Oils other than Mobil 1 that meet Acura HTO-06?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tig1
I don't think any HTO-06 oil will be $10 cheaper than M1. Maybe $3.
If you catch a sale a little more.
And I'd save the $3 without question.

No need to WASTE $$.
06.gif

Esp with today's money problems (and what is coming down the line)

Just use ANY oil that meets Mobil's (sorry..) Honda's HTO-06 spec and you will be fine.

Since there are very few engines that REQUIRE the spec there will not be that many oils willing to pay for the useless testing that they have do to get the label.

Bill

Forgive me, I'm the new kid on the block, but have visited this site for a long time. I thought I'd toss this out there, as a general observation. Everyone seems so concerned about an oil meeting the HTO-06 spec, and the thread escalates into a small war. What I find odd is everyone is so concerned about an oil meeting a certain spec. Then when it comes to use 5W20 oil only (no other choices) in certain cars a lot of people are using 5W30 because they think it's better than what is spec'd, even when it clearly isn't. If it were me, and I was really concerned I'd use either PP or Mobil 1 and be done with it, even though I know Amsoil and Red Line are probably as good or even better oils.

BTW I agree with you BIll in Utah, there is a lot of useless testing they do to get the label. That is why I have no fear using Amsoil, Schaeffer or RL oils.

I also wouldn't worry about another $10 on an OC if I spent $30,000 + for a car.

AD

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
Then when it comes to use 5W20 oil only (no other choices) in certain cars a lot of people are using 5W30 because they think it's better than what is spec'd, even when it clearly isn't.

I think 5W-30 is "better" under certain conditions.

Then the mfg would state use 5W30 under those certain conditions. If they say use 5W20 only, they have a reason, and it doesn't have to be CAFE either.

Oops, hope I didn't start the 5W20 vs 5W30 arguement again.
10.gif

AD

when it comes to use 5W20 oil only (no other choices) in certain cars a lot of people are using 5W30 because they think it's better than what is spec'd, even when it clearly isn't.

Actually, we're pretty divided on this issue from what I've seen. I certainly wouldn't use 5w-20 where 5w-30 is specified...

Forgive me, I'm the new kid on the block, but have visited this site for a long time. I thought I'd toss this out there, as a general observation. Everyone seems so concerned about an oil meeting the HTO-06 spec, and the thread escalates into a small war. What I find odd is everyone is so concerned about an oil meeting a certain spec. Then when it comes to use 5W20 oil only (no other choices) in certain cars a lot of people are using 5W30 because they think it's better than what is spec'd, even when it clearly isn't. If it were me, and I was really concerned I'd use either PP or Mobil 1 and be done with it, even though I know Amsoil and Red Line are probably as good or even better oils.

BTW I agree with you BIll in Utah, there is a lot of useless testing they do to get the label. That is why I have no fear using Amsoil, Schaeffer or RL oils.

I also wouldn't worry about another $10 on an OC if I spent $30,000 + for a car.

AD

Well I can't say that I considered a different grade than is recommended in the manual, or an oil that doesn't meet Acura's spec. If this car was out of warranty, then perhaps my choice could be swayed. But as it stands the manual says 5w30 and it must meet HTO-06, and that's what I'm stuck with.

Almost split right down the middle. I wouldn't use a 5w20 where a 5W30 was spec'd either. But I would only use a 5W20 if that was the only oil the mfg spec'd.

AD

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Actually, we're pretty divided on this issue from what I've seen. I certainly wouldn't use 5w-20 where 5w-30 is specified...

Ack, I meant this the other way around! I.E. I wouldn't use a 5w-30 where a 5w-20 was specified. Sorry about that.

Then the mfg would state use 5W30 under those certain conditions. If they say use 5W20 only, they have a reason, and it doesn't have to be CAFE either.

And they do...when CAFE isn't a consideration.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

Or if the engine was designed for a 30 grade oil.

I see the 20 vs 30 debate won't die. After reading tons of info, doing a lot of research and speaking with people from various oil compaines, because I was doubting myself, I'll stick with what the mfg says. If they give me a choice I use what I think is best, if they say use only a 20 grade oil, I use a 20 grade oil.

After actually speaking to mechanics that maintain a fleet of Ford police cars, using only 5W20 oil with impressive results, I think Ford knows what they're talking about spec'ing that oil. Ford did extensive testing, including towing through the desert in the dead of summer with 5W20 oil, and the engines tested were fine. My 2 cents........

I've noticed that, when one side of the argument involves cold hard facts and the other is just opinions, it's easy to tell which is more likely to be correct...

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

Or if the engine was designed for a 30 grade oil.

Explain why many engines that were designed and initially spec'd for 10W-30/5W-30 now recommend 5W-20 with no change in any clearances or oil pressure/oil pump. Explain why many engines that are currently recommended to run 5W-20 in the U.S. are also currently spec'd to run anything ranging from 5W-30 to 15W-40 in other countries, with once again, no difference in clearances. This applies to many engines from several manufacturers.

If the engine was truly designed to "run" a 20-weight or a 30-weight, surely the manufacturer would recommend such universally...except in many cases they don't. I wonder why that is? Perhaps the manufacturers feel more free to recommend the optimum viscosity when not restricted by ridiculous CAFE standards and penalties? Maybe?
smirk2.gif

Last edited:
For starters 20 grade oils are not readily available in other countries. So when the manuals are printed they're printed with what is easy to obtain in other parts of the world. What is easy to obtain might just not be the best. In time you'll see the 20 grades recommended in other parts of the world as it becomes more readily available.

The USA leads, the world follows. Despite what people want to believe the US is still a leader in tech, and just about everything else. Years ago people thought EFI would never catch on, and that computers were NG, now look.

AD

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Well, they found out that 5W-20 protects as good as 5W-30, and as for as the rest of the world, 5W-20 is next to impossible to fine.

+1

5W-20 oils weren't readily available when Ford and Honda started recommending it in the U.S. either. It became more and more so as more manufacturers began to adopt it.

There's one reason why they pushed for 20-weight oils here. It wasn't because the engines were "designed to run it."

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Well, they found out that 5W-20 protects as good as 5W-30, and as for as the rest of the world, 5W-20 is next to impossible to fine.

They found that their group II/III blend 5W-20 protected as well as their "old technology" group II 5W-30.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back