Mercedes 229.5 engine oil - Castrol vs. Mobil 1 vs. Pennzoil

Hey all, I'm looking to change the oil in my AMG that calls for 229.5. Here are all the approved oils from Mercedes Benz: https://operatingfluids.mercedes-benz.com/sheet/229.5/en

I'm deciding between these 3 since they're all approved on the list:
- Mobil 1 FS European Car Formula Full Synthetic 0W-40
- Castrol Edge 0W-40 A3/B4 Advanced Full Synthetic
- Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-40 Full Synthetic

Which one is better?

Quaker State Euro…

Quaker State Euro Full Synthetic 5W-40 Motor Oil, 5-Quart
https://www.walmart.com/ip/737859365

Actually, Quaker State Euro, Motormaster Euro, Pennzoil Euro, and Shell Helix Euro are the same oil, just different bottle…

And the 5W-40 and 0W-40 have the same additive package, just more viscosity improvers in the 0W-…

What model? Either of them will work. Ive run them all in my C63S and C43......running 300v 5w40 in my c63, but its about 640hp right give or take. Mobil 1 0w40 is 26.97 at Walmart. Get that lol

I was leaning towards that but what makes you say that?
Look at all of the used oil analysis' littered on this website to get an idea why. I don't mean to sound rude, just that there are plenty of them and they will serve you well! It can be found cheap at Wal Mart.

I suspect any one of the three would do you very well. That said, if you follow discussions here on BITOG, M1 0W-40 FS Euro is very well respected here. I have been using M1 0W-40 FS Euro in my Mercedes cars for years now, and am very pleased.

If you decide that all else is equal, you may want to consider availability to decide which one to use. In my area, I have found that the M1 offering is more consistently available wherever I look for it, with the Castrol offering being second. In my area at least, finding Pennzoil Ultra, in almost any weight, is near impossible. I've looked at Autozone, O'Reilly, Carquest, NAPA and of course Walmart.

From what I have seen, Ravenol, mentioned by @AmBeRnEcTaR, is a good oil. But it is about as hard to find as Pennzoil Ultra. If you think that spending 3X as much for a motor oil will protect your engine better, go for the Ravenol. But I would want to see the data to prove it, before I forked out $85/5 qt. jug. And so far, I've seen no data to suggest that.

I’ve been using M1 0w40 for the last 15 years. First in my clk500, then in my e550 bi turbo. Recently i switched to pennzoil platinum euro 0w40. There seems to be a difference. Engine revs so much more easier now. Of course I’m comparing new oil to old oil, but when I changed to new oil M1, I didn’t see this much difference. Have yet to try castrol edge 0w40. Unless the castrol can give me this same feeling, I’ll be using pennzoil euro 0w40 for here on out. Can get it shipped free from Walmart for $27 a jug

Back