Any Scooter Folks - 2003 Piaggio LT150?

Learning my way to fix my first project scooter(ever) which I have recently picked up.

It is a 2003 Piaggio LT150 with nearly 1600 miles and it hasn't been run in a long time and has issues that need to be fixed.

First step, it needs a battery, not running and would need air intake accordion hose.

Where should I start in terms of starting on the maintenance and battery? Could anyone please point me towards a manual or something to get started? Would you suggest a specific website or a forum for scooter DIY?

Thank you for all the help and guidance.

congrats on the scooter find! A Piaggio is a Vespa and a god forum is modernvespa.com. I believe the piaggio shares the 150 motor with the Vespa of that vintage. Basic things to do when firing up an air cooled scooter with a carb that's been sitting..

probably needs a battery
drain old fuel, fill with fresh
clean carb
change airfilter
new plug
new oil

fire it up and see what happens.

You'll also want to replace the front brake fluid and the gear oil...check tire dates, too, they may be original.

scooterwest.com is a dealer in San Diego that stocks a ton of Vespa/piaggio parts. They also have a youtube channel (Vespa Motorsport) with Robot, they have tons of scooter videos, very informative.

good luck.

recently read a great article on vespa history on Hagerty.com + the people involved from the beginning. good cheep short trip- local transport + while stationed in Morocco they were EVERYWHERE!!

Nice. If that's the case it's essentially a Honda GY6 then. That's a fan cooled, bullet proof engine design.
Again I am still learning but I think this baby is air cooled and not whole a lot of information on it is out there, still researching.

lots of info out there..air cooled, carbureted, motor shared with Vespa so parts are plentiful

1624368564336.jpg

Thank you iahawk. Did you see any service manual anywhere?

I have downloaded a version of workshop manual but seems to be an image file, so bit hard to search as a PDF. Carb work is the first step and buying a battery to see if it starts and then anything after it.

it may be easier to search for a manual for the same year Vespa 150? Motor and cvt trans will be identical.

Back