Oils other than Mobil 1 that meet Acura HTO-06?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tig1
A car as pricey as an Acura turbo; why would you worry about the price of oil? Honda has that spec for a reason, so I would use an oil that meets it.

I don't see how the price of her car dimishes her sense of value. She owns a nice car because she is very good with money, not because she throws it around foolishly.

Yeah, that's kind of ignorant. That posting style seems well-entrenched in the youth-oriented car forums. Rather than saying the same thing in a positive/polite way: "The speced oil might be worth the extra money", he takes a cheap slam at someone he is far removed from.

The original poster was smart enough to ask a decent question, at the right place. He also cares enough to do the job for his g/f, but at the best price for him. This action itself shows a minfullness of money in general.

Anyway, I think you can file this away under "envy".

Originally Posted By: Canawler
As far as certification wording goes, that seems to be a hot topic on the forum. Some oils that use "meets or exceeds" are not actually on the cert. lists but some that are on GM's lists, for example, do use the term.

I don't know if the cert list maintained by the manufacturers are necessarily up-to-date. But in the case of ConocoPhillips, they certainly know that if one brand is certified by the manufacturer, the other brand that they know to be identical (except for the bottle) meets or exceeds the spec.

Originally Posted By: D189379
A car as pricey as an Acura turbo; why would you worry about the price of oil? Honda has that spec for a reason, so I would use an oil that meets it.

I don't see how the price of her car dimishes her sense of value. She owns a nice car because she is very good with money, not because she throws it around foolishly.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Yeah, that's kind of ignorant. That posting style seems well-entrenched in the youth-oriented car forums. Rather than saying the same thing in a positive/polite way: "The speced oil might be worth the extra money", he takes a cheap slam at someone he is far removed from.

The original poster was smart enough to ask a decent question, at the right place. He also cares enough to do the job for his g/f, but at the best price for him. This action itself shows a minfullness of money in general.

Anyway, I think you can file this away under "envy".

I think both of you have really misinterpreted what tig1 was saying/meaning. I can pretty much assure you he is not youth-oriented, did not intend it as a cheap slam, nor does he have any envy for what kind of car anyone on here drives.

If you left the oil in the engine for three months it might cost you an extra 2 cents a day to use M1 or other top flight oils . Six months; 1 cent a day. Also Honda did recomend M1 5-30 as the FF.

About 2+ years ago Honda R&D tested readily available synthetic oils and all but 2 failed miserably. Mobil 1 produced no deposits at all. I would use M1 personally, but PP and Amsoil would also be on my list. Amsoil is not officially cert. but I'd have confidence their oils meet this test based on how they formulate.

I do find it funny how people spending thousands on their car purchase, then worry about a $1-$3 difference in price of a qt of oil. Makes no sense.

Originally Posted By: buster
About 2+ years ago Honda R&D tested readily available synthetic oils and all but 2 failed miserably. Mobil 1 produced no deposits at all. I would use M1 personally, but PP and Amsoil would also be on my list. Amsoil is not officially cert. but I'd have confidence their oils meet this test based on how they formulate.

I do find it funny how people spending thousands on their car purchase, then worry about a $1-$3 difference in price of a qt of oil. Makes no sense.

The title of this thread is not "My girlfriend bought an expensive car and can't afford to use Mobil 1 in it." Give it a rest guys.

Feel free to point me to some test results that show Mobil 1 blasting away all competition, and I'll happily stick it in every time.

I hastily picked up a 5 liter jug of Mobil 1 oil for my girlfriends car after she ran the OLM 600 km's past 0%, but I couldn't help notice the jugs of Syntec and other brands next to it that were ~$10 cheaper than the Mobil. I was in a bit of a hurry so I just grabbed it and ran out. The owners manual mentions Mobil 1, but I'm sure some of the other brands meet this spec. I'd rather not pay a premium for Mobil 1 next time, if there's another oil that will hold up just as well.

So what are you guys using?

Use what is called for, period. I would NOT use Syntec in that engine unless you want deposits.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Acura_RDX_Mobil_1_Brochure.pdf

Is it worth saving $10 to end up with engine problems?

LOL, (OT, I know.) The RDX is a real blast to toss around, but there is really nothing fancy or expensive about it. Mercury or Maybach, we're all here for information and lively discussion...

slalom44 posted an M1 UOA on his RDX last month here and there is plenty of life left in there. Buster's post about this being (strictly) a deposit test seems very valid after reviewing the numbers.

I hastily picked up a 5 liter jug of Mobil 1 oil for my girlfriends car after she ran the OLM 600 km's past 0%, but I couldn't help notice the jugs of Syntec and other brands next to it that were ~$10 cheaper than the Mobil. I was in a bit of a hurry so I just grabbed it and ran out. The owners manual mentions Mobil 1, but I'm sure some of the other brands meet this spec. I'd rather not pay a premium for Mobil 1 next time, if there's another oil that will hold up just as well.

Use what is called for, period. I would NOT use Syntec in that engine unless you want deposits.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Acura_RDX_Mobil_1_Brochure.pdf

It calls for Mobil 1 or ANY oil that meets Acura HTO-06. Why would I have engine problems if an oil meets the spec? I already mentioned Syntec doesn't meet the standard, so I won't use it.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Back to my original post.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Pennzoil Platinum meets the HTO-06 spec.

Looks like that's my only other option right now. Maybe I'll hold out so a few more people can tell me that I shouldn't be concerned about money.

100 years from now, no one on here will know the difference.
thumbsup2.gif

It calls for Mobil 1 or ANY oil that meets Acura HTO-06. Why would I have engine problems if an oil meets the spec? I already mentioned Syntec doesn't meet the standard, so I won't use it.

Then use an oil that meets HTO-06 and be done with it. PP and Mobil 1 meet it. Syntec doesn't. Saving $10 on oil just doesn't make sense when spending thousands on a vehicle.

Use what your owner's manual calls for. An oil either meets a specification or it doesn't. It's not complicated.

"Hey guy's I just bought a brand new car. It cost me about $30,000, and that doesn't include interest. I'm concerned though that brand A is $2 more a qt than brand X."

Where is the logic?

so why does the m1 5w30 meet it and not the 10w30? If you live in the south, I don't think you need a 5w-30. I would assume the additives are the same within the same line regardless of viscosity.

Originally Posted By: joel95ex
so why does the m1 5w30 meet it and not the 10w30? If you live in the south, I don't think you need a 5w-30. I would assume the additives are the same within the same line regardless of viscosity.

It might meet it. I haven't checked, but the manual says 5W30. It gets cold here in winter.

Originally Posted By: joel95ex

The 10W-30 might but we don't know as Acura did not test 10W-30 since they want 5W-30 in that car. If the 5W-30 will handle the heat of a turbo, the heat in Texas is a walk in the park.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back