Pet Peeve: My Car Does Not Burn A DROP Of Oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
It's true that any engine must burn through some oil.
That's simple mechanical reality.
To claim otherwise betrays an ignorance of how an engine works and the role oil plays.
Most of the engines I've run over the past forty years have used little enough oil that adds were never required and that even checking oil level was of no concern.
These engines were still consuming small amounts of oil, as any engine must.

And what is your 'proof' of the above statement ? Do you have any scientific evidence that you can share with us ignorant
folks.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
To claim otherwise betrays an ignorance of how an engine works and the role oil plays.
Most of the engines I've run over the past forty years have used little enough oil that adds were never required and that even checking oil level was of no concern.

And what is your 'proof' of the above statement ? Do you have any scientific evidence that you can share with us ignorant
folks.

If you knew how an engine operated, you wouldn't be asking the question. I covered it earlier in the thread. That's not supposed to be construed as rude or vindictive, so please don't take it that way, it is simply factual based on the design characteristics of the internal combustion engine.

There must be 'some paper', written evidence of your statement.

All I know that I do OCI's on M-1 0w20 at about 9000 miles....and I never had to top it off. You would think that with that many miles on a 'thin' oil, the oil on my dipstick would drop below the 'fill' mark.

Proves to me that some engines don't "burn or use' oil. My Ford Duratec 2.3 is one of them.

All I know that I do OCI's on M-1 0w20 at about 9000 miles....and I never had to top it off. You would think that with that many miles on a 'thin' oil, the oil on my dipstick would drop below the 'fill' mark.

Proves to me that some engines don't "burn or use' oil. My Ford Duratec 2.3 is one of them.

I have two vehicles that don't drop on the dipstick on similar OCI's, but that doesn't mean they burn no oil. What it means is that they use VERY LITTLE OIL.

Go look up how an engine operates, and there will be your written evidence.

Valve stems are lubricated by engine oil going by the seals. It does not take much oil to keep them lubricated.

The piston/rings/cylinder wall interface is lubricated by.... OIL! There is a constantly replenished film of oil that keeps the pistons from scuffing against the bores, that keeps the rings from scoring the bores...etc. This sacrificial film is largely burned off when the piston goes down the bore and that oil is exposed to combustion. This is also required to only be a VERY thin film to provide adequate protection, so we are not talking a lot of oil here either.

The other source of consumption is oil vapour drawn through the PVC valve and burned. This will vary greatly depending on engine design. The vapour consists of volatized components as well as oil mist.

When I think of cars "using oil",to me that's cars that smoke,have oil residue around the tail pipe area,or that are "out of oil" when it's time to change it.

My friend's old Nova would use a quart or so every 100 miles. He always kept a fresh case of Super Tech 20W50 in the trunk at all times. If you were standing by the tail pipe when he'd start it,it'd spray your leg with oil.

110% incorrect. ANY engineer dealing with fluid film products will tell you that a properly built engine....mass produced or hand built should and will not use a drop of oil......unless something is wrong.
My Civic SI and the one before that..had EXACTLY the same spot on the dipstick thought the oil change cycle.

I can't be bothered to spend the time it will take to find an 'official document' on the subject, but I CAN provide a very simple diagram that will show you ONE way that all 'traditional' internal combustion engines will burn at least a trace amount of motor oil during their operation.. It has to do with the 'oil film' on the cylinder walls.

Please excuse the crudeness and low-res nature of this picture, I grabbed what I could find quickly and slapped together something in MS Paint.

2j2dz69.jpg

See those little red lines on the side of the cylinder above the piston? That part of the cylinder gets a very thin film of oil during operation, to keep the piston and rings from scoring the cylinder walls. Even in an engine that is running optimally, a very thin film of oil remains, and some of it ends up in the combustion chamber at the top, so when it fires, there's a miniscule amount of oil that ends up getting burned.

There's not much - it's negligible in fact - but over the course of a full OCI, whether it's 3000, 5000, or more.. you're talking tens- or even hundreds-of-thousands of combustion cycles so that 'negligible' amount per cycle adds up to something more than negligible.

Even if your engine is in prime shape, you're still talking something measurable, maybe a teaspoon, maybe a couple ounces.

It would be hard to properly measure and would amount to a very small percentage, but it would still amount to a figure greater than 0.

Is that what you were looking for?

Originally Posted By: disneyfire

110% incorrect. ANY engineer dealing with fluid film products will tell you that a properly built engine....mass produced or hand built should and will not use a drop of oil......unless something is wrong.
My Civic SI and the one before that..had EXACTLY the same spot on the dipstick thought the oil change cycle.

Hate to say it, but you're about to get shut down. At least one of those engineers is a regular here, and I'm sure he'll disagree with you on that.

A 6L V8 is going to use more oil than a 2L four.
Keep that in mind.

Only time I had a car use a noticeable amount of oil was my '88 Accord used about a cup of oil on a 3300 mile road trip with a lot of running 70-85 mph in a hot climate.

Last edited:
My 02 RL burned half a quart of pp over 12000 km's, mind you i just changed it and did smell some fuel (unless it was from someone elses car nearby) so who knows but i only added half a quart to keep it at the full mark because im anal like that.

Originally Posted By: stchman
This is absurd for people to say this. So 6 quarts in and 7500 miles later 6 quarts out? I call manure. ALL engines will use a little bit of oil over the OCI.

My Silverado uses a little over 1/2 a quart every 6500 to 7500 miles. IMO this is an acceptable level of oil consumption.

If you're going to get yourself all worked up over something, at least make it something important. By getting yourself all lathered up over such meaningless, inconsequential things such as this (and your other rants) you only serve to make yourself look foolish.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: DeepFriar

Did you guys find each other on eHarmony?

No, the IQs over 100 club.

Janitorial staff doesn't count.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back