Oil For Very Hard Driven 05 Mustang Gt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 05 mustang gt 5 speed. Heavily modded and I drive it hard atleast 2-3x a day. Also the weather is very humid around 80% humidity all year around and mostly 75-90 degree weather all year around. I live in Puerto Rico
Here is my list of mods:
BBK Intake
Corsa X-pipes/Exhaust
JBA Headers
UDP
SCT Dyno Tuned
K-Member Brace /w T.L.
4.10 Gears
BMR Adjustable LCA/Panhard
Future Mods:
Steeda Tri-Ax
Eibach Pro-Street S
Zex 150, HID´s
X-mas Bonus:
Plan on making it turbo when I get my X-mas Bonus...

So back to the topic I was told by my motul dealer that the reason why most automanufacturers use 5w-20 is because it is less viscousity and gives higher mpg but at the cost of long term protection. I was recommended to switch to 5w-30. Anyone else has any imput on this?

Att. Andrew

I received this answer on another forum:
This is correct they do it to meet CAFE standards and if they can get 1mpg more out of every car they prodcue it allows them to not have to worry as much on the MPG ratings of the Trucks. As long as they are meeting the overall number that is required. Switching to 5w30 is no issue what so ever. You will see slight decrease in mileage although if you switch to Mobil 1 I doubt you will even notice any drop at all.

I run nothing but Mobil 1 in all my vehicles 5w30 in most 5w20 in the Mustang. Royal Purple or Redline are also goood but they cost to much more than Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 is as good.

Probably 0W-30 Castrol Syntec would be a good choice. Its known as GC (German Castrol) on this board. Make sure it says "Made in Germany" on the back.

welcome.gif

Hi Thanks, I was recommended Mobil1 5w-30 by a lot of people in the Mustang boards. But as you can see I deecided to come directly to the people that know oil. Well Also I plan on keeping the engine for a while so I need good protection. What is the difference between 0w-30 and 5w-30?? I know that the 5w-20 is much thinner but that is all I know about that.

Thanks Andrew

I would definitely switch to at least a 30weight
maybe a 40wt because if its driven very hard
the oil will heat up and thin it out anyway.

I disagree on needing a 40 wt. I know of a certain Ferrari driver that drives pretty hard and runs 0W20. What does Ford Say to run?

Either the Mobil 1 5w30 or 0w30 should be just fine. There will be a very slight loss in mileage and HP compared to a 0w20 or 5w20 oil.

Driving a car hard has issues regardless of oil used however.....

I traveled to your wonderful island for years on business and can honestly say that with your climate a quality TRUE SYNTHETIC such as Mobil 1 5W-30 will be great for your newer engine. While Ford's Motorcraft 5W-20, or other quality 5W-20 oils are suited for climates that have a mixture hot and cold temps where oil change intervals overlap. And if you use a dino 5W-30, then a Ford approved 5W-20 is a better choice. Mobil 1 is not a "thick" 30 weight anyway.

offtopic.gif
I use to work for Warner Lambert and worked in Vega Baja, Calolina and Fajardo. I also traveled with my counterpart to Ponce and St. Germain??, his birth place. I miss my working in Puerto Rico
frown.gif

Whimsey

quote:

Originally posted by Androdz:
So back to the topic I was told by my motul dealer that the reason why most automanufacturers use 5w-20 is because it is less viscousity and gives higher mpg but at the cost of long term protection.

That's a compact and concise way of putting it. I agree 100%.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Whimsey:
I traveled to your wonderful island for years on business and can honestly say that with your climate a quality TRUE SYNTHETIC such as Mobil 1 5W-30 will be great for your newer engine. While Ford's Motorcraft 5W-20, or other quality 5W-20 oils are suited for climates that have a mixture hot and cold temps where oil change intervals overlap. And if you use a dino 5W-30, then a Ford approved 5W-20 is a better choice. Mobil 1 is not a "thick" 30 weight anyway.

offtopic.gif
I use to work for Warner Lambert and worked in Vega Baja, Calolina and Fajardo. I also traveled with my counterpart to Ponce and St. Germain??, his birth place. I miss my working in Puerto Rico
frown.gif

Whimsey

Thanks, The island is very nice but it just been raining a lot lately. Because of my Oil pan I usually buy 5 gallon cases because buying by quart will severely put a dent in my wallet. I live in Guaynabo which is close to Carolina. I´ll check locally to see where I can get mobil one at a good price. How about amsoil? I can get that pretty cheap because my neighbor is a dealer here in PR. Does oil ever go bad or has a shelf life? Like all of the cars in my house require 5w-20.

Att. Andrew

quote:

quote:

offtopic.gif
frown.gif

Whimsey

Thanks, The island is very nice but it just been raining a lot lately. Because of my Oil pan I usually buy 5 gallon cases because buying by quart will severely put a dent in my wallet. I live in Guaynabo which is close to Carolina. I´ll check locally to see where I can get mobil one at a good price. How about amsoil? I can get that pretty cheap because my neighbor is a dealer here in PR. Does oil ever go bad or has a shelf life? Like all of the cars in my house require 5w-20.

Att. Andrew

quote:

quote:

offtopic.gif
frown.gif

Whimsey

Att. Andrew

Heck, If you can get Amsoil for a good price go for it. It's a great oil! In your case, unless warranty is a problem, I'd use their 5W-30 oils. I'm not versed on Amsoil's various oil classifications. Pablo(a site Amsoil dealer)can answer your questions best.

Whimsey

quote:

Originally posted by Clyde65:

quote:

So back to the topic I was told by my motul dealer that the reason why most automanufacturers use 5w-20 is because it is less viscousity and gives higher mpg but at the cost of long term protection.

That's a compact and concise way of putting it. I agree 100%.
wink.gif

Like that's a surpise....
grin.gif

quote:

Can they actually prove that you used 5w30 instead of 5w20???

Att. Andrew

I'm thinking if you ever have an engine or transmission warranty claim, you are already in for a battle given your mods.

Right or wrong, the discussion probably would never get to what oil you used, especially if your turbo dreams come true.

quote:

Originally posted by javacontour:

quote:

Can they actually prove that you used 5w30 instead of 5w20???

Att. Andrew

I'm thinking if you ever have an engine or transmission warranty claim, you are already in for a battle given your mods.

Right or wrong, the discussion probably would never get to what oil you used, especially if your turbo dreams come true.

Not entirely true, Of course when I take it to warranty I take out most of the stuff. They can´t void my warranty because I am letting more air into the motor, it will be a whole other 20$ when the turbos are in. But I am asking this because of the other cars in my house which require 5w-20 and I was wondering if the dealer could prove that I am used 5w-30

Thanks Andrew

From a Ford site on the Ford modular engine:

"Because these engines run hotter with tighter tolerances, they have deep sump pans that hold nearly seven quarts of oil. Oil viscosities run much lower than we are used to with vintage Ford V-8s--5W20. Running anything heavier isn't healthy for the Modular V-8 because of its tight tolerances. The lower viscosity oil also creates less internal friction, which frees up power and improves efficiency."

http://www.mustangandfords.com/techarticles/mufp_0510_swap/index2.html

Are not most 5w20's just a centstk. or 2 from being a 30w anyway? I don't think the engine will know the difference? How long are these 2-3 trips a day? what's your warm up routine before you hammer on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back