Pet Peeve: My Car Does Not Burn A DROP Of Oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is absurd for people to say this. So 6 quarts in and 7500 miles later 6 quarts out? I call manure. ALL engines will use a little bit of oil over the OCI.

My Silverado uses a little over 1/2 a quart every 6500 to 7500 miles. IMO this is an acceptable level of oil consumption.

Pet Peeve: People calling [censored] on stuff I say because they don't want to accept it as the truth.

.. If my car starts using a 1/2 qt of oil in an OCI, I'm going to start looking at what's causing it. "Not a drop"? No.. "No noticeable drop in oil level"? Yes.

Get over it. There are cars out there that don't go through any observable amount of oil in an OCI. Yours may not be one of them, but they're out there. I know because I have one.

There are engines with large sumps where a half quart loss might be hidden when the oil is warm just be expansion, and half a quart isn't going to move the level much anyway.

Last edited:
I tend to agree with you from a logic standpoint but it seems a lot of Japanese cars are downright parsimonious in their use of oil. As beat upon as my old SE-R has been, a 5K change of its miniscule 3.5 quarts usually reveals "no measurable difference". Like you I don't want to believe it but there you are. The Europeans, in my experience, on the other hand always seemed to design in some consumption. These newer regimes of long life requirements represent a real sea-change for them. The dipstick who thought up "no dipstick" must have been desperate to reduce his NOACK budget. Job done. ;-)

I would not go hunting or go into business or to war with anyone who claims their engine doesn't burn a drop.

They're either lying sacks, or not very bright.

As I said, ALL engines use a little bit of oil between changes. On some engines, the level is small (~1/4 quart) while some are large.

I cannot remember the last time I had to add oil to any car I bought new I have ever owned. I check the oil level and it is between the min and max when I am getting ready to change it so all is good.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
I would not go hunting or go into business or to war with anyone who claims their engine doesn't burn a drop.

Agreed, I had some yahoo tell me that his car takes 4 quarts and he drained exactly 4 quarts back out when he changed it 5K miles later. Whatever, I guess he squeezed the filter to get all of the oil back out of it.

Maybe it "felt" like 4 quarts.

I have given up pointing out idiot's errors, it seems to do no good.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
.. If my car starts using a 1/2 qt of oil in an OCI, I'm going to start looking at what's causing it. "Not a drop"? No.. "No noticeable drop in oil level"? Yes.

Agree with this statement.

All engines use some oil, some use so little(like 4-5 oz or less) in an OCI such that it isn't noticeable/measurable.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: SirTanon

Agree with this statement.

All engines use some oil, some use so little(like 4-5 oz or less) in an OCI such that it isn't noticeable/measurable.

I didn't take any photos of my dipstick, but I overfilled it just a bit two changes ago and it was still overfull just a bit before I changed that batch out (morning readings after sitting in my garage all night). Now, with my car, some of that was definitely fuel in there by the end...

Originally Posted By: stchman

Agreed, I had some yahoo tell me that his car takes 4 quarts and he drained exactly 4 quarts back out when he changed it 5K miles later. Whatever, I guess he squeezed the filter to get all of the oil back out of it.

Did you guys find each other on eHarmony?

My 2010 Honda Fit doesn't use a noticeable amount... But you should never let your guard down and always check, sometimes a problem pops up and sudden oil loss/consumption can happen.

I check it weekly, usually after work as the parking lot here is very level.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Sometimes fuel dilution makes up for oil burning.

Would have to be a whole [censored] of a lot of fuel dilution in that case. Even in cars that "only use a 1/2 quart" per OCI, you're still talking about 1/2qt of oil in.. let's say a 5qt sump. That's 10% fuel.

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
Originally Posted By: stchman

Did you guys find each other on eHarmony?

No, the IQs over 100 club.

My 2007 Grand Marquis has never fallen below the full mark in as much as a 11,000 OCI... In almost 49 years of vehicle ownership it's only the second engine I've seen that didn't consume at least enough to be noticeable...

So you guys can speculate & blah blah all you like, I know you're FOS as there are some engines that don't use oil..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back