Microgard Select Virgin Oil Filter Cut Open & Inspection

Ok, I called Wix Customer Service (704-869-3421) and mentioned that the Wix website doesn't show any beta/efficiency information for the Wix XP but it does for the regualar Wix filters (typically shown as 95% @ 20u), and asked if they had any information on the Wix XP efficiency they could share.

The gal I talked to said they are told to basically say: "The media configuration is proprietary, and that the efficiency is 99% @ 35u to anyone who asks about the efficiency". She didn't say on which Wix XP filter model that is based on, but it was probably on their largest filter size. She couldn't tell me why Wix chooses to not show the efficiency information on their website when they can give the info to people over the phone. 🤷‍♂️

When I look at all the Wix XP filters lilsted on O'Reilly's website today, I don't see any efficiency reference at all. Maybe it was there at one time, but not now it seems. But if it use to say "99% @ 35u" then that seems to match to what I was told on the phone today.

If you look at Andrew's ISO 4518-12 test data, the Wix XP came in at 62% @ 20u and 88% @ 35u. The filters he used in that test were for a 6.2L Chevy V8, so if it was smaller in size than what Wix bases its XP efficiency number on, then that could explain the difference.

Sounds like “proprietary” rock catcher technology to me! I’m somewhat interested if Mann can improve the XP/Platinum at all, the Purolator Boss isn’t that bad!

Ok, I called Wix Customer Service (704-869-3421) and mentioned that the Wix website doesn't show any beta/efficiency information for the Wix XP but it does for the regualar Wix filters (typically shown as 95% @ 20u), and asked if they had any information on the Wix XP efficiency they could share.

The gal I talked to said they are told to basically say: "The media configuration is proprietary, and that the efficiency is 99% @ 35u to anyone who asks about the efficiency". She didn't say on which Wix XP filter model that is based on, but it was probably on their largest filter size. She couldn't tell me why Wix chooses to not show the efficiency information on their website when they can give the info to people over the phone. 🤷‍♂️

When I look at all the Wix XP filters lilsted on O'Reilly's website today, I don't see any efficiency reference at all. Maybe it was there at one time, but not now it seems. But if it use to say "99% @ 35u" then that seems to match to what I was told on the phone today.

If you look at Andrew's ISO 4518-12 test data, the Wix XP came in at 62% @ 20u and 88% @ 35u. The filters he used in that test were for a 6.2L Chevy V8, so if it was smaller in size than what Wix bases its XP efficiency number on, then that could explain the difference.

Ouchtown, pop: Wix XP

Sounds like “proprietary” rock catcher technology to me! I’m somewhat interested if Mann can improve the XP/Platinum at all, the Purolator Boss isn’t that bad!
True ... if the XP was the same efficiency as the Boss, I'd put them both on my "I'd use them" list.

Strange, your link shows the ISO efficiency info in the "detailed description" section. In the link I gave earlier to all the Wix XP filters, when you open any of the XP filters there is no efficiency info in the detailed description - 🤷‍♂️

Here's a direct link to the same 51372XP model filter. No efficiency info in the "detailed description" text.

1650325377784.png

This is the "detailed description" section in your link for the same Wix XP filter model. Your link shows a whole extra paragraph in the detailed description.

1650325777366.jpg

Last edited:
Strange, your link shows the ISO efficiency info in the "detailed description" section. In the link I gave earlier to all the Wix XP filters, when you open any of the XP filters there is no efficiency info in the detailed description - 🤷‍♂️

Here's a direct link to the same 51372XP model filter. No efficiency info in the "detailed description" text.

View attachment 96906

This is the "detailed description" section in your link for the same Wix XP filter model. Your link shows a whole extra paragraph in the detailed description.

View attachment 96912
I knew I was special! I just knew I had seen Wix efficiency in O'Reilly's website before. Not that the XP's is any good, that's why it's "proprietary"! Sounds like Ascent 's testing shows it as even WORSE than quoted.

I knew I was special! I just knew I had seen Wix efficiency in O'Reilly's website before. Not that the XP's is any good, that's why it's "proprietary"! Sounds like Ascent 's testing shows it as even WORSE than quoted.
Maybe Wix sends the ones with leaking internals to the O'Reilly's on the west coast. 😄

That's old. Since then wix has had major changes to all their filters being bought by mann and Hummel. The ultra has changed significantly. The fram titanium however is still the original og fram ultra from advance auto.

That's old. Since then wix has had major changes to all their filters being bought by mann and Hummel. The ultra has changed significantly. The fram titanium however is still the original og fram ultra from advance auto.
It wasn't old when I called them and made that post. Have you called WIX currently and ask them what the efficiency is on the XP? I highly doubt it's any better than the info I gave in my post.

Look at this independent ISO 4548-12 efficiency test. WIX XP came in at ~62% @ 20u, and ~88% at 35u ... even though WIX said it was rated at 99% @35u.

efficiency-compairson-graph-pic-2-jpg.59366

Last edited:
It wasn't old when I called them and made that post. Have you called WIX currently and ask them what the efficiency is on the XP? I highly doubt it's any better than the info I gave in my post.

Look at this independent ISO 4548-12 efficiency test. WIX XP came in at ~62% @ 20u, and ~88% at 35u ... even though WIX said it was rated at 99% @35u.

efficiency-compairson-graph-pic-2-jpg.59366
That graph showing the results is from 2021. They've made changes since then to the fram ultra and wix filters. The fram titanium filter still applies to those tests done since it's still the og fram ultra.
As far as the xp the construction is a lot like purolator boss now. There's some videos on YouTube on how they are made now with the changes but idk the numbers on them. I've been running either the purolator boss or fram titanium on the truck since the titanium is still the same as the old fram ultra. I was looking at the microgard select for the beater car. Been curious about that.

That graph showing the results is from 2021. They've made changes since then to the fram ultra and wix filters. The fram titanium filter still applies to those tests done since it's still the og fram ultra.
As far as the xp the construction is a lot like purolator boss now. There's some videos on YouTube on how they are made now with the changes but idk the numbers on them. I've been running either the purolator boss or fram titanium on the truck since the titanium is still the same as the old fram ultra. I was looking at the microgard select for the beater car. Been curious about that.
The Wix efficiency rating was most likely based on their giant sized spin-on - Wix and Purolator like to do it that way because a larger filter will test better for efficiency in the ISO test. Ascent's testing came in worse, so it was most likely was due to the filter's size and lab setup variables allowed in ISO 4548-12. It would be hard to conclude if it was due to a media change without more evidence.

If the XP is now basically using the Boss media, the Boss didn't do any better than the XP in the Ascent testing.

So the question is, has Wix or Purolator changed the rated efficiency for what it was back then to today? I'd have to do some digging.

Reports from a few members here found that some of the Titaniums are not wire backed media anymore. So it could be morphing right behind the Ultra. Bring your LED flashlight and inspect before buying. The new Fram Endurance (seems to be a rebadged Royal Purple) will be what I'll buy now.

Also, the Titanium has always been shown to be a synthetic blend media, so there some mystery if it's actually exactly the same as the OG Ultra, even though it looks the same. Looks don't always tell the whole story.

Last edited:
Just looked up the rated efficiency on the WIX XP and Purolator Boss. As usual, WIX does not give any efficiency info on the XP on their website, but just as before O'Reilly shows it to still be 99% @ 35u ... most likely on thier largest spin-on filter size. Purolator website says the Boss is rated at 99% at 25u based on their giant sized PBL30001 spin-on.

The Wix efficiency rating was most likely based on their giant sized spin-on - Wix and Purolator like to do it that way because a larger filter will test better for efficiency in the ISO test. Ascent's testing came in worse, so it was most likely was due to the filter's size and lab setup variables allowed in ISO 4548-12. It would be hard to conclude if it was due to a media change without more evidence.

If the XP is now basically using the Boss media, the Boss didn't do any better than the XP in the Ascent testing.

So the question is, has Wix or Purolator changed the rated efficiency for what it was back then to today? I'd have to do some digging.

Reports from a few members here found that some of the Titaniums are not wire backed media anymore. So it could be morphing right behind the Ultra. Bring your LED flashlight and inspect before buying. The new Fram Endurance (seems to be a rebadged Royal Purple) will be what I'll buy now.

Also, the Titanium has always been shown to be a synthetic blend media, so there some mystery if it's actually exactly the same as the OG Ultra, even though it looks the same. Looks don't always tell the whole story.
Yeah that's what I was trying to say about the xp media and core looking like the boss lol.
I've been curious about how it compares now to the other Mann and Hummel products.

I'll have to do more in depth digging myself as well.
The fram titanium when I bought it a few months still had the wire backed media unless the store still had and older product that hasn't received any changes.

I didn't know about the fram endurance filter at all. I'll definitely check that one out. Thank you for telling me about that.

Back