Has anyone been running long OCIs (10K) on synthetic other than Mobil 1?

Been doing 10k OCIs with PP Euro LX 0w-30 in the Giulia since I bought it. No complaints and UOAs came back in line.

10K changes on any of the popular Euro xW40 oils is commonplace in the VW world...many using Liquimoly, Castrol, or M1. I did one longer run up to 9K on LM without worry.

Thanks for all the replies.....keep them coming.
I'd still like to hear of someone who ran a Mobil1 competitor (Valvoline, PP, QSUD, Castrol Black bottle Edge, Havoline etc...non EP or boutique oil) exclusively at 10K intervals and has 250 to 300K on the clock. I know this is routinely done in Europe but I'm not sure if our versions of these oils are the same as Europe's.

Has anyone ran Walmart SuperTech Full Synthetic with extended 10k+ OCI for many oil changes with no issues from sludge/varnish?

honestly I have been using ST or the Kirkland synthetic stuff for about 20 years now.
mostly change it every10k or once a year, whichever comes first.
never done an oil analysis.
never had the rocker covers off
never had an engine failure..
I'm thinking I have used this stuff in my 99 Cavalier, my 2000 K3500, my 98 Expedition, my Hyundai, my 2002 Focus, 12 Camaro, 17 Versa with no ill effects

anecdotal evidence based on my experience would suggest once a year or every ten thousand mile OCI using Supertech Synthetic or the Kirkland alternative is going to give acceptable performance for anyone but the most discerning oil sniffing wingnut on BITOG :)

@pbm FWIW I have gone close to 10K miles on my wife's 2014 T&C several times. The oil gets changed when the EVIC OCI comes on.

• 7611 miles (12 months) on M1 5w30 EP
  • 9231 miles (8 months) on Mobil Super Synthetic 5w30
  • 8340 miles (12 months) on Mobil Super Synthetic 5w30
  • 8532 miles (13 months) on Mobil Super Synthetic 5w30
  • 9580 miles (11 months) on Citgo FS 5w30

Just my $0.02

I'd still like to hear of someone who ran a Mobil1 competitor (Valvoline, PP, QSUD, Castrol Black bottle Edge, Havoline etc...non EP or boutique oil) exclusively at 10K intervals and has 250 to 300K on the clock. I know this is routinely done in Europe but I'm not sure if our versions of these oils are the same as Europe's.
Castrol black and gold bottle has both American and Euro approvals

Castrol black and gold bottle has both American and Euro approvals
I don't think they carry Euro approvals in 0w20, 5w20, 5w30 etc (I think they call them ILSAC grades)...especially the black bottle.
I would feel safe going over my 7500 mile OCI limit with Castrol Gold Edge because they market it as an EP oil.

I mean user @dnewton has done 10K and I believe 12K oci’s on supertech conventional and didn’t have a problem.

I would think modern day synthetics could handle 10K oci no problem unless a habitual short tripper/idling. I did 8,272 miles on Amsoil XL in her Altima and probably could have done 10K but I was itching to change it out. As dnewton commented in the uoa, “if the Quaker state uoa comes back good as well, I would say a 10K oci would be a no brainer”

I don't think they carry Euro approvals in 0w20, 5w20, 5w30 etc (I think they call them ILSAC grades)...especially the black bottle.
I would feel safe going over my 7500 mile OCI limit with Castrol Gold Edge because they market it as an EP oil.
The black bottle has ACEA C5 which is a Euro stamp

bought this truck brand new in 1993.. 4.3 V6 it had 277,000 odd miles on it when we traded it away.
original engine , trans, etc distributor actually wore out but never a timing chain..
It lived most of its life on Castrol Synthech or Mobil 1.. ( I hadn't discovered Supertech yet or it wasn't in the market yet :) )
and since we used it in the family construction business it was tough to find time to change the oil
so I'm pretty sure this truck averaged closer to15000 miles per oil change than 10k.
It also had the added benefit of the guys using it would hardly ever shut it off, so it would idle for hours a day.

000_0014.jpg

honestly I have been using ST or the Kirkland synthetic stuff for about 20 years now.
mostly change it every10k or once a year, whichever comes first.
never done an oil analysis.
never had the rocker covers off
never had an engine failure..
I'm thinking I have used this stuff in my 99 Cavalier, my 2000 K3500, my 98 Expedition, my Hyundai, my 2002 Focus, 12 Camaro, 17 Versa with no ill effects

anecdotal evidence based on my experience would suggest once a year or every ten thousand mile OCI using Supertech Synthetic or the Kirkland alternative is going to give acceptable performance for anyone but the most discerning oil sniffing wingnut on BITOG :)
Thanks MSCH. Glad to hear that SuperTech Full Synthetic has done a good job with no ill effects with a 10k/1 year OCI for all your vehicles for the last 20 years. I like Warren oil, and I really like companies who produce a very good product at a value price.

MACTFORDEDGE on FB and YT has done 10k OCIs on his Ford Edge with dozens of off the shelf oils as well as boutique oils. Almost all highway, OCI is usually 2-3 months. He even mixed 6 different oils on one run. The formulation did not perform well, viscosity increased, oxidation and increase in wear metals.

Thank for all the great info / replies.
MSCH using Supertech FS and Kirkland (both by Warren) in various vehicles for 10K / 1 year is of particular interest because it's a value synthetic that appears capable of having the margin of safety in case I inadvertently
go over my desired OCI limit of 7500 miles.

I do realize that not all engines are as hard on oil as others and I keep this in mind...for instance...the 2.5 Duratec in my 16' Escape is virtually the same engine as the 2.0 Duratec in my 14' Focus except that the 2.5 has a 5.7 qt. sump (an even 6 qts. when I run the Fram 3600 oversized filter) while the Focus has a 4.5 qt. sump (and I won't run the oversized filter because it hangs below the engine in the 2.0).
More importantly, the Focus has GDI while the Escape is the good old PI and it's very noticeable how much darker the GDI turns the oil (GDI caused soot). For these reasons I would be far less worried about extending the OCI out (even if it did hit the 10K mark) on my Escape than on my Focus. The thought of all that soot circulating (and presumably wearing) in my GDI Focus would make me anxious to change it ASAP.

The oil burning could be the beginning of dirty piston rings / oil control rings.
You might want to do a few piston soaks with Berryman's Chemtool B12.

The Toyota dealers don't use TGMO from what I have read. They use the cheapest bulk oil in a drum.
They could even be using 5W-20 conventional instead of 0W-20 Full Synthetic and be pocketing the difference.
I agree with the possibility that oil burning could be the beginning of a ring issue. I'd start using HPL's EC to see if it helps.

As for the oil the Toyota dealers use, I think your painting a generalization with a very broad brush.

I agree with the possibility that oil burning could be the beginning of a ring issue. I'd start using HPL's EC to see if it helps.

As for the oil the Toyota dealers use, I think your painting a generalization with a very broad brush.
I agree, I'm painting with a large brush. You are right.

I've been to several Honda dealers. The Honda Owners manual recommends Honda genuine oil.
At many different Honda dealerships, I've asked if they use Honda oil, and the service tech's every time have said no.
The dealership uses the cheapest bulk oil they can buy in the huge drums. The Honda dealer increases their profit on oil change by buying bulk oil. The Honda dealer closest to my home uses Gulf oil in the drums.

When I used to own a Toyota Camry years ago, I asked the same question at a Toyota dealer. I was told they used bulk oil.
My suspicion is that all dealerships use the cheapest bulk oil in a drum that they can buy, and that they don't use the OEM oil.
It comes down a comparison of their profit on the hundreds of oil changes they do in a week. I would be greatly surprised if any dealership regardless of brand uses OEM oil for their oil changes.

So you may wish to ask your Toyota dealer(s) the next time you are there so we can get more data points.

Back