Nissan VQ35HR & ester oil. I have some questions for your expertise

Long time lurker, first time poster.
By no means an expert on oil

All replies with be read, considered, and appreciated.

My go to oil: Rotella T6 5w-40

I have a Nissan 350Z with the VQ35HR engine. My cousin is a mater mechanic at Nissan and was talking to him the other day about oil. According to him my car is supposed to use their Nissan ester oil because of some fancy logic I'm not 100% sold on.

I tried finding an ester oil but all I could really find were race oils and I have read they aren't great for regular street driving. My car is 90% street use and 10% track use.

What are the differences between these ester "race oils" and my old school Rotella T6?

On top of that is there a better oil than the Rotella T6? Maybe a Motul X-cess oil?

Thank you for your time

To which race oils do you refer? Redline makes a line of PAO/Ester oils; Their race oils do not have an additive package for extended use.

Racing oils provide more wear protection than motor oils for passenger vehicles, however, these products contain fewer detergents and are not suitable for street use

Those are their red label oils; their blue label oils are also PAO/Ester oils and are suitable for use in passenger car applications.

I used them for many years as I got qts for $4.99; at this point they are not a good value for your application IMHO. No way your engine "should use" ester oil; probably a Nissan upsell

Bmsluite

To which race oils do you refer? Redline makes a line of PAO/Ester oils; Their race oils do not have an additive package for extended use.

Those are their red label oils; their blue label oils are also PAO/Ester oils and are suitable for use in passenger car applications.

I used them for many years as I got qts for $4.99; at this point they are not a good value for your application IMHO. No way your engine "should use" ester oil; probably a Nissan upsell
On the nissan marketing hype I agree. I did not see that they had a separate blue label type. But at $60 an oil change that's quite pricey. Have you ever tried the motul stuff? I read some UOAs and they also did not seem to perform well enough for the cost.

I see the amsoil is amazing on UOAs but what makes it so much better than all the other oils and is the crazy price justifiable? I also could not see myself running a 25k mile oil interval like they claim.

My cousin is a mater mechanic at Nissan and was talking to him the other day about oil.
Ask him why they don't put that in the vehicles that come to the dealership for oil changes...

No way your engine "should use" ester oil; probably a Nissan upsell
I won't get into what they "should use" but I've seen where Nissan actually recommends ester-based oil. I could have sworn it's in my own owner's manual (I have the same engine as the OP) or FSM but am not seeing it now. I do know the difference between recommended and required too. All the Nissan even recommends is API SM and 5W-30 (in the US). They don't require anything specific.

Long time lurker, first time poster.
By no means an expert on oil

All replies with be read, considered, and appreciated.

My go to oil: Rotella T6 5w-40

I have a Nissan 350Z with the VQ35HR engine. My cousin is a mater mechanic at Nissan and was talking to him the other day about oil. According to him my car is supposed to use their Nissan ester oil because of some fancy logic I'm not 100% sold on.

I tried finding an ester oil but all I could really find were race oils and I have read they aren't great for regular street driving. My car is 90% street use and 10% track use.

What are the differences between these ester "race oils" and my old school Rotella T6?

On top of that is there a better oil than the Rotella T6? Maybe a Motul X-cess oil?

Thank you for your time
Nissan "ester oil" is not really an ester oil. It does contain a small amount of polyol ester (POE) in the base oil but no more than about 5%. TGMO 0W-20 also contains POE. If you want a POE-containing oil, Red Line High-Performance has the highest amount. Motul ester oils and all Mobil 1 FS and ESP varieties (Euro varieties) also contain POE, along with Amsoil Signature Series.

Rotella is probably fine. You don't really need POE. You don't need an imported oil such as Motul, as there is nothing special about Motul. For track use, you can fill up with a racing oil.

You don't say where you live but if you don't live in a cold climate, Mobil 1 15W-50 would be an upgrade over the Rotella in terms of the base-oil viscosity, HTHS viscosity, ZDDP and moly content, and base-oil quality.

I bought a Nissan 370Z new in 2009. The factory recommended the ester oil on that model too. It was fairly expensive and after doing some reading, decided to use Redline 5W-30 instead.I ran it almost exclusively for 10 years.
The VQ engines are good ones but run hot and are hard on oil. I only went 5000 miles between changes and used either a Mobil 1 # 110 filter (slightly oversized) or the equivalent Fram Ultra, and changed the filters every other oil change.
My Blackstone oil analysis reports were excellent,
I usually ordered the oil & filters online and did my own changes. The cost was around $80 -$85 if I recall. I don't mind spending a little extra to take good care of my vehicles.