Help choosing 1 oil for the family fleet

I would go with the cheapest 0w-8 you can find and then do some very heavy, steep towing with that Ram on the hottest day of the year.

M1 ESP 5W-30 can routinely be found in five quart jugs for $25 or less. In check eBay. A bunch of people say they are in Vietnam selling them, they're clearly not. I buy it and they ship it to me in 2 days in a Walmart box. I have no idea what the scam is.

If you want to buy the 12 quart box, it's slightly cheaper than that.

M1 ESP 0W-30 would be my pick for one oil to rule all for your fleet, or any good 5W-30. TBH, I’m running Castrol Edge in a Genesis G80 with that GDI 3.8. Hyundai didn’t call for an ACEA-compliant oil, but the Koreans for a while speced Euro oils - however ACEA A1/B1 and A5/B5 lined up with API specs.

M1 ESP 0W-30 would be my pick for one oil to rule all for your fleet, or any good 5W-30. TBH, I’m running Castrol Edge in a Genesis G80 with that GDI 3.8. Hyundai didn’t call for an ACEA-compliant oil, but the Koreans for a while speced Euro oils - however ACEA A1/B1 and A5/B5 lined up with API specs.
I have a 24 telluride with the 3.8 GDI. I read on the internet a few people having catastrophic failures because of it consuming a ton of oil. But that seems to be very much one out of thousands. Mine has had no hint of any type of problem like that. I put MOBIL1 EP 5W30 in it about every 3,000 mi. I think it's going to be fine. It's a fantastic engine and a great vehicle. And it has a great warranty, in the event anything does go bad.

2016 Toyota Sienna - 3.5L V6 (0w20 Valvoline Synthetic EP MaxLife)
2017 Jeep Wrangler - 3.6L V6 (5w30 Valvoline Synthetic)
2019 Ram 1500 - 5.7L V8 (0w40 Mobil 1)
2023 Kia Telluride - 3.8L V6 (5w30 Valvoline Euro XL-III)
Given that fleet I would go with the synthetic 5w-30 of your choice. You've only got one 0w-20 vehicle on the list and it will be just fine with 5w-30. Perha[s you should single out the Ram for special treatment if you tow with it.

Yes

1717892427765.jpg

I have a 24 telluride with the 3.8 GDI. I read on the internet a few people having catastrophic failures because of it consuming a ton of oil. But that seems to be very much one out of thousands. Mine has had no hint of any type of problem like that. I put MOBIL1 EP 5W30 in it about every 3,000 mi. I think it's going to be fine. It's a fantastic engine and a great vehicle. And it has a great warranty, in the event anything does go bad.
It’s definitely an issue that will become more prevalent as the Telluride platform ages and more people get higher mileage on them

If you’re in the upper Midwest with -10° F mornings, that sets your first parameter at 0, otherwise 5.

I would go with 30 EXCEPT for that Ram you’re towing with. That creates the problem.

I can’t see how you can get the job done with fewer than two oils.

Back