Just purchased ram 1500 v6

I have only bought new vehicles but I keep them forever. I "seat the rings" on the way home from the dealership then change the oil as soon as I get home, then I change it again at 500 miles, then go to 5K OCIs. IDK there is any disputing that wear metals are elevated in the first few hundred miles of a new engine, so I prefer to drain them out.

Here is why I disagree with that. A new car has a lot of cold starts and shutdowns during the process of getting it from the factory to the dealer. And if it sits on the dealer’s lot for a while it might get moved around a lot and not get up to operating temperature. So that new oil is going to be diluted with fuel in many cases. With my Corvette I changed out the FF at 1100 miles and it already had 2% fuel in there and had thinned out to a 5w20. So that would not have been a good idea to take the FF out to 7000 miles (which is the normal OCI for this car now that I follow the OLM) For the sake of $30 worth of oil I think it’s a smart move to do an early oil change.
One thing I do like this 3.6 is not direct injection
I'd buy the ram classic with the regular 3.6 but not the newer one with the 48v system. Yeah any euro oil would be great.
it’s a timing chain engine. And I feel way more secure with Euro Spec 0/40 bc of the timing chain requirements that the euro mfg requires

Hey guys. What about the trans? I know in Honda it’s super easy. Bc of their history. I always changed it every 15,000 religiously and never had any transmission problems even at 300,000 miles. Do you recommend I do the same thing in this new truck every 15,000 go ahead and change the transmission fluid and filter

What service intervals would you change the differentials and transfer case? When I do change it, I do plan on using redline.

Hey guys. What about the trans? I know in Honda it’s super easy. Bc of their history. I always changed it every 15,000 religiously and never had any transmission problems even at 300,000 miles. Do you recommend I do the same thing in this new truck every 15,000 go ahead and change the transmission fluid and filter

What service intervals would you change the differentials and transfer case? When I do change it, I do plan on using redline.
The ZF 8HP is bomb proof, don't worry about changing it frequently.

I would argue the Vette and V6 Ram probably are not going through similar experiences. Everyone who got behind the wheel of your car was giving it the beans even if only for two blocks.
From personal experience - EVERY dealership car gets driven like it's on racetrack, whether it's a 1.0L Scion iQ, a Ferrari powered Maserati, or a Chevrolet 4500 truck.
When hundreds of cars need shuffled in just a few overnight hours - they get shuffled fast. And that happened 2-3 times per week sometimes. It's fun, but definitely not good for the cars... Still don't know how we didn't have any accidents. Occasional scratch, but no fender benders or worse, at least in my time working there.

I think Mopar says "Lifetime Fluid", ZF says 100K KM.
No fluid is lifetime. They only want to get through the warranty. It might last that then die.
They're not lying, the fluid IS lifetime. But the quiet part is the duration of that lifetime. Which can be significantly multiplied with simple drain & fill every 30k miles. On that ZF even 40-50k miles will be fine, but I personally stay at 30k max for ATF.

I did my first oil change at 5300 miles in my Ram. 0w40 will be great for it, I’m running 0w30 in mine. As for the 8 speed there’s no reason to change it every 15k, do every 60k if you’re worried about it but they’re pretty friggin tough.

I did mine at 38,000 miles, all three looked barely used. Book says 30,000 if towing, so I was a bit over. Very easy to service all 3. FYI, the transfer case fluid is some strange stuff, I ended up using Ravenol BW44 fluid. Don't know if Redline makes an equivalent, but the Mopar stuff was expensive and the Mobil1 LT listed in the manual is a little hard to find. The Ravenol was still about $30/quart.

Here is why I disagree with that. A new car has a lot of cold starts and shutdowns during the process of getting it from the factory to the dealer. And if it sits on the dealer’s lot for a while it might get moved around a lot and not get up to operating temperature. So that new oil is going to be diluted with fuel in many cases. With my Corvette I changed out the FF at 1100 miles and it already had 2% fuel in there and had thinned out to a 5w20. So that would not have been a good idea to take the FF out to 7000 miles (which is the normal OCI for this car now that I follow the OLM) For the sake of $30 worth of oil I think it’s a smart move to do an early oil change.
This is the best reasoning behind an early change and really nobody can argue based on this point.

Congrats! Good oil choice for the 3.6L
Hello all

I just purchased a brand new Ram 1500 with the V6 with the big Memorial Day weekend sales event. The vehicle left the lot with 45 miles on it. This engine does have a timing chain and plan on running Mobil 1 0/40 in it. At what mileage should I change the oil for the first time? Yes calls for 0/20. I’m not going down the road of battling that discussion. I run that oil in everything and never had an issue.

As far as OCI. I’m not one of those long ones. Prefer to stick with the 5k mark as I do plan to keep this truck for a long time. I also only use the purolator boss filters.
Congrats! Good oil choice, I'd dump the FF at about 500 miles, but leave the filter. Then do an oil change again at 3K miles and replace the filter. 5K OCI should be OK depending on your driving conditions. I used a UOA to determine mine. Flame suit on. Drive it in good health!!!!!

I did mine at 38,000 miles, all three looked barely used. Book says 30,000 if towing, so I was a bit over. Very easy to service all 3. FYI, the transfer case fluid is some strange stuff, I ended up using Ravenol BW44 fluid. Don't know if Redline makes an equivalent, but the Mopar stuff was expensive and the Mobil1 LT listed in the manual is a little hard to find. The Ravenol was still about $30/quart.
Yup. Redline does have a fluid for it per their website vehicle look up

I went ahead and changed the oil 130 miles. There was some shinny metal in the filter. The oil came out like water and was a yellowish/green color. I’m assuming that’s graphite assembly lube. Mobil 1 0/40 went in. And dang it ran smoother Also installed K&N air filter and 1 bottle of Redline Water Wetter.

Oil psi went up 2psi at idle. From 30-32. Throttle response was a little more snappy like the motor is not coming alive. Next oil change I’ll do is 1500 miles, then again at 3k. Then stretch to 4-5k oci

I don’t know a whole lot about this engine, what I do know is the CA Hwy Patrol have them in their chargers. They beat the dog crap out of them. The officers I talked to felt they’re more reliable than the 5.3 in the Tahoe. (Lifter problems) Since I work for the dept of transportation, we work together a lot. They all miss the crown Vic.

Back