Just purchased ram 1500 v6

Hello all

I just purchased a brand new Ram 1500 with the V6 with the big Memorial Day weekend sales event. The vehicle left the lot with 45 miles on it. This engine does have a timing chain and plan on running Mobil 1 0/40 in it. At what mileage should I change the oil for the first time? Yes calls for 0/20. I’m not going down the road of battling that discussion. I run that oil in everything and never had an issue.

As far as OCI. I’m not one of those long ones. Prefer to stick with the 5k mark as I do plan to keep this truck for a long time. I also only use the purolator boss filters.

3K, no matter if the engine holds five quarts or eight quarts.
This is not 1970. Engine parts are now digitally cut and the odds for shavings of concern are over...... like over for at least 10 years ago.
Don;t sweat the small stuff. After this first OCI, move to 5k. Then ask member Overkill how long permanently.

Just run the intended OCI from day one.
Here is why I disagree with that. A new car has a lot of cold starts and shutdowns during the process of getting it from the factory to the dealer. And if it sits on the dealer’s lot for a while it might get moved around a lot and not get up to operating temperature. So that new oil is going to be diluted with fuel in many cases. With my Corvette I changed out the FF at 1100 miles and it already had 2% fuel in there and had thinned out to a 5w20. So that would not have been a good idea to take the FF out to 7000 miles (which is the normal OCI for this car now that I follow the OLM) For the sake of $30 worth of oil I think it’s a smart move to do an early oil change.

Here is why I disagree with that. A new car has a lot of cold starts and shutdowns during the process of getting it from the factory to the dealer. And if it sits on the dealer’s lot for a while it might get moved around a lot and not get up to operating temperature. So that new oil is going to be diluted with fuel in many cases. With my Corvette I changed out the FF at 1100 miles and it already had 2% fuel in there and had thinned out to a 5w20. So that would not have been a good idea to take the FF out to 7000 miles (which is the normal OCI for this car now that I follow the OLM) For the sake of $30 worth of oil I think it’s a smart move to do an early oil change.
I would argue the Vette and V6 Ram probably are not going through similar experiences. Everyone who got behind the wheel of your car was giving it the beans even if only for two blocks.

I would argue the Vette and V6 Ram probably are not going through similar experiences. Everyone who got behind the wheel of your car was giving it the beans even if only for two blocks.

Not likely because I factory ordered it and it arrived with only six miles on it. I still feel like for the sake of a cheap oil change it’s worth it. I’m normally not a fan of short OCIs but I feel like the first one is crucial.

Only you can answer when you want to change it, it depends on your tolerance of knowing that aftershave millings are floating around the entire oiling system. If it were my truck (and that is a sweet truck) i'd dump it around the 3k mark.

The second oil change it went down to 1% and then after that I had two UOAs of 5500 miles and 7400 miles that both showed 0% fuel.
In your Vette’s case, it does very much seem to be the smart decision. Not sure I would use your Vette case as the baseline for all mass produced commuters though. Do I think early dumps are always wrong? No. But are they always right? Also no.

In your Vette’s case, it does very much seem to be the smart decision. Not sure I would use your Vette case as the baseline for all mass produced commuters though. Do I think early dumps are always wrong? No. But are they always right? Also no.

True, they may not always be absolutely necessary but at the same time they won’t hurt. It’s probably the only time when I will use the term “cheap insurance” in regards to a short OCI 🤣

I'd buy the ram classic with the regular 3.6 but not the newer one with the 48v system. Yeah any euro oil would be great.

I just dumped my FF in the 24 outback with 1500 miles.
0w20 in a turbo is new to me- FA24F engine..... but the oil does stay cooler than the fb25 it replaced.

I am a fan of the early first change.. there is nothing bad about it except $$ for the oil change and I get oil and filters very cheap.

Hello all

I just purchased a brand new Ram 1500 with the V6 with the big Memorial Day weekend sales event. The vehicle left the lot with 45 miles on it. This engine does have a timing chain and plan on running Mobil 1 0/40 in it. At what mileage should I change the oil for the first time? Yes calls for 0/20. I’m not going down the road of battling that discussion. I run that oil in everything and never had an issue.

As far as OCI. I’m not one of those long ones. Prefer to stick with the 5k mark as I do plan to keep this truck for a long time. I also only use the purolator boss filters.
Pics?

Back