What oil and filter for 2017 5.3L Sierra?

Without going into every name brand, the general statement can be said that not all Frams are Fram designs, not all Wix's are Wix designs, not all house brands are from one supplier, not all [insert brand] are made in U.S. or any particular country, not all [insert brand] will have the same efficiency ratings, etc. This may vary by a particular application.
This is the truth.

Gee why don't they have DEXOS rated filters?
They do. They are made to GM specs but, unlike the oil, they don't let other brands buy the license/approval:
Screenshot_20240321-063506_Opera.jpg

They do. They are made to GM specs but, unlike the oil, they don't let other brands buy the license/approval:
View attachment 209463
I still have maybe 5 of these. I bought 12 with this part no from Rock and got 12 E’s and returned them. That was the only time they gave me a hard time. They went by the invoice and said they are clearly not E’s. I said physically they are.

Just googled and E’s are discontinued. Does this mean buying today they’re the same as 2011?

What does the "E" signify with the AC Delco filters? On Amazon I see PF61 and PF61E for my '02 Chevy Trailblazer.

Currently I am trying to decide whether to keep using the old PF58s I bought 20 years ago. I still have 6. They have been stored in the garage in their original boxes inside the case box. No signs of rust or corrosion. That's all that's ever been on it. I bought a case of PF58s when they got discontinued. That's what is on it now.

I haven't done oil changes in a long time due to free dealership oil changes. Now that I have a truck that I've kept past that point, 2017 sierra 5.3, I'm seeing a total shift in products recommended. Is pennzoil ultra platinum still good stuff. The filters seem to be even more contested. Fram used to be garbage and now I see tons of people recommending them. Last gas engine oil filters I used were purolator (mann Hummel - wix, napa, purolator) but they seem to have gone to garbage. So I looked up baldwin as thats what I use in diesels and I don't see many positive remarks for them on gas engines. What's the go to filters now?

Check the filter subforum. The momentum is swinging the other way for Fram and it is going to the not recommended category.

Check the filter subforum. The momentum is swinging the other way for Fram and it is going to the not recommended category.
Yeah its gone sideways alright adding to confusion. I still think their filters are alright depending what car you own and application. People should be grateful they get to have a 25 dollar private label filter for 13 bucks when looking at their top end offerings.

Toyota owners with spin-ons might be very lucky, now that I found good high efficiency alternatives from Donaldson/Fleetguard depending how much you wanna spend.

best to look at the filters efficiency ratings,Fram ultras seem best for the money,Wix xp ,purolators pure one, Amsoil oil and filters are also good for higher $$ & Royal Purple ,,,AC delco has different models,,myself found overall Fram ultras and Mobil 1 (purolator) are good.

I just got 2 jugs of PUP 0W-20 at Amazon under $30 each. They price match Walmart when they have them in stock. I used to buy AC Delco oil filters until they got cheap looking about 5 or more years ago. Do GM dealers use the same oil filter you buy at Walmart or is there another one?
It's the same exact filter Walmart gets. We just order them in boxes of 12, and pull out 12 filters that are individually boxed.

No you're just guessing. What I was really suggesting why since its really supposed to be about engine protection why aren't we seeing filter efficiency increased to 99 + percent at 10 microns?
I read from a Donaldson lube filter catalog that going below a certain micron rating starts to increase flow restriction (differential pressure) that wouldn't work in a full flow application. Sub 10 micron filtration are common in an auxiliary bypass filtration installation where a small amount of full flow filtration is sent into bypass filtration and back into the sump.

Also for the record, Fram Ultra (Original wire backed pink media) was claimed to filter down to 80% at 5 microns whereas Ascent Filtration Testing it was 99.8% at 15 microns, which potentially indicate it can be highly efficient below 15 microns.

I will get a video out with more details, but at the moment I cannot. I hope you all enjoy this summery of your favorite filters! You all have waited long enough and I appreciate you patients!

View attachment 59366View attachment 59367View attachment 59363View attachment 59368

1000017506-jpg.209464

I read from a Donaldson lube filter catalog that going below a certain micron rating starts to increase flow restriction (differential pressure) that wouldn't work in a full flow application. Sub 10 micron filtration are common in an auxiliary bypass filtration installation where a small amount of full flow filtration is sent into bypass filtration and back into the sump.

Also for the record, Fram Ultra (Original wire backed pink media) was claimed to filter down to 80% at 5 microns whereas Ascent Filtration Testing it was 99.8% at 15 microns, which potentially indicate it can be highly efficient below 15 microns.

1000017506-jpg.209464
You know that might be true but I doubt it because the fuel filter on my Duramax is the same size as many spin on filter for cars and it filters down to 4 microns!

You know that might be true but I doubt it because the fuel filter on my Duramax is the same size as many spin on filter for cars and it filters down to 4 microns!
Fairly certain that fuel filtration isn't subjected to higher flow rates and temperatures seen in a full flow lube filter. Also there are various fine grades of filtering media made for different applications that may or not work in full flow filtration. A 4 micron fuel filter media might not work as well in a cold/hot high flow oil environment. We can try asking @NashNative whats his take on this since he's probably the only person here that works in the industry.

Last edited:
Penz ultra platinum is plenty good for your truck if you choose it. Oil filter, pick the one you like best. More importantly, what will be your OCI

i service a ton of these trucks in our fleet. in my experience nothing runs quieter in these than A, HPL PCEO 5w-30 or B Valvoline EP HM 5w-30. for filters either a premium guard with silicone gasket from whatever supplier you’d like, AAP Carquest premium, O’Rileys microguard select, autozone STP XL, or a fram endurance FE10575.

Back