Oil suggestions for supercharged Subaru BRZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow
And thus increasing the bearing drag, and reducing fuel economy...hmmm...
Some track applications like the Subaru have a valve to cut flow to the cooler for street or winter driving. Street and track BMWs have been known to use an oil cooler that transfers heat back and forth to the radiator anti-freeze coolant system, keeping the oil from getting too cold or too hot.

Originally Posted By: jrustles
Oil coolers don't generally cool oil any lower than NOT.

Can't agree on that. As long as the oil cooler is exposed to air that is cooler than the oil, some heat will be transferred away, reducing whatever oil temperature entered the cooler. Kind of simple ideas here.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Garak a nicely summed up and correct history lesson but it has nothing do do with this thread. That's why Shannow off topic remarks are confusing;

I think the lack of the historical content is the only thing that could have been confusing in the least. Shannow's point was clear. Your point about the HTHS 3.5 oils was clear. The point about HTHS versus operational viscosity is clear.

Of course, the real query is what HTHS would be sufficient for this vehicle, and significant differences can be found within the 30 grade, for instance.

Shannow: As odd as it may seem to be concerned with adding oil cooling at this point in the game, it may be a very reasonable point. In my G, for example, most performance upgrades also strongly suggest additional oil cooling (of which there are many, many direct fit options), since high oil temperatures will result in limp mode, so just going thicker in isolation won't do the trick. Of course, the G37 and 370Z have some very high oil temperatures with even conservative driving, so it's "easier" to trip the limp mode. That may not be the case with the BRZ; there could be sufficient reserve cooling from the factory. But, I think that from now on, when improving performance of a vehicle, oil cooling is going to have to be considered as much as oil grade. Many professionals consider this, but there are plenty of people who don't, and at their own peril, from a performance and longevity perspective.

As for ElastoHydro's and jrustles' arguments on oil coolers, do recall that some on the market are thermostatically controlled and others are not.

I'm one to say 5w40 Redline oil/ RL 5w30 in winter IMO. If compression is high like you say then a premium octane AND a upper cylinder lube like RL Si-1. Nice car!

If 5w-40 is acceptable in the summer, what would be wrong with the 5w-40 in the winter? The whole point of a 5w-xx of any type is to avoid seasonal oil changes. Of course, I'm not going to mention that RL 5w-30 has a fairly high HTHS to begin with given how this has gone. Oops, I guess I just did.

Originally Posted By: Cjsporl
This is a UOA from my car about a month ago.

20ub9dk.jpg

Ah, now I know who you are. I think that oil needs more phosphorus.
lol.gif
Wow! And I don't recall seeing very many, if any, insoluble readings of 1.0%.

IMO, your best bet is to review the threads at ft86club for people with similar mods to yours and see what they're running. Check the long uoa thread and the racing and FI forums. And use an oil that doesn't make up their own viscosity/grade. I really don't think you can go wrong with a race Xw-20 (from Motul, Red Line, or Amsoil) or a Euro oil.

-Dennis

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back