Pennzoil pistons cleaner than Mobil 1, Valvoline..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Full advertisement: "Pennzoil synthetics keep pistons cleaner than Mobil 1, Valvoline Synpower, and Castrol Edge w/ Syntec."

For brand-name oils I always stuck with Mobil 1 or Delvac 1 since ~2000. Any truth to this ad claiming Pennzoil is better? i.e. independent proof?

It's all advertisement, most likely and you either take Pennzoil's word for it or not.

It would be hard and expensive to replicate the results. No one has a lab with two identical engines that you can run in identical conditions with Pennzoil in one and Mobil 1 in another for 100,000 miles worth of use and then do a tear down to compare cleanliness...

I also want to add that there are a ton of members who use Mobil 1 and have pictures of clean valvetrains. There are also members who use Pennzoil and also have the same results.

If both oils meet SN specs, I'd say that they should perform very similarly, because both have to meet the strict requirements for engine cleanliness, etc, etc.

Pick an oil and USE IT. Or switch around and try different lubes.

Maybe look at the add packs to see which one has the most cleaning agents? I prefer Castrol synths,but it`s just my personal preference.

I doubt Pennzoil is gonna do a test that shows Mobil 1 performs better than there Pennzoil Ultra. Many of these tests are just advertising for more sales.

Originally Posted By: Artem
It's all advertisement, most likely and you either take Pennzoil's word for it or not.

It would be hard and expensive to replicate the results. No one has a lab with two identical engines that you can run in identical conditions with Pennzoil in one and Mobil 1 in another for 100,000 miles worth of use and then do a tear down to compare cleanliness...

+1 If someone buys Pennzoil because of that statement they should be happy their advertising is working. Castrol had a more tacky juvenile method to make cleaning claims for their products. Mobil still has the most class in their ads, at least in my opinion.

Pennzoil as been on an aggressive advertising campaign lately
to combat the myth that their oils cause sludge and varnish.

As much as I am not a Mobil fan, I do have to admit their advertising generally takes the high road...the complete opposite of Castrol who pretty much just insult my intelligence.

When it comes to advertising,Mobil hit the all time dumbest when it had the TS commercial with him pouring on his hips so he could do the splits.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
When it comes to advertising,Mobil hit the all time dumbest when it had the TS commercial with him pouring on his hips so he could do the splits.

One dumb Mobil commercial doesn't make up for the plethora of dumb commercials that Castrol vomits out!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Capa

One dumb Mobil commercial doesn't make up for the plethora of dumb commercials that Castrol vomits out!

A grown man doing the splits pouring motor oil on his hips trumps the worst of the worst commercials.

Originally Posted By: Capa

A grown man doing the splits pouring motor oil on his hips trumps the worst of the worst commercials.

I haven't seen that one, maybe I should take back the nice comments I had for Mobil. LOL

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Pennzoil > Mobil 1, at least for quietness and smoothness.

Prove it....

Not much sense of humor around here. We takes our orel serious around these parts, Virgil.

Pennzoil's pictures look like the pistons were pulled out of the engine used in the certification tests. If that's the case I wonder how they got hold of one of Mobil's pistons for the advertisement pictures.

Maybe they snuck into Mobil's test room and stole it off the table....

Let the intrigue begin....

Originally Posted By: blackman777
Any truth to this ad claiming Pennzoil is better? i.e. independent proof?

It's based on ASTM Sequence IIIG piston deposit test results, which is an industry standard test and should be easily repeatable, regardless who did the testing. However, the foot note clearly states that it only applies to the 5w-30 grade, and hence the 5w-30 grades of competitors. One cannot infer that the same results would be obtained for other grades.

Also, the test compared PU against regular M1 and not M1 EP. EP is XOM's top shelf product, so they should have compared it to this one.

Originally Posted By: ammolab
And cleaner Pistons are important because?.........

Because you don't want to go out on a date and get caught with dirty pistons.

To OP it depends on who you ask. For example, Mazda RX7 owners say conventional oil like Castrol GTX left their engines cleaner than other synth brands. These engines are known to foul up due to oil seal and injector issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back