Piston slap after 1,000 miles of brake in oil change

I have a 2024 ES350, I did an oil change with Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 at 1,500 miles. I babied that car up to the oil change. After the oil change i started doing some full throttle runs. Shortly after at 2,500 miles the car has developed a piston slap sound (not to be confused with the injector ticking sound).

I had a car with a tappy engine, it was second hand, I didn't give it much thought. I regularly changed the oil with whatever was on special. One oil change I used a high ZDDP oil (~ 1200 ppm zinc) but my usual viscosity. After about 500 miles the tapping sound went away. Next oil change I went back to a regular ZDDP oil (~ 800 ppm zinc) of same viscosity grade. After another about 500 miles, the tapping sound came back.

I assumed the extra additives reduced the noise, but they take a few hundred miles to activate from fresh oil and form a surface film on the metal. Then another few hundred miles to be reduced to regular level by running a regular oil.

In your case, maybe the factory fill had a lot of moly in it, from assembly paste etc. Then when you changed the FF to M1 ESP, as the heavy moly surface film reduced you began to notice the engine noise increase. Just an idea.

Back