Okay, rant time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Per thread title, let the rant begin.

I rarely get mad. In fact, I try to make it a point in life to avoid anger. But right now, I could bite hardened nails in half.

I'm changing the oil on my daughter's 2004 Kia Sedona. Back in the summer, she thought she would do a little routine maintenance and have the timing belt changed. The idiot she chose to do the job runs a little local shop and in the process of changing the timing belt did the job wrong which resulted in timing belt breaking and destroying the engine.

After a number of conversations in which I became involved, he did finally agree that it was his fault and he would replace the motor with another used motor with equal or fewer miles at his cost, (since it was his fault). The gunky, [censored] oil I drained out just now indicates to me the motor was either severely neglected or has many more miles than the 84,000 miles on the van's odometer, (oil has been in the motor for 500 miles).

When he did the timing belt, he also did the front brakes, installing new pads and calipers, telling my daughter she was "in danger because they were so worn. Oh, and by the way, we currently have a special on brake jobs." Okay, fine, she had him do it.

Now I'm laying under the van waiting for all the oil to drain out and I grab a flashlight and start looking around. Mainly, I'm checking the CV joint boot on the drivers side which is split and throwing grease everywhere creating quite a mess.

That's when I see it. The brake line, which is suppose to be routed directly upward in a little bracket is in fact, laying sideways across the caliper and is rubbing on the CV joint.

This is what busted/split the CV joint causing it to sling grease. Upon closer investigation, I see the brake line is in the process of being cut through by the CV joint.

On the one hand, thankfully this happened and I was alert enough to see it now rather than have my daughter involved in a crash when the line eventually broke with her and my grandbabies inside the van.

On the other hand, I am boiling mad. Had I not seen it, had I not decided to change the oil so quickly and had the time to check things out with a flashlight, this line would have busted with life threatening, possibly life ending consequences.

I keep telling myself, "calm, just stay calm."

As it is, because of his stupidity, I will have to replace not only the CV joint boot, (and probably the entire unit in the long run) but the brake line as well and then spend my happy time bleeding the brakes which he was paid to fix in the first place.

I just keep telling myself that at least I caught it before anything seriously bad happened. No one was hurt and I would much rather spend a Saturday doing this instead of sitting in a hospital waiting room waiting to hear news about my family.

End of rant - thanks for listening.

Know how you feel, been there.
No point trying to get blood out of a turnip (her mechanic.)
Find her a better one, assume the duties, or take a more active role in "Quality Control."

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
That sucks!

This is why I do all of my own service/repair work whenever possible.

Same here.

At least it is warm down there. We got above freezing for the first time in several days a couple hours ago.
And it is snowy and raining.

Change mechanics.

calm down. Look on the bright side, you discovered that your daughter's mechanic was no good before an accident happened. Find your daughter a better mechanic or take the job over yourself. I changed the oil on my daughter's '06 Corolla from new to when it was totalled at 180 kmiles. I got to visit with her and the grandkids and generally enjoyed the experience
grin2.gif

PS, you might be able to find a split boot replacement

You should take some very clear pictures of the issue before you touch anything just as a record.

Some people just have no mechanical sense of how things work and what looks good/right or bad/wrong. I have no idea why these people get into hand-on jobs in the first place. There are many repair jobs that are dead-simple on a car but they still need to be done correctly, and you shouldn't be fixing cars for a living if you don't know what 'done correctly' means.

It's like teachers who aren't good with dealing with kids, it's kind of a job requirement which makes you wonder how they got started in their career paths to begin with. I just don't understand it.

I feel your pain.

I gave my sister my old Subie. About a year later the shop next to where she worked convinced her that the timing belt needed to be done asap, (which it may very well have at 60k miles since it was last replaced.) I was annoyed that she spent what little money she makes on this before asking me, but she lives 4+ hrs away and it's her car and money.

When I came to visit a coupme of weeks to a month after the work was done she asked me to listen to her car, that something was wrong with it. It missed, sputtered and ran like [censored], which she said started right after getting it back from the shop and did not occur before.

She was told by the shop that the timing might be a little off and that it needed to settle in. They'd adjust it if it got worse. I couldn't contain myself. The shop was right there and I didn't give myself any time to calm down before going over to have a little chit chat.

That's why I'd never trust a shade tree mechanic to touch any of my cars,especially if the shop is a messy dirty disorganized pile of rubbish. If a shop is clean and organized,that's a sign imo of a decent mechanic.

after the shop put the timing belt wrong and destroyed the engine, why did your daughter keep going back to that same shop?

sad to say, women are at a disadvantage when they bring their vehicles into a shop. they will get a hard upsell on brakes/coolant flush/new tires.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
after the shop put the timing belt wrong and destroyed the engine, why did your daughter keep going back to that same shop?

Originally Posted By: andyd
calm down. Look on the bright side, you discovered that your daughter's mechanic was no good before an accident happened. Find your daughter a better mechanic or take the job over yourself. I changed the oil on my daughter's '06 Corolla from new to when it was totalled at 180 kmiles. I got to visit with her and the grandkids and generally enjoyed the experience
grin2.gif

PS, you might be able to find a split boot replacement

+1 consider yourself lucky.
thumbsup2.gif

The more I think about that brake line I think you should take your daughter out to dinner and thank both of your lucky stars that you found that and averted a disaster.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
That's why I'd never trust a shade tree mechanic to touch any of my cars,especially if the shop is a messy dirty disorganized pile of rubbish. If a shop is clean and organized,that's a sign imo of a decent mechanic.

Careful painting all with the same brush. Some really good guys under the hood are scatterbrained elsewhere.

Then you can have a squeaky clean dealer or chain shop that's kept clean by flat rate guys making nothing standing idle, and looking to gain that back on your car.

I usually just go to ASE mechanics. Did he have an ASE certification? Also the brake lines probably aren't that bad. If it had rubbed through, probably the red brake light would have turned on and you would have lost half of your braking power. Still would have been able to stop, maybe just longer stopping distances.

I'm lucky to have an honest local outfit (not a dealer) to turn to
when I need something done I can't do myself. I leave my shop manualon the seat to help them out if they need it AND to make sure they understand I know exactly what they have to do. Too bad you can't buy a lift for home use, the cars would never see a repair shop.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back