a full size keyboard
Oh no, I do that very same thing too. We had this creature at work who instead of calling our boss "sir", he would always call him "dog". Our boss is an ex Marine, very straightforward and disciplined. Let's just say said creature didn't last too long at our place of employment. What I'm talking about is when people do this:

If a post bugs me, I just don't help the person or participate, whatever.

What bugs me a lot more is when someone wants help or info or whatever, and is too lazy to even bother providing enough info themselves to bother, like they'll type 20 words and any effort you make for them is probably a waste of time, or at least is a good % of the time.
Example, someone posts a vague question like, "what car should I buy?"

No information on what they need the car to do.
Okay, free rein here, how about an Aston Martin V12 Vantage, let's start there.

Back