Oils other than Mobil 1 that meet Acura HTO-06?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: buster
"Hey guy's I just bought a brand new car. It cost me about $30,000, and that doesn't include interest. I'm concerned though that brand A is $2 more a qt than brand X."

Where is the logic?

Have you got any logic to add to the conversation, or are you just going to harp on the price of her car all day.

Use an oil that meets HTO-06 and be well.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: joel95ex
so why does the m1 5w30 meet it and not the 10w30? If you live in the south, I don't think you need a 5w-30. I would assume the additives are the same within the same line regardless of viscosity.

Not that Honda needs it, but this is likely CAFE/EPA MPG-related. Only M1 in 5W-30 carries the HTO-06 approval.

Originally Posted By: IntegraVT
Originally Posted By: joel95ex
so why does the m1 5w30 meet it and not the 10w30? If you live in the south, I don't think you need a 5w-30. I would assume the additives are the same within the same line regardless of viscosity.

Not that Honda needs it, but this is likely CAFE/EPA MPG-related. Only M1 in 5W-30 carries the HTO-06 approval.

I'm not so sure. Mobils' 10W30 is quite a bit thinner than the 5W30 at operating temps. They'd probably get better mileage results with the 10W30.

Originally Posted By: D189379
cheers3.gif

I never suggested doing otherwise.
07.gif

cheers3.gif

PP is a fine oil. I would not hesitate to use it. 10w30 would also work in either brand. They are not technically certified but the chemistry is most likely the same, the only difference being less VII's for the 10w which can be viewed as a good thing.

There seems to be a very strong tendency to assume that if an alternative is cheaper, the original might not be worth the price. This easily translates to not feeling that the original is worth the price. It's a logical trap that is just as forgivable as any other.

Then again, every penny counts (especially these days). It's also important to be skeptical.

buster is saying that when you pay good money for a car, you want to protect your investment (obviously) and worrying about a few dollars here and there every few months is not a good policy to adopt to that end. That goes double for a company like Honda, which has to maximize not only durability but also cost of ownership -- in other words, you can trust what they recommend. That's all. Am I right?

I'm not so sure. Mobils' 10W30 is quite a bit thinner than the 5W30 at operating temps. They'd probably get better mileage results with the 10W30.

Yes, Mobil's 10W30 is thinner than their 5W30 at operating temps, but at cold start-up temps, it would be the reverse. The biggest gain in MPG using 5W30 over 10W30 would be in short trips / frequent starts anyhow, not at continuous operation at temperature.

Originally Posted By: il_signore97

Yes, Mobil's 10W30 is thinner than their 5W30 at operating temps, but at cold start-up temps, it would be the reverse. The biggest gain in MPG using 5W30 over 10W30 would be in short trips / frequent starts anyhow, not at continuous operation at temperature.

I agree, I just meant that for CAFE testing, I'm sure the car is fully warmed up and at optimal operating temps.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
There seems to be a very strong tendency to assume that if an alternative is cheaper, the original might not be worth the price. This easily translates to not feeling that the original is worth the price. It's a logical trap that is just as forgivable as any other.

Then again, every penny counts (especially these days). It's also important to be skeptical.

buster is saying that when you pay good money for a car, you want to protect your investment (obviously) and worrying about a few dollars here and there every few months is not a good policy to adopt to that end. That goes double for a company like Honda, which has to maximize not only durability but also cost of ownership -- in other words, you can trust what they recommend. That's all. Am I right?

I'm not doubting that Mobil is a good oil and will do the job, and maybe it is the best oil in this appplication? I also don't doubt that Mobil paid Honda a big chunk of money to have their oils name printed in the owners manual. So do I take that info and assume that Mobil is the best choice even though they bought their way in, knowing that 99% of owners would then use their oil? Would Mobil's name still be in the manual if they didn't pay any money to Honda?

All I'm doing is looking around, checking to see if there is someone with a positive experience with another oil that meets this spec, and possibly save a bit of money. If not, so be it. I don't want to sacrifice the longevity of this engine in the name of a few dollars saved.

Thinking about it, I'd bet that any oil that meets HTO-06 will be a really good oil. The spec and the vehicle are too new to have a lot of anecdotes (let alone data) behind them -- not to mention that RDX owners for the most part probably aren't the type to be interested in oil -- but meeting HTO-06 might be enough to recommend an oil.

What I'm saying is, if you find an HTO-06 oil that's cheaper that Mobil 1, you can pretty much rest assured that it'll do well for you even if you can't get any specific feedback on it.

That's my armchair analysis, anyway.

d00d summed it up. I did not mean to single out this particular thread, but what I was basically saying is if you are spending a lot of money on an expensive car, I would use what they recommend. Some people who own these vehicles will try and cut corners to save a buck on a qt of oil, which is also odd. Especially after forking out thousands for the vehicle itself.

Any oil that meets the HTO-06 specifications will be absolutely fine to use, and maybe even better than M1. This goes for any specification.

For consumers, the specifications are all we really have to truly judge oil quality. This does not mean better oils don't exist. They do. You're just taking a chance with some oils that don't meet certain specifications, many of which are stringent.

I think PP is tough to beat on a cost/performance basis. Being their 5w30 meets that specification, I would use it.

I don't think any HTO-06 oil will be $10 cheaper than M1. Maybe $3.
If you catch a sale a little more.

There are only a couple of us on this site that have an RDX, which is currently the only vehicle that requires HTO-06 oil. From the posts I've seen, we're all using an oil that is certified to this spec.

I agree with Buster - Honda has done plenty of testing to mandate this oil for this vehicle. Turbos are known to coke up, and I wouldn't want to be the Guinea Pig that finds out that some cheaper oil doesn't hold up.

I just switched from Mobil 1 to PP, but not because of price. There has been discussion on another forum that suggested that people using Mobil 1 were more prone to Timing Chain Tensioner failures. Since the RDX has a timing chain, I'd rather not take the chance.

Another M1 bash. Cams fail,high iron, excessive oil burn off, and now chain failures. Better tell Honda about this.

cheers3.gif

I don't know what you guys are smoking, but last I checked, Mobil 1 5w-30's specs don't mean a bag of beans.

Let's not forget too, the 2.4 itself is NOT hard on oil. So then we have Mobil 1 5w-30 on one hand, with it's disasterous test results, on the other, German Syntec, with a extensive history and specs going way beyond anything Mobil 1 5w-30 can dream of...withthe added layer of Honda's CAFE bias.

Hmm, I would dare say the the "overpriced" Mobil 1 might not actually be the ~safe bet~ you guys are assuming. Call me crazy, I'd at least consider M1 0w-40 to split the difference. In a really warm climate, 5w-40 HD would be prefered.

GC or the Edge would be my pick. Really, any turbo oil would work.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
cheers3.gif

I don't know what you guys are smoking, but last I checked, Mobil 1 5w-30's specs don't mean a bag of beans.

Let's not forget too, the 2.4 itself is NOT hard on oil. So then we have Mobil 1 5w-30 on one hand, with it's disasterous test results, on the other, German Syntec, with a extensive history and specs going way beyond anything Mobil 1 5w-30 can dream of...withthe added layer of Honda's CAFE bias.

Hmm, I would dare say the the "overpriced" Mobil 1 might not actually be the ~safe bet~ you guys are assuming. Call me crazy, I'd at least consider M1 0w-40 to split the difference. In a really warm climate, 5w-40 HD would be prefered.

GC or the Edge would be my pick. Really, any turbo oil would work.

OK, your are crazy!
Kidding, sort of. Kidding again!
M1 oils have served me well and I'm sure Honda and XM tested M1 extensively before Honda endorsed M1 5-30.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Let's not forget too, the 2.4 itself is NOT hard on oil.

While the block is the same (K-Series), this is not a 2.4 L motor, it's 2.3 with significantly lower compression (especially considering it runs on premium) to work best with the turbo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back