Phrases folks post online that they shouldn't

'Put boots on the ground' and 'In my wheelhouse' are two personal favorite irks. A new one to me is 'upskilling' which makes my eyes roll whenever I read it.

I work for a defense contractor. The amount of buzzwords that folks use nowadays in typed communication is unreal, like they are expected to use them as if it shows some kind of business savvy or inside knowledge or something. Nope, it's just dumb.
It is. And people defend this as necessary verbiage for business. It's so fake/trying too hard to impress.

I think the texting shorthand I truly detest more than others is to see some dude call a woman, "hon". 🤮 Women hate being called that too.
I detest any and all ghetto slang. It's just lazy speak.

Are you making one-size-fits-all presumptions here?
1) some women are ol'Skool and like the familiarity of "hon/honey" if done with endearment; not all women hate it
2) what makes you think all men like to be called "dude" ???
It's odd you find one generalization offensive, while perpetuating another.

Know what offends me? People who are too easily offended by trivial stuff.

Last edited:
"Babe" is worse if you ask me. When I hear couples calling each other that, I cringe.
Yes! I mean.... "Babe?" NO!
You would hurl around wife and I in a store. She will actually (been doing it 25 years now) call out to me across the aisle. "Hey Popa!"
Used to have people looking all around like "who the world is that woman calling Popa?" None such looks anymore with the grey/white hair and beard!

Are you making one-size-fits-all presumptions here?
1) some women are ol'Skool and like the familiarity of "hon/honey" if done with endearment; not all women hate it
2) what makes you think all men like to be called "dude" ???
It's odd you find one generalization offensive, while perpetuating another.

Know what offends me? People who are too easily offended by trivial stuff.
Every woman I know detests being called "hon". Especially by strangers. They find it creepy and gross.

And ghetto slang, well, it just makes people look and sound uneducated. Especially when guys call everyone "n***a". That's probably the worst one. Even worse when it's full grown men. I guess coming from some punk it's not quite as bad.

I worked with this creature that always called our boss, "Dog". And this was a 40-something year old grown man. Calling your boss "Dog" is completely disrespectful. Needless to say he didn't last very long. I've been working for the same boss since 2012, and I still call him "Sir". Yes sir, no sir. Not yo dog.

But this thread isn't about being "offended". It's just as the title states, "Phrases people post online". Posting online I guess can extend to texting, instant messaging, etc.

Last edited:
People use "This begs the question" improperly even more online than they do in real life. That raises questions regarding their education. Another bugbear is the all-too-common pronunciation of 'et cetera' as 'eck-seddera.' That's worse than 'Artic' for 'Arctic' and 'Feb-you-ary' for 'February.' Dang youtubers!

Every woman I know detests being called "hon". Especially by strangers. They find it creepy and gross.

And ghetto slang, well, it just makes people look and sound uneducated. Especially when guys call everyone "n***a". That's probably the worst one. Even worse when it's full grown men. I guess coming from some punk it's not quite as bad.

But this thread isn't about being "offended". It's just as the title states, "Phrases people post online". Posting online I guess can extend to texting, instant messaging, etc.
Waitresses call me Hon all the time. :LOL:

Back