Brass slivers in oil. 3.0 V6 Accord.

I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that this pan was a cast aluminum part and was the source of the slivers. I reckoned the slivers are bits of plug thread.

If that’s the case, then a couple questions follow: how hard is a pan drop? How expensive is a new pan?

For a drain plug, which isn’t high stress, a helicoil is fine. I recommended Timesert because they make actual drain plug kits, though I recognize their cost is high.

Either thread repair kit is going to create more shavings, though lots of guys will pack the drill bit and tap with grease to catch them and minimize the shavings left in the bottom of the pan.

I went through this calculus about a year and a half ago. Buggered threads on a new (to me) car. Mercedes. V-12. New pan (stamped steel) was $250. Timesert drain plug kit was $150. I dropped the pan, fixed it on the bench, put the pan back up. An easy afternoon’s work. The pan had about 20 eTorx fasteners holding it on, but the car was up in the air, the work went quickly. Thank you Milwaukee for your lovely 1/4” electric ratchets…

anyway…

Bulletproof repair. No “fingers crossed”. Absolute certainty that it’s now good to go.

If the metallurgy on that cast aluminum is prone to failure, as was hinted by other posts, then I would prefer a timesert (or, second choice, helicoil) repair over a new pan. Steel threads will last many lifetimes of drain plug removal. It’s a better than new repair. A steel thread insert is better than the threads cut into the casting.
A drain plug failure (and the oil leaking out) isn’t something I would like to “hope” is fixed. I want it done once and done right. A leak that starts when on a road trip could strand you (best case) or ruin the engine (worst case if you don’t catch it before oil pressure goes to zero).

That's what the procedure looks like for the Timesert kit.

This shows it well. One key point, for a shop, the Timesert kit is amortized over many repairs.

Each insert is just a couple bucks.

So, in this case, his repair is the cost of his time, and a couple bucks for the insert.

The next important point about a Timesert repair is that it is often stronger than the original. Timesert is used to repair head bolt threads in aluminum blocks, for example.

It is approved by BMW for that repair. They also make repair kits for things like Ford spark plugs. Yeah I know they’re expensive, but if you’re a shop, they are the best way to go because they will last, and your customer will be happy.

For me, the purchase of the kit was well worth it to know that the repair is rock solid, better than new

Last edited:
One final point, I’m advocating something with which I have a lot of experience. Most recently, a stripped subframe mounting bolt thread deep in the frame. It absolutely needed to be as strong as new. It needed to be perfect. An M14 bolt. Serious repair.

Time-sert.

IMG_2122.jpeg

I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that this pan was a cast aluminum part and was the source of the slivers. I reckoned the slivers are bits of plug thread.

If that’s the case, then a couple questions follow: how hard is a pan drop? How expensive is a new pan?

For a drain plug, which isn’t high stress, a helicoil is fine. I recommended Timesert because they make actual drain plug kits, though I recognize their cost is high.

Either thread repair kit is going to create more shavings, though lots of guys will pack the drill bit and tap with grease to catch them and minimize the shavings left in the bottom of the pan.

I went through this calculus about a year and a half ago. Buggered threads on a new (to me) car. Mercedes. V-12. New pan (stamped steel) was $250. Timesert drain plug kit was $150. I dropped the pan, fixed it on the bench, put the pan back up. An easy afternoon’s work. The pan had about 20 eTorx fasteners holding it on, but the car was up in the air, the work went quickly. Thank you Milwaukee for your lovely 1/4” electric ratchets…

anyway…

Bulletproof repair. No “fingers crossed”. Absolute certainty that it’s now good to go.

If the metallurgy on that cast aluminum is prone to failure, as was hinted by other posts, then I would prefer a timesert (or, second choice, helicoil) repair over a new pan. Steel threads will last many lifetimes of drain plug removal. It’s a better than new repair. A steel thread insert is better than the threads cut into the casting.
A drain plug failure (and the oil leaking out) isn’t something I would like to “hope” is fixed. I want it done once and done right. A leak that starts when on a road trip could strand you (best case) or ruin the engine (worst case if you don’t catch it before oil pressure goes to zero).

The pan is aluminum, dropping it isn't fun. The larger bits of thread looked like aluminum in the pan, but the slivers really looked like 24K Gold. I am curious enough now that I'm going to strain the oil.

The pan is aluminum, dropping it isn't fun. The larger bits of thread looked like aluminum in the pan, but the slivers really looked like 24K Gold. I am curious enough now that I'm going to strain the oil.

It's not fun, but it's not terrible either. The hardest part is getting the front downpipe out of the way, so that depends on your climate. For me it wasn't hard, but I have a no rust car in a southern climate, it came apart easily. Other than that it us just a bunch of 10mm bolts.

Of course, if it is me, and I'm pulling the pan, there's a whole list of 'while I'm there' type things.

Oil pick up o-ring...which leads on to, 'might as well do the oil pump service if I'm this far'....which requires removing the timing belt, so I might as well do that too. :)

I'm kidding, I'd probably just fix the pan, do the pickup o-ring and call it a day.

It's not fun, but it's not terrible either. The hardest part is getting the front downpipe out of the way, so that depends on your climate. For me it wasn't hard, but I have a no rust car in a southern climate, it came apart easily. Other than that it us just a bunch of 10mm bolts.

Of course, if it is me, and I'm pulling the pan, there's a whole list of 'while I'm there' type things.

Oil pick up o-ring...which leads on to, 'might as well do the oil pump service if I'm this far'....which requires removing the timing belt, so I might as well do that too. :)

I'm kidding, I'd probably just fix the pan, do the pickup o-ring and call it a day.
If you're doing the timing belt, don't forget the water pump
And you might as well do hoses and a thermostat while you're in there, and charge the motor mount that you have to unbolt, and change the power steering fluid, and don't forget the serpentine belt pullies and tensioners

And if you have the oil pan off why not do rod bearings

If you're doing the timing belt, don't forget the water pump
And you might as well do hoses and a thermostat while you're in there, and charge the motor mount that you have to unbolt, and change the power steering fluid, and don't forget the serpentine belt pullies and tensioners

And if you have the oil pan off why not do rod bearings

Lol, indeed.

Although, both of my J Series cars are still on their original thermostats. Been through several cheapo aftermarket motor mounts though.

Lol, indeed.

Although, both of my J Series cars are still on their original thermostats. Been through several cheapo aftermarket motor mounts though.

I replaced all my mounts and a trans mount or two with eBay specials. I replaced the liquid filled (EX-L mounts) with solid and encased a couple of them in PL Premium Polyurethane to beef them up and they seem to be holding up well after 40,000 miles.

I’d still wager it’s threads from bolt/pan getting in there

The j series, especially without vcm, are some of the best engines ever made, I wouldn’t worry myself

Everyone who said it was from the threads was correct. I ran the oil through a PPG paint filter and caught what looked like gold slivers, until I shot some cleaner on them and they turned silver. The larger threads say silver in oil but the fine ones don't appear that way.

I'm glad the engine is not shedding metal.

Everyone who said it was from the threads was correct. I ran the oil through a PPG paint filter and caught what looked like gold slivers, until I shot some cleaner on them and they turned silver. The larger threads say silver in oil but the fine ones don't appear that way.

I'm glad the engine is not shedding metal.

I didn't figure. You'd have to severely abuse a J30A5 to shed a bunch of metal. They usually hang together for a good long time.

This shows it well. One key point, for a shop, the Timesert kit is amortized over many repairs.

Each insert is just a couple bucks.

So, in this case, his repair is the cost of his time, and a couple bucks for the insert.

The next important point about a Timesert repair is that it is often stronger than the original. Timesert is used to repair head bolt threads in aluminum blocks, for example.

It is approved by BMW for that repair. They also make repair kits for things like Ford spark plugs. Yeah I know they’re expensive, but if you’re a shop, they are the best way to go because they will last, and your customer will be happy.

For me, the purchase of the kit was well worth it to know that the repair is rock solid, better than new
I just came across some new information that is forcing me to reconsider my position on using Timeserts for drain plug repairs. As previously outlined, my main concern with Timeserts in this application are leaks. It is very easy to not tap the threads fully perpendicular to the drilled hole and therefore, end up with a minor drip.

It appears that Timesert now sells a "pro kit" that uses a one-piece, extra-short drill bit that also contains the counterbore tool. It makes drilling and counterboring a one-step process, which IMO, will reduce the likelihood of error. Furthermore, the kit includes a seat reconditioning tool that should also help. I think these two new tools, when employed according to instructions, should greatly improve the chances of a successful repair.

It is approved by BMW for that repair.
It is definitely a popular repair option in the BMW community, but as you'll see below, with plenty of unhappy results as well:

It is definitely a popular repair option in the BMW community, but as you'll see below, with plenty of unhappy results as well:

Well, the BMW repair to which I was referring was the head bolt threads in the block. Clearly high load/torque and the Timesert handles it. No other thread repair method can handle that load.

Completely agree that getting things square is critical for a drain plug repair. So far, I’ve been able to keep them square. Doing it by eye requires some skill/experience. I’ve been doing woodworking for over 40 years and can see square (not just perpendicular in one plane, but orthogonal- truly square no matter how it’s measured) but that ability took a while to develop.

A guide makes a lot of sense. I would use one if available.

Well, the BMW repair to which I was referring was the head bolt threads in the block. Clearly high load/torque and the Timesert handles it. No other thread repair method can handle that load.

Completely agree that getting things square is critical for a drain plug repair. So far, I’ve been able to keep them square. Doing it by eye requires some skill/experience. I’ve been doing woodworking for over 40 years and can see square (not just perpendicular in one plane, but orthogonal- truly square no matter how it’s measured) but that ability took a while to develop.

A guide makes a lot of sense. I would use one if available.
I think the Timesert kit was never intended to be used in "liquid tight" applications, so a near-perfect implementation is absolutely critical for success.

By the time you purchase this pro-kit ($300), it needs to be an application with an expensive oil pan for it to make sense. A J series Honda oil pan isn't that expensive and if you aren't in the rust belt, the pan comes out relatively easily.

However, you can always justify the ownership of this kit by saying that you now have a solution to get the car fixed on a Sunday Night at 11pm...

I think the Timesert kit was never intended to be used in "liquid tight" applications, so a near-perfect implementation is absolutely critical for success.

By the time you purchase this pro-kit ($300), it needs to be an application with an expensive oil pan for it to make sense. A J series Honda oil pan isn't that expensive and if you aren't in the rust belt, the pan comes out relatively easily.

However, you can always justify the ownership of this kit by saying that you now have a solution to get the car fixed on a Sunday Night at 11pm...
Hey! Don’t underestimate my ability to rationalize a tool purchase!

So many tools, and hardware, and supplies, now that I can usually finish a job, even if new fasteners, clamps, or parts are needed…

Back