Help choosing 1 oil for the family fleet

If you’re in the upper Midwest with -10° F mornings, that sets your first parameter at 0, otherwise 5.

I would go with 30 EXCEPT for that Ram you’re towing with. That creates the problem.

I can’t see how you can get the job done with fewer than two oils.
5w rating is at -30C/-22F. If -10 F is as cold as it gets, 5w is fine. $0.02

Many Alaskans use 5w30.
Just because they do, doesn’t mean they should. That type of climate is exactly why 0w oils exist. If you live somewhere that gets down below 0F on a regular basis you might as well choose an oil that has the best possible winter performance. You don’t want to be stuck not being able to start one day when it just might be -40 degrees

Just because they do, doesn’t mean they should. That type of climate is exactly why 0w oils exist. If you live somewhere that gets down below 0F on a regular basis you might as well choose an oil that has the best possible winter performance. You don’t want to be stuck not being able to start one day when it just might be -40 degrees
I would never say Alaskans rank #1 or # 50 (out of 50 states) in automobile education. But there are multiple members from Alaska on this board that use 5w30.

Back