Oil for LFX (GM 3.6l V6) on track?

Hey all, long time lurker here.

These LFX engines are getting to be popular for swapping into other cars. I have one swapped into a Mazda RX8 that is built for track days and time trials and its great.

Factory oil for this is Dexos 5w30. Would you all recommend changing this at all for track use? I have an oil cooler, but haven't yet hooked up a sensor to monitor/record temps. Some LFX folks are running 40 or 50 weight but I'm not sure what data there is to support it as there still isn't a ton of data on these on track.

I have a case of Mobile 1 Euro 0w40 and a few quarts of Driven DI40 in the garage. Could/should I use that? Is it ok to mix different synthetic oils together?

Another question, the car uses a spin-on oil filter like would be used on an LFX Impala. I first used a Wix WL10255XP. On my first track day, it was somehow leaking and I couldn't figure out why. I ended up replacing it at the track with an AC Delco PF63 and it fixed it. The old filter seemed neither too tight or too loose and the seal looked fine when I took it off. Any ideas why this might be? Are Wix filters still recommended?

Thanks!

Wix filters in the past couple of years have been found by multiple members here to have leaks at the seam where the baseplate and canister meet. Because of this, I personally stopped using Wix. This is likely what you experienced.

Wix filters in the past couple of years have been found by multiple members here to have leaks at the seam where the baseplate and canister meet. Because of this, I personally stopped using Wix. This is likely what you experienced.
That's wild. I heard of that happening as well and I think it is what happened. I wish I kept it to inspect later. It reduced the car's maiden track weekend to about 9 laps, but at least I got a time trial in.

I see AC Delco has a PF63 and a PF63E which says "Professional" on it. Is the E/Pro version recommended?

Thanks

That's wild. I heard of that happening as well and I think it is what happened. I wish I kept it to inspect later. It reduced the car's maiden track weekend to about 9 laps, but at least I got a time trial in.

I see AC Delco has a PF63 and a PF63E which says "Professional" on it. Is the E/Pro version recommended?

Thanks
The E just means it's an E-core design filter, which is a nylon center tube with large rectangular windows in it, as opposed to a metal center tube. It's perfectly fine and has been on the market for ten years now.

I've been doing some research on the filter leak and found that the LFX runs an unusually high oil pressure and there was actually a TSB on oil filter installation saying to tighten to one full turn or 10Nm. I guess they updated the AC Delco filter's labels to reflect this. So maybe I j just didn't have the filter tight enough?

How does running a heavier weigh like 40 instead of the factory recommended 30 affect oil pressure? Should I avoid heavier weights?

Also, I have a dash/datalogger and can set a blue LED to represent when the oil is too cold to run hard. At what temp would the viscosity be low enough to run hard on track?

I've been doing some research on the filter leak and found that the LFX runs an unusually high oil pressure and there was actually a TSB on oil filter installation saying to tighten to one full turn or 10Nm. I guess they updated the AC Delco filter's labels to reflect this. So maybe I j just didn't have the filter tight enough?

How does running a heavier weigh like 40 instead of the factory recommended 30 affect oil pressure? Should I avoid heavier weights?

Also, I have a dash/datalogger and can set a blue LED to represent when the oil is too cold to run hard. At what temp would the viscosity be low enough to run hard on track?
I'm running 10w40 in a LGX, 2022 Acadia. I'll switch to 0w40 M1 API SP for the winter.
The LGX specifies a filter with a higher bypass setting than the older 3.6L LFX. UPF63R or equivalent.

Back