Pet Peeve: My Car Does Not Burn A DROP Of Oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hahahaha. Oil level is the same 7,500 miles later as it was when I put the oil in on every one of my vehicles. I don't doubt that they use just a very little bit of oil but it's definitely not noticeable usage at all. Even my older Fusion is the same. My first run of Mobil 1 in the Fusion switching from conventional, it used about half a quart in 7,000 miles but it hasn't used near that much on the following synthetic oil changes. I'm using PZ Platinum right now & only have a few hundred miles on this change so maybe it will consume more. We will see.

Originally Posted By: TFB1
My 2007 Grand Marquis has never fallen below the full mark in as much as a 11,000 OCI... In almost 49 years of vehicle ownership it's only the second engine I've seen that didn't consume at least enough to be noticeable...

So you guys can speculate & blah blah all you like, I know you're FOS as there are some engines that don't use oil..

But it DOES use oil, just not very much. It doesn't self-generate "unobtainium" to lubricate the cylinder walls and valve guides (both locations of minute consumption) which means it is using oil to do those things. Not a lot, no, but some. So saying "it doesn't use oil" is dishonest or ignorant, take your pick.

Originally Posted By: stchman
This is absurd for people to say this. So 6 quarts in and 7500 miles later 6 quarts out? I call manure. ALL engines will use a little bit of oil over the OCI.

My Silverado uses a little over 1/2 a quart every 6500 to 7500 miles. IMO this is an acceptable level of oil consumption.

Some do, some don't...typical, common...there's no "normal" oil consumption for all engines...regardless of use, or type of driving....loss of some is no reason to 'dig' for a costly repair when adding a quart during an OCI is the cheapest solution.

I've had over a dozen vehicles and all consumed 1/2-1qt during 3-5k dino OCIs between their 125k-195k lives under me...never lost any sleep over it...now running syn, I'm doing 7-8k OCIs and Kitacam's @ 133k miles losing 1qt or so...I let the level drop and add 1/2 quart (once or twice as needed) until I get to 7-8k and then change the oil...no big deal...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: gman2304
The oil usage in my engines is 'imperceptible'.

There you go. Mine has never used any measurable amount even with road course track days and oil temps at 300 degrees.

No membership in any stupid club required...

Yup, and that's a fine way of stating it. That's the way our Expedition is, no discernible usage (on the dipstick) between changes. It uses some oil obviously, but the amount is not significant.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
[

But it DOES use oil, just not very much. It doesn't self-generate "unobtainium" to lubricate the cylinder walls and valve guides (both locations of minute consumption) which means it is using oil to do those things. Not a lot, no, but some. So saying "it doesn't use oil" is dishonest or ignorant, take your pick.

That's what I said. But the good ole boys take issue with me.

I could drive any car and make it use oil.

My question is how many people do you actually run into that say this?
Is it really a thing where people are saying this all the time?

Seems like maybe there's only 1 guy, and you can just write that off as him being moronic (or you being more pedantic)

Now when people start saying "motor" ALL THE TIME when they mean engine, that's something to actually be peeved over.

Originally Posted By: raytseng

Now when people start saying "motor" ALL THE TIME when they mean engine, that's something to actually be peeved over.

Yep, I tell people I'm an enginehead. All the time.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
That's what I said. But the good ole boys take issue with me.

Mine doesn't use noticeable oil over the OCI. And I'm happy enough with that. I've had enough burners and leakers. If something uses less than a half quart over an OCI, I'm ecstatic.

My 2007 Grand Marquis has never fallen below the full mark in as much as a 11,000 OCI... In almost 49 years of vehicle ownership it's only the second engine I've seen that didn't consume at least enough to be noticeable...

So you guys can speculate & blah blah all you like, I know you're FOS as there are some engines that don't use oil..

I qualified that post in the 1st paragraph saying that it didn't use enough to be noticeable, so you're going to jump on me because I stubbed my toe and didn't say a interpretable amount in the second???????????

I'll agree it had to use a small amount, I've just never seen it in this engine... This is from someone that's done ALL my own maintenance(and all but maybe a half dozen of my own repairs), from 1st vehicle bought in 1966... Approx a year ago I did pay a friends son to replace the POS plastic intake on my '98 Grand Marquis, just because I despise working on those engines(replacing valve stem seals on a 4.6 burned me out forever)... Yes it uses a little oil, approx 1/2 quart in the last 3K mi... I'll run it out to probably 8K mi and expect to add a quart, it's no big deal... Still the '07 won't(likely) be off the full mark...

I qualified that post in the 1st paragraph saying that it didn't use enough to be noticeable, so you're going to jump on me because I stubbed my toe and didn't say a interpretable amount in the second???????????

I'll agree it had to use a small amount, I've just never seen it in this engine... This is from someone that's done ALL my own maintenance(and all but maybe a half dozen of my own repairs), from 1st vehicle bought in 1966... Approx a year ago I did pay a friends son to replace the POS plastic intake on my '98 Grand Marquis, just because I despise working on those engines(replacing valve stem seals on a 4.6 burned me out forever)... Yes it uses a little oil, approx 1/2 quart in the last 3K mi... I'll run it out to probably 8K mi and expect to add a quart, it's no big deal... Still the '07 won't(likely) be off the full mark...

Yes, your first statement was fine. My intent wasn't to "jump" on you, simply point out the inaccuracy of your 2nd statement (which was the type of statement the OP was taking issue with) because it is inaccurate. This inaccuracy stems from (usually) either ignorance regarding how an engine is lubricated or dishonesty because it "sounds better" to say your engine doesn't use any oil rather than saying it uses very little or not enough to matter/notice.

Regarding the latter, there are plenty of examples of that "chest thumping" in this very thread (not your post).

Well that's funny, because I've never heard of motorhead anyway.

I call myself a gearhead, seeing as that's the typical term used.

Just my 2 pennies.

~ Triton

So should we say Honda Enginecycle instead of motorcycle?

the issue has already been debated a million times. there's no point kicking the dead horse.

i said it peeves me when people say motor when they should use engine. That doesn't mean you should always use engine, and never use motor; I'm just saying you can't interchange the words willy nilly.

When you use motor when you should be using motor, then obviously it's fine.

But when you purposely interchangeably just to be "blue collar" or "nascar" or "fast and furious" or I have no idea the root of the reason why this is a thing for the past few decades, then it's a peeve.

It would also peeve me the other way when you're incorrectly using engine when you mean motor, just as you used in your example of enginecycle. But obviously that hasn't caught on as a thing so it's a moot point.

Last edited:
the issue has already been debated a million times. there's no point kicking the dead horse.

i said it peeves me when people say motor when they should use engine. That doesn't mean you should always use engine, and never use motor; I'm just saying you can't interchange the words willy nilly.

OK I'll be sure to buy engine oil for my next change...

Anyone know where it's sold???

stop trolling me guys :)))), i'm going to blow a motorgasket soon

Last edited:
Lots of people using certain solid moly additives and its been noted it keeps piston rings from sticking and oil consumption low. I think all engine eat oil from 1 ml to 1 qt and its all noted as normal. Own a rotary engine,they eat oil. I think driving conditions,etc are factors too.

Originally Posted By: Triton_330

Well that's funny, because I've never heard of motorhead anyway.

I call myself a gearhead, seeing as that's the typical term used.

Just my 2 pennies.

~ Triton

Yea, whatever. I think I hear your mama calling you.

And those Brits love to go enginecarring...

In the automotive world, motors are electric and engines are internal combustion.

One definition of motor is:
giving, imparting, or producing motion or action.

So the term motorcycle, motor car, motor boat, are correct. Motorcycles and cars are more than just an engine, they have many other systems on board.

Why is it called motor oil, probably a phrase left over from about 100 years ago.

People say "it should be called General Engines or Ford Engine Company", no, those two companies make more than just engines.

If engine and motor are interchangeable then I guess I can say:

starter engine
windshield wiper engine
power window engine
blower engine

So motor and engine aren't so interchangeable after all.

I have yet to see a motor tear down manual, they all seem to talk about tearing down engines.

What about a hybrid car, when one says motor, which motor are they talking about because a Prius has an electric motor and a gasoline engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back