2024 crosstrek burning oil after 1,000 miles on oil change

If it indeed is consuming, an Xw30 will not solve the issue. Nor will a high mileage oil. The seals are not the problem which is what HM oils truly address. I would extend the OCI to 4500 or 5000 and see where you are then. If still consuming at or an accelerated rate, i would visit the dealership and start the paper trail.

I have a 2024 crosstrek that I’ve put 16k+ miles on in almost 6 months. I change the oil every 3k miles. It currently has 0w-20 in it. I have put a little over 1k miles on this recent oil change and I’ve noticed the oil level in the dipstick is lower, by about a quarter inch from the full line. I don’t know if the is normal for 1k miles. I feel like if I did the full ru recommended 6k mile oil change the dipstick would be bone dry. I might switch back to 0w-30 and see if oil consumption is less.

Also

The oil is checked in the AM in the exact same spot as a reference. I also don’t idle much either. The motor is run hard north of 7,500’ elevation most of the time

Is this the new normal for GDi engines? I also feel like if I went to the ru dealer the “techs” would be like “lol put 0w-16 in it”
Oil Changers Anonymous:

Hi, my name is Redhawk and I change my oil every 3000 miles. I also drive 16,000 miles in 6 months."
Group, "Hello Redhawk, Welcome to OCA!

Man you are over-changing the oil; this is not helping and is not required in your circumstance whatsoever.

We have currently an FB2.0D.I. it uses little to no oil depending on brand. The previous FB2.0 used no oil whatsoever.

I had experienced high oil consumption with a change to pennzoil platinum at one OCI but not with other majors.
I would stick with the 20 grade and go 6K between changes.

Enjoy the car and don't fret about it. check your oil level at least every 2 weeks and top off to full cold.

- Arco

There are few common causes to oil consumption that can be corrected in simple oil chemistry choices. But there are many other mechanically-caused reasons that have to be checked while it's still fairly low consumption (<1qt/100hr) otherwise it may not turn around for you.

Where is everyone at in terms of using a higher calcium content xW30/40 euro oil in these direct injection engines?

How soon was the FF 0w16 dumped out of this? Did it burn any of that?

Everybody talking about "3k miles oci is too soon." Subaru recommends 3k mile OCI under "severe" conditions (hot climate, dirty/dusty, stop and go, short trips, etc.). I do 3-3.5k oci on my wrx.

For op, "1/5" of a qt at 1k miles is not much. The manual states a qt every 3k miles is normal
Redhawk says he is doing about 2700miles a month; that is probably different than your situation and your driving style - and you have a boosted engine to boot.
You are probably doing good with your 3.5K oci on your rex. (y)

Oil Changers Anonymous:

Hi, my name is Redhawk and I change my oil every 3000 miles. I also drive 16,000 miles in 6 months."

Man you are over-changing the oil; this is not helping and is not required in your circumstance whatsoever.

We have currently an FB2.0D.I. it uses little to no oil depending on brand. The previous FB2.0 used no oil whatsoever.

I had experienced high oil consumption with a change to pennzoil platinum at one OCI but not with other majors.

Enjoy the car and don't fret about it. check your oil level at least every 2 weeks and top off to full cold.

- Arco

Idk man my oil sits around 228 American a lot

Where is everyone at in terms of using a higher calcium content xW30/40 euro oil in these direct injection engines?

How soon was the FF 0w16 dumped out of this? Did it burn any of that?

Dumped out the 0w-16 at 2k miles. Would’ve done 1,500 but stuff got in the way

I have a 2024 crosstrek that I’ve put 16k+ miles on in almost 6 months. I change the oil every 3k miles. It currently has 0w-20 in it. I have put a little over 1k miles on this recent oil change and I’ve noticed the oil level in the dipstick is lower, by about a quarter inch from the full line. I don’t know if the is normal for 1k miles. I feel like if I did the full ru recommended 6k mile oil change the dipstick would be bone dry. I might switch back to 0w-30 and see if oil consumption is less.

Also

The oil is checked in the AM in the exact same spot as a reference. I also don’t idle much either. The motor is run hard north of 7,500’ elevation most of the time

Is this the new normal for GDi engines? I also feel like if I went to the ru dealer the “techs” would be like “lol put 0w-16 in it”
To put that into perspective. I have a 2006 Honda Odyssey with 183k miles on it, where oil level on dipstick is at the full mark right after an oil change, and also after 5,000 miles. No oil added in between oil changes.

You may wish to report the oil consumption to the dealer and ask them to fix it under warranty on such a new car.
I'm sure they will say it's normal, but it really isn't on such a new car.

To put that into perspective. I have a 2006 Honda Odyssey with 183k miles on it, where oil level on dipstick is at the full mark right after an oil change, and also after 5,000 miles. No oil added in between oil changes.

You may wish to report the oil consumption to the dealer and ask them to fix it under warranty on such a new car.
I'm sure they will say it's normal, but it really isn't on such a new car.
Well, being a honda, half that dipstick is fuel dilution 😂 just kidding

Oil Changers Anonymous:

- Arco

u laph

But

jakes on you

Ru recommends 3k mile/3 month oci’s for severe service, which I fall under

Last edited:
u laph

But

jakes on you

I could maybe understand 3k OCI if you had an engine that was really hard on the oil, like a Ford Ecoboost F-150 pulling a 12,000 trailer up into the mountains. But the 3 month interval is overkill. 6 months is my time limit.

u laph

But

jakes on you

Many think they might but don't. Detail that for the Collective. Unless my calculator is trashed by CME it is looking like you are doing one oil change a month - that's a Flag on the field.

You driving Baja California with a K&N insert?

You do what you want, just remember, when you post here you will get advice - and more.

Enjoy a Respectful Memorial Day Weekend.

Last edited:
Newer engines especially take a LONG time to get all the oil to drain back into the pan. On my EJ, I can shut the car off, exit, pop the hood and check right away and the level never changes. On my Ascent, if I do the same thing and then check ten minutes later, the level is usually about 1/8” higher on the dipstick.

As a result of this, I only ever check the Ascent cold and go from there since it’s the only way to get a consistent reading. I actually agree with TwX on this one; make sure you park car in same spot every time to eliminate any tilt influence.

Many think they might but don't. Detail that for the Collective. Unless my calculator is trashed by CME it is looking like you are doing one oil change a month - that's a Flag on the field.

You driving Baja California with a K&N insert?

You do what you want, just remember, when you post here you will get advice - and more.

Enjoy a Respectful Memorial Day Weekend.

Mayhaps you drive your 0w-20 on flat land Sunday drives south of 200 American?

I’m tearing it up in the Rocky Mountains usually north of 7,500’ elevation on trails, likea Ru crosstrek wilderness should. Then some stop and go with the Denverites down there going to the gym. Then I turn and burn and start climbing. Mayhaps the 0w-20 clan handle it ore would frequent oil changes be of some benefit?

Back