2024 crosstrek burning oil after 1,000 miles on oil change

I have a 2024 crosstrek that I’ve put 16k+ miles on in almost 6 months. I change the oil every 3k miles. It currently has 0w-20 in it. I have put a little over 1k miles on this recent oil change and I’ve noticed the oil level in the dipstick is lower, by about a quarter inch from the full line. I don’t know if the is normal for 1k miles. I feel like if I did the full ru recommended 6k mile oil change the dipstick would be bone dry. I might switch back to 0w-30 and see if oil consumption is less.

Also

The oil is checked in the AM in the exact same spot as a reference. I also don’t idle much either. The motor is run hard north of 7,500’ elevation most of the time

Is this the new normal for GDi engines? I also feel like if I went to the ru dealer the “techs” would be like “lol put 0w-16 in it”

I imagine a quart every 5000 miles you would be told it was normal. I agree probably just track it - how much you use, how much you add, etc. Maybe go ask a dealer just to hear them tell you its nothing.

I would say its not normal as a rule, but every make is different. My wife's Toyota which is GDI + MPI uses zero. Actually all 3 in my signature don't use any.

Run hard and change every 3K miles? In a 2024 car with 2024 oil? I would run it 6K and change it when it’s getting near the add mark.

I did 3K in my 1964 AH Sprite, but circumstances have changed…A LOT!

no, more like 1/5 of a quart.
The oil readings on Subaru engines are really sensitive to slopes and the amount of time since the engine was shut off. Even when I check the oil on my Subaru in the same parking spot with a cold engine, I'll sometimes get a reading that's more than 1/5 of a quart lower, for unknown reasons, even though the engine doesn't use oil.

Just keep checking the oil periodically pay attention to the long term trend.

If you were running 0w/30 without issues why did you go to 0w/20? Sometime thinner oils will burn a little more than thicker but like the other say - just monitor it and see where it goes. 3k is also a little too soon with todays oil technology - push it out to 5-6k.

I have a 2024 crosstrek that I’ve put 16k+ miles on in almost 6 months. I change the oil every 3k miles. It currently has 0w-20 in it. I have put a little over 1k miles on this recent oil change and I’ve noticed the oil level in the dipstick is lower, by about a quarter inch from the full line. I don’t know if the is normal for 1k miles. I feel like if I did the full ru recommended 6k mile oil change the dipstick would be bone dry.
What you said is: "I don't know if the [sic] is normal for 1k miles."

Your first job is to find out if this TINY drop is normal at 1000 miles or not. It could be it drops this tiny bit and stays at that level for the remaining 2000 miles. As long as the level stays above the Add mark, the level is sufficient.

You also said: "I feel like if I did the full ru [sic] recommended 6k mile oil change the dipstick would be bone dry."

The dipstick is not supposed to be used only to refill the sump after an oil change. Waiting 6k miles to check it would not be using a dipstick as it was designed...which is to periodically ensure the oil level is sufficient during an Oil Change Interval.

By the way, using a modern properly spec'd oil should safely allow OCI's to be much closer to at least 5000 miles, if not the Subaru-recommendation of 6000 miles. A used Oil Analysis my allay your anxiety somewhat, and in your case, save you some money. It's 2024, not 1974. Engines and oils have come a LONG way the past half-century.

Everybody talking about "3k miles oci is too soon." Subaru recommends 3k mile OCI under "severe" conditions (hot climate, dirty/dusty, stop and go, short trips, etc.). I do 3-3.5k oci on my wrx.

For op, "1/5" of a qt at 1k miles is not much. The manual states a qt every 3k miles is normal

My 6.7 CTD doesn’t burn a drop of oil

Guess this is PCMO problems mayhaps

@Redhawk454 if it was my vehicle, and faced your problems, I would try the following:
1. Check and replace the PCV valve if it's easy to do. Sometimes they can be bad even on a new vehicle.
2. Switch to Mobil 1 EP HM 5W-30. The High Mileage part won't hurt anything. This oil is a 0W-30 labeled as 5W-30. The base oil used is PAO, and the oil itself is very low NOACK. And you can find it reasonably priced at Walmart. I had very good results with it in the past.

Would you consider installing an oil catch can? It helps with IVD on GDI engines.

I hope you get it figured out, and hopefully my advice helps you in some way.

After living with an EJ turbo that burned up to one qt every 5K miles (before switching to 10W-40), and 1 qt on 600 mile trips, I’ve been quite surprised that I’ve never added oil to my FA24DIT. That’s running 0W-20, 5W-20, or 5W-30 at 5k mile intervals. The fuel dilution keeps the oil level up quite nicely. :ROFLMAO: The Forester would burn two qts if I pushed the OCI to 6k miles.

As @twX mentioned, Subaru’s are notoriously tricky to get a consistent reading on. Like you I also check it when the oil is cold. In Japan, the Crosstrek has the same oil grade recommendation as the WRX (0W-20, 5W-30, Euro 0W-30). Don’t know if your issue is related to grade though.

Did you give it a hard break-in or by the book? My FXT was broken in by the book, but the Outback got a hard break-in. I don’t think you’re burning that much though.

Last edited:
1/5 of a quart and 1,000 mi is not troubling and possibly didn't burn that much it's hard to get the amount level when you fill it check back in 1000 or 2,000 more miles with its new level using less than a quart in 5,000 mi wouldnt bother me.

As a poster has stated above, pay attention to trends. Otherwise you will start chasing a moving target. I recommend you also do not get a dealership involved at this point. They are liable to start monkeying around with your car potentially leading to souring of your new car experience.

Back