Oil Selection For Nissan VWel 3.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some experience/guidance on selecting a oil for
my new Infiniti G37X Sport. There have been some
oil related issues with the 370Z, Maxima and Infinity
coupes that have versions of this engine. Nissan recommends
their ester blend (conventional base), 5w30. I'm unable to
find any UOAs to help make an intellegent decision.

I'm considering Redline (ester based) or Renewable Lubricants 5w30.
Many on the NICO forms are using Royal Purple, but have no
data to back their claims. Any guidance would be apppreciated. Thanks....Jon

Last edited:
I see no reason to trust your engine to anything other than Redline - its a very strong, proven, and established ester product.

If I had an expensive new car from Nissan I would always use their oil, if recommended. It is about the same price and is a safe choice. Nissan and engines have a long history of quality engineering and I wouldn't hesitate to trust their advice.

Infiniti wants you to use an oil with the API starburst and an API SM rating. Renewable Lubricants (RLI) and Red Line have neither of those. They should still work because they're great oils. The only caveat is that in the off chance you have an engine failure, you might have a problem getting warranty service if they find out you were using an un-certified oil.

If you're okay with that possibility -- which, in all fairness, is pretty darn slim -- you'd be fine with either oil, but RLI gets my vote for sure.

I just got rid of my 370Z for another 4Runner. For the price they are charging for the Nissan Ester oil ($11/qt???) you could be buying Redline, which is what Id recommend. I used PureOne filters on mine. If you go to the370z.com and search for AK's thread on changing his oil to Redline you can get some consensus.

Originally Posted By: GMZ
I just got rid of my 370Z for another 4Runner. For the price they are charging for the Nissan Ester oil ($11/qt???) you could be buying Redline, which is what Id recommend. I used PureOne filters on mine. If you go to the370z.com and search for AK's thread on changing his oil to Redline you can get some consensus.

Was that 370Z fun to drive?
19.gif

That was the only time it was fun unfortunately, that and some stuff I have going on made it impractical. Cant risk going triple digits all the time to enjoy the car.

Originally Posted By: GMZ
That was the only time it was fun unfortunately, that and some stuff I have going on made it impractical. Cant risk going triple digits all the time to enjoy the car.

I bet it was hard giving her up :^( Yeah,Z`s are one of the most impracticle cars made,but the absolute funnest!!!!! I`ve had 3 of them.

the VQxxHR engines, as I recall, use an oil high in borate esters. It's apparently for the VVEL and the plasma-sprayed cylinder liners.

I bet you could throw some wb Valvoline 10W30 in that beast and it`d be just fine. I`m guessing the Nissan Ester oil is just a way for Nissan to get more $ out of people. If they insisted on ester oils,I`d buy some Redline 30 weight over the dealer stuff in a heartbeat.

Originally Posted By: element_42
the VQxxHR engines, as I recall, use an oil high in borate esters. It's apparently for the VVEL and the plasma-sprayed cylinder liners.

Interesting. Where did you hear this?

Use the Redline oil....at 233,000 miles the engine in my Q45 runs like brand new{I have used Redline for the last 140,000 miles in it and Mobil 1 before that since brand new.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: element_42

Interesting. Where did you hear this?

Oh on one of the Nissan forums a while back.

I use Mobil 1 Extended Performance in my 08 Infiniti G35X and 04 Nissan Maxima. Plenty good enough. No need for a boutique oil. Get an API Star burst oil.

Thats the consensus on the 370Z/G37 forums. Between the VVEL system and some type of plasma ionized coating ([censored]?) on the internal surfaces. Funny story, I dropped my FF at under 1K and put in the cheapest dino from Wallys. The engine was quite a bit louder, so much so that my gf who was helping me commented on it. I got rid of it 1K miles later with that same oil in, so I didnt have a chance to put RL in it to see any difference.

ETA: Engine code is VQ37VHR for "Very High Rev"

Well if that's the case, then I can't imagine why they wouldn't have made their own oil spec for it. A starburst and an SM rating are pretty vague specs AFAIK...

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Well if that's the case, then I can't imagine why they wouldn't have made their own oil spec for it. A starburst and an SM rating are pretty vague specs AFAIK...

I think they just have their house brand, there is a lot of this OEM brand spec-ing or recommending going on lately esp with imports. Wonder what a VOA would look like. Got the pic from this thread on here which has a good explanation via my350z.com.
7589.jpg

...engine code VQ37VHR, V=VVEL HR=High Responce
..Nissan plasma coated piston bores are only on the
3.8 R35 GTR motor.
..VQ37VHR (and other Nissan motors) have internal wear surfaces
(ie. cam followers, etc.) that are Hydrogen free DLC coating.
..DLC = diamond like coating. Nissan Ester oil is a nano
particle lubricate, which acts like "ball bearings" to provide
an ultra slippery friction contact.

Technical corrections....V=variable, not VVEL which
is a considerably different system Most Nissan engines
designations start with V but do not necessarily
have the VVEL...ie VQ35VHR=no VVEL, but does have
a variable valve system....VQ37VHR=VVEL= Variable Valve
Event and Lift

Technically all Nissan coatings are applied by plasma
process, but for some reason they only use the word
"plasma" when referencing the 3.8 R motor