Oil Brand For My Car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi, i been researching this forum for like a day now
ooo.gif
basically not doing my essay for class but looking for the best oil (non synthetic)for my new(old) car. its a a/t 1999 honda accord ex v6 coupe with 140k miles. i was looking for a decent priced combination of oil filters and oil. i found that NAPA Gold should be decent enough because i'll be changing every 3k-3.5k. i'm still looking for an non-synthetic oil brand that i can stick with. don't want to get OE stuff because their pretty far away from my house. first i was leaning towards mobil HM but then there was a thread mobil vs pennzoil and pennzoil took the award. And it seems as if some people favor castrol over mobil too. but then there a thread where catrol didn't pass this test and they had to change their formula? and another one with mobil being the good one. heh its different in every thread.
fruit.gif
so i was wondering what would you guys recommend?? im 17 so cant afford all the expensive stuff! also when we do oil change.. do we lub around the oil filter only or do we actually fill it with oil before we put it in. that what my mechanic does.

welcome.gif

Well, in honor of TallPaul, I'd say go with Valvoline. A good petroleum oil, many choices of levels of additives, and shouldn't break your little bank keep you car in ship shape.
cheers.gif

Welcome to BITOG.

At this point in your car's life, I think you can safely run any major brand of oil without problems. You know all the big names. Every one of them produces a quality product. The differences between them are pretty minor and probably are not noticeable in an 8 yr old, 140K mile car.

Everyone will have an opinion based on.... whatever. Personally I suggest buying a quality oil when you can find it on sale. The brand doesn't matter as all the major names are API SM rated anyway. Look on the back of the bottle and you'll see the API donut printed on it.

And don't worry about posts stating one brand is better than another. Most of that is subjective and this forum tends to feed the OCD tendancies of some folks. While there are a few stand out oils, they tend to be full synthetics and are expensive. Most of the $2.50 oils you find at auto parts stores are about the same so shop on price and whatever name you like and don't worry about the rest.

Good luck!

Under your criteria ..and based on your OCI, I don't think that there's a bad choice in terms of "brand". Select your weight based on the manufacturer's recommendation ..adjust as needed for any issues like consumption and whatnot (annoying things) and be happy.

Quote:

Pennzoil Conventional is excellent, the best conventional IMO..

I 2nd that nomination. Also suggest Quaker State. But if this thread lasts for weeks, all the oil brands will get nominated... that's a guarantee!
laugh.gif

If you are going to go to Napa for your filter, you might as well go there for your oil. I'd get the Napa brand oil and use that with your filter. Napa oil is Valvoline Premium Conventional in a Napa bottle and is good quality oil. Alternatively, if you can find it, look for some Exxon Superflo. That's Mobil Clean 5000 in an Exxon bottle. Both are excellent oils that have been rebottled in other packages and as a result, have less overhead on them.

haha thanks for all the different opinions, we should have a poll! i'll wait for a few more advices before i go for my pick. i'll take all your comments in consideration. thanks

I just compared the specs on the Exxon Superflo and the Mobil Clean 5000. They are similar, but not the same. Why do you think they are the same oil, but different packaging? Granted, the dates on the webpages are about 1 year apart, so they may have reformulated and just not updated one of the pages.

since you are running 3000 oci's why not get something cheaper that is still good.

Tropartic is available at most walmarts for under 2 bucks a quart and you can get the Shell Formula at menards for under 2 bucks as well

Personally, I don't think you need to pay so much for a Napa Gold if you're only running your oil for 3-3.5k. I would use a Napa Proselect along with Valvoline MaxLife
smile.gif

Get the viscosity correct and a reasonable oci and an oil with the right specs and there may not be a bad choice. The choice might now be driven by what's on sale and what store is near by and one that will take your used oil.

I say Napa brand oil(made by Valvoline), TropArctic(dirt cheap at Wal-Mart), or whatever name brand there is on sale that one feels comfortable running...Those five quart jugs at Wal-mart are always a great value...

MC 5W-20 Semisynthetic

$10.36 for a 5 qt bottle at Wally world.
I think your engine was basck-spec'd for 5W-20 if my memory serves me right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back