Oil choice and interval for 17 LR Discovery 3.0 V6 supercharged

Just picked up this LR and want to figure out what oil and OCI I should be using. I believe LR says every 16k miles and the oil spec in the manual is STJLR.51.5122 0w20. Did a quick search on here but couldn't find anything new about it. I did a search for that spec and saw a Ravenol oil that claims to meet it, but was wondering if there was anything else that would work, or if I should step up the grade. Plan to run this one into the ground, no warranty to worry about. Thanks!

Nice vehicle, enjoy.

I just can't bring myself to go the full interval, but I could be showing my age.....or paranoia that the manufacturers are all about minimizing costs and inconvenience for the first owners at the cost of long term durability. I would stick with the recommended weight.

A few of the Rover parts shops offer the Castrol that meets these specs. Atlantic British is one IIRC, my local indy. gets it from his wholesaler, so it is out there.

Two Rovers huh? You are and addict, welcome to the club. There is something about them, I just went back to RR after a short detour with a fantastic, much better ergonomically but sterile and frankly unexciting MB

Thanks! I just was wondering if there were any oils that "unofficially" met that spec or would be equally good, if not better suited to that engine. Like any of the Mobil ESP offerings etc.
Just found this thread for anyone else looking!

Looks like anything C5 is fine.

Thanks! I just was wondering if there were any oils that "unofficially" met that spec or would be equally good, if not better suited to that engine. Like any of the Mobil ESP offerings etc.
Just found this thread for anyone else looking!

Looks like anything C5 is fine.
It depends on how you define "fine". The JLR 5122 spec is based on ACEA C5 but contains additional test requirements, including JLR-specific tests. A regular C5 oil may or may not meet these requirements - the only way to know is to test it and get the approval.

Back