22 VW Atlas Oil Selection(and Confusion)

I wanted to follow up on this and report that with a little short of 10K on the clock, I changed the oil yesterday.

I know I should have done it sooner, but we had a baby arrive in there(a bit earlier than expected) and, well, life gets in the way.

I went with the Penzoil 0W-30 Ultra Platinum as linked above, but realized I needed more than 6 quarts so ended up topping it off with the quart of Mobil 1 0W-30 I'd bought back in January. I used a VW oil filter.

My wife was driving to work this morning and for some inexplicable reason her right rear window shattered. The officer who came to take a report said he was sure it was impact damage(there was a big hole in the center with spider web cracking out from it) but couldn't find anything that actually impacted it.

Whatever the case, I found myself at the dealer around noon today as they could do the window repair fastest(we need the car by Friday if possible) and mentioned the 10K mile service that was free/included in the purchase(I don't remember that being said). I was told that they could still run it as the "10,000 mile" with as many as 15K on it, so I'll take it out there when we get close to that mileage. At least I know its first change was done right, though.

I wanted to follow up on this and report that with a little short of 10K on the clock, I changed the oil yesterday.

I know I should have done it sooner, but we had a baby arrive in there(a bit earlier than expected) and, well, life gets in the way.

I went with the Penzoil 0W-30 Ultra Platinum as linked above, but realized I needed more than 6 quarts so ended up topping it off with the quart of Mobil 1 0W-30 I'd bought back in January. I used a VW oil filter.

My wife was driving to work this morning and for some inexplicable reason her right rear window shattered. The officer who came to take a report said he was sure it was impact damage(there was a big hole in the center with spider web cracking out from it) but couldn't find anything that actually impacted it.

Whatever the case, I found myself at the dealer around noon today as they could do the window repair fastest(we need the car by Friday if possible) and mentioned the 10K mile service that was free/included in the purchase(I don't remember that being said). I was told that they could still run it as the "10,000 mile" with as many as 15K on it, so I'll take it out there when we get close to that mileage. At least I know its first change was done right, though.
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is not correct oil!

I would not be concerned heavily with topping oil. Just used what is convient. My case with 2.0T 2018 Tiguan is using 5w30 SuperTech Synthetic(for yard equipment) that requires 0.75 qt per 10000 miles.

10k is fine. I do it in my 3 VW diesel and my Jeep Mercedes Diesel. So my Jeep has the double chain while later 0M642 has a single so ...

As long as the oil you pick claims the 504, either on bottle or website, I wouldn't bother worrying about. Labels get updated/changed constantly and spec's are added as the formula passes, gets approved, recommended, or is tested for it.

I wouldn't have used the lower HTHS Mobil1 5w30 API stuff... but your engine isn't going care about 8 ounces. Full level is better than empty. My Jetta can use a pint of just about ANY oil for topping off. So, a pint of API oil is just fine, especially since you at least picked a good full synthetic hopefully SP/GF6.

I prefer HTHS and/or additives. So, any of the 3.5+ HTHS euro/hdeo synthetic oils world be my 1st choice for topping off if the 504/507 isn't available. I am not too grade picky but VW will state both a grade and VW spec, and sometimes substitutes too. Guessing you require a "0w-30" 504. Little surprised that VW didn't switch that engine over to 508 yet, for more engine racket and even more oil consumption :ROFLMAO: .
In an emergency, I'd use any higher hths synthietc 0w30/5w30/10w30 or any 0w40/5w40. I've got a quart of Amsoil 10w40 mixed into a sump of 508 0w20. It just sounds better with a little more visc. Be glad that you get to use a 3.5+ HTHS 30 grade.

I also don't care for the 10k interval that VW recommends. After an initial filter change, I change every 5k miles. I've heard of many complaining about oil consumption with their 10k interval and 508 oil. I guess that you at least know how to use a dipstick, how to use the 710 cap, and do check top off often enough, which makes you better than 98% of the other consumers out there.

And, don't be surprised if the owner's manual or underhood sticker don't match, or changes with the MPG push, or confuses the dealer, confuses VW, or gets a underhood sticker update during a dealer service, or confuses vwvortex forum members.

I just buy the VW OEM 504 bottles from ECS or other online stores.

Simple.

The bigger decision that should be made is whether you’re going to invest in an oil extractor (you should) to make oil changes easier. I’ll never go back.

I used the 20k complimentary services too. No worries there.

I changed mine myself at 5k just to familiarize myself with the process (I bought an oil extractor after that).

I just buy the VW OEM 504 bottles from ECS or other online stores.

Simple.

The bigger decision that should be made is whether you’re going to invest in an oil extractor (you should) to make oil changes easier. I’ll never go back.
If you're doing that, consider the kits (there are several brands) of 504 xW30 from FCP, then at least you can bundle with other consumables and return for a mostly-free oil change.

VW50400/50700 is usually coupled with a range of different approvals depending on the viscosity grade of the lubricant, The most frequently seen approvals claimed in conjunction with VW50400/50700 being ACEA C3, MB229.51, MB229.31, BMW Longlife-04 and Porsche C30.

Any of the mentioned certs above will work as top up and short interval oil.

1707173233774.jpg

For future reference, though, especially since you never know what availability will be like these days, what other VW 504 oils are there out there?

The manual tells me I need a VW 504 spec oil. Mobil1 claims on their website that ESP 0W-30 meets that spec, but the bottle doesn't say so.

I'm certain there is only one single M1 ESP 0W-30 existing for years and it comes with VW 504 00/507 00 just because it was designed to meet this approval (as well as Porsche C30, BMW LL-04, MB 229.51).
I'd prefer using M1 ESP 5W-30 unless I'd live in Alaska, Canada or Minnesota and I'd go with M1 ESP 0W-30 instead.

I'm certain there is only one single M1 ESP 0W-30 existing for years and it comes with VW 504 00/507 00 just because it was designed to meet this approval (as well as Porsche C30, BMW LL-04, MB 229.51).
I'd prefer using M1 ESP 5W-30 unless I'd live in Alaska, Canada or Minnesota and I'd go with M1 ESP 0W-30 instead.
He probably is looking at the single quart bottle, which does not list 504 on the back but the 5 quart jug does. Simply due to lack of physical space. This is at least the case in the 0W-30 flavor of ESP.

That filter location is a royal pain. Was probably easier to access in the transverse mounted cars that the engine was originally designed for. Great engine though.
What I'd a pain about it? The belly pan removal?

Back