1997 ram 1500 3.9 extended OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,
I have a 97 ram 1500 with 114,700 miles on it. I have been using regular Quaker state every 3,000. I have a few leaks that amount to half a quart every 3,000 miles so I'm trying Mobil 1 10W30 high mileage currently (changed it today).
I'm interested in extended OCI. My driving is severe duty as I have frequent short trips, lots of cold weather, and a bunch of time on gravel roads. I only do about 9k a year. Would an extended OCI likely be safe? If I use Mobil 1 high Mileage EP how long would I make the first OCI before sending out a sample?

Even with the short trips and cold weather, does the engine routinely reach normal operating temperature? (Maybe you take a trip at sustained speeds for 15-20 minutes each week?) If so, it may largely cancel out the effects of short trips in the cold.

Check your air filter regularly and don't worry about the gravel roads' effect on the oil.

If you have M1 EP HM in it right now, I'd run a full year/9k miles and get a UOA. It is a stout oil and will likely handle that run well. Consider that at your current rate of oil loss, you've already replaced 30-40% of the oil by the time it needs changed, assuming you keep it topped off.

What oil/air filters are you using?

I'm running a K&N round airfilter because the original housing was letting a small amount of dust get by and finding an original was more exspensive. I know K&N isn't supposed to be great. Oil filter is a Mopar 090.

The oil is currently the plain high mileage not the EP one. I make sure I get it up to operating temp every day even if I idle for 10 minutes upon arrival. I drive a longer trip at least once a week.

Personally, I'd do a UOA at 6k miles and see how it looks. You can decide where to go from there.

I wouldn't run a K&N air filter in a dusty environment.

Originally Posted by zrxkawboy
Personally, I'd do a UOA at 6k miles and see how it looks. You can decide where to go from there.

I have been searching for a paper air filter that will fit the housing. Thus far I've had no luck.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with a K&N air filter used properly in the right application. Unfortunately for you, as @zrxkawboy mentioned, dusty environments are not the place for them. You definitely want a paper filter.

If cost is an issue for a factory air filter housing, perhaps check a local junk yard?

Good choice on the Mopar oil filter.

Since you have regular M1 HM in it now and not EP, I might cut back to 7.5k or so for a UOA. If the oil is getting up to temperature regularly, then that shouldn't be asking too much of it.

I wouldn't bother idling the truck just to raise the oil temperature. If you're sitting inside and enjoying the heater, then I can see idling it, but otherwise just let your longer trips take care of getting the oil hot.

25 year old plastic Dodge parts don't seem to have held up to well in the junkyards or on my pickup. From the dash to the filter housing everything I've seen has been cracked or severely aged. The NOS housing I found was $185 just for the housing part.

The K&N I bought just uses a round filter. There has to be a round paper airfilter to match. I won't this way with the intention of putting a paper in it and it was $50. Cleaned up the engine compartment too so it's easier to work on. And chrome makes it go faster🤣.

I think I'll go 7.5k which is the normal duty OCI and send it to Wix for the test.

Thank you guys.

Originally Posted by Rattler

I have been searching for a paper air filter that will fit the housing. Thus far I've had no luck.

Would you onsider a different housing? there are loads on ebay for cheap, get one from a comon vehicle that has good filter availability. Alternatively use pantyhouse as a pre-filter to keep most of the crap out

this here is one option for a factory airbox, but you still need to find a filter
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ram-Air-Intake-Box-2006-Ram-2500-5-9L-Diesel-3226-DRD/283801828403?hash=item4213e83c33:g:QzAAAOSwIlBeXQiz

a suuggestion you *might* not like is to use am F150 airbox and filter because they're easy to find and cheap
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-Ford-F-150-5-0-OEM-Airbox-And-Tube-with-new-air-filter/174162994022?hash=item288cec6366:g:8X8AAOSwsgdeJeHU

rubber hose to join it to your inlet and Presto!!

Hello everyone,
I have a 97 ram 1500 with 114,700 miles on it. I have been using regular Quaker state every 3,000. I have a few leaks that amount to half a quart every 3,000 miles so I'm trying Mobil 1 10W30 high mileage currently (changed it today).
I'm interested in extended OCI. My driving is severe duty as I have frequent short trips, lots of cold weather, and a bunch of time on gravel roads. I only do about 9k a year. Would an extended OCI likely be safe? If I use Mobil 1 high Mileage EP how long would I make the first OCI before sending out a sample?

Change it twice a year (April 1st and Oct 1st). An OCI of 4.5k would allow you any name-brand syn-blend HM like Quaker State, Maxlife,..etc.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the anti K&N people here. You just did what was practical for your vehicle. I would just maintain your filter to how K&N says and you should be fine, more often likely then they say. Do what you feel comfortable, likely if you have a major problem, you will throw the truck away.

I have done uoa's on my oils. I too live on a dirt road and do many short trips. The best synthetic oils were done @4400 miles.

Without a uoa I recommend that you stick with 3k and use cheaper oil. Walmart supertech and/ or stock up on oil if you see a bargain.

I just used up the last of my $1.33/qt semi syn in our FJ.

Quaker State High Mileage paired with a Fram Ultra purchased at Wal Mart is where I would be. You can use the Fram Ultra multiple times before changing. Like someone else mentioned -- change oil every 4500 miles if your doing 9000 miles annually. Pick up some Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner and run it per instructions on bottle every 3000 miles. I myself have a 2000 Ram with the 5.2L -- same engine as yours just two more cylinders. Those Magnum engines are tough/reliable engines.

Dale

the air filter is the most important filter on the vehicle, and you use the vehicle in dusty conditions.

paper filters all the way!! if the airbox is a problmem use a Honda S2000 paper filter - they are cone shaped so you can have a CAI with factory level filtration.

or use an airbox that will accept a commonly available filter, like the one in the link above.

The M1 HM 10w-30 you now have in there for 1 year or SuperTech syn 10w-30 every 6 months.
Edit: OEM oil filter available at WM.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Olas

Would you onsider a different housing? there are loads on ebay for cheap, get one from a comon vehicle that has good filter availability. Alternatively use pantyhouse as a pre-filter to keep most of the crap out

I found the paper filter that fits the K&N housing. I've got one ordered as I couldn't find one locally. Amazon will have it to me Wednesday.

Originally Posted by NH73
I wouldn't be too concerned about the anti K&N people here. You just did what was practical for your vehicle. I would just maintain your filter to how K&N says and you should be fine, more often likely then they say. Do what you feel comfortable, likely if you have a major problem, you will throw the truck away.

I probably won't throw the truck away. I've had it for 5 years and will probably be getting a second one in the next few months. Long story but these things are my "classic" pickup.

Originally Posted by Chris142
I have done uoa's on my oils. I too live on a dirt road and do many short trips. The best synthetic oils were done @4400 miles.

Without a uoa I recommend that you stick with 3k and use cheaper oil. Walmart supertech and/ or stock up on oil if you see a bargain.

I just used up the last of my $1.33/qt semi syn in our FJ.

Sounds like 3,000 miles and not bothering with the UAO might be the easiest and cheapest way to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back