Oil Advice for Corvette/Jeep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not so sure about the need for "deep cleaning". Been using Mobil1 for 3 years in the vette, and it always looked great after 6-8000 miles until the last drain a month ago. 500 miles later the new oil looked like Caltrans could use it to pave my street.

Me thinks it's the oil...

With only 500 miles on it, I'm confident in saying that if the oil was trashed, it's because your engine tune went down the tubes. Even the most marginal SM dino oil can stand 500 miles in a Vette in good tune and driven in a reasonable way. Oil color is very deceiving when comparing different oil formulations. Some additive formulations darken considerably just from heat. You can search the archives for that topic and learn all about it. So either, your engine needs to be looked into (plugs, wires, MAF, etc) or what you saw as trashed oil was just appearance change due to formulation change.

I've used PP 5W30, and the engine seems a little quieter than with M1 5W30. Maybe it's just me. Either way, they're both spec 4718M rated.

Quote:

Funny. I have the same engine in my Trans Am and it doesn't require M1.

The vette not only requires 9418M spec oil (else risk losing warranty coverage), but the oil filler cap has 5w-30 Mobil-1 written on it!
shocked.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Funny. I have the same engine in my Trans Am and it doesn't require M1.

Great point! I guess the F-body LS1 just isn't as "classy" so it can use any oil.
laugh.gif

The odd thing is that the LS1 in the f-bodies has a 5.5 quart capacity, while the LS1 in the Corvettes has a 6.5 quart capacity, so if anything, the f-body LS1 needs synthetic more since the higher capacity of the Corvette means it's slightly easier on the oil.

Very true.

As for the original poster.... I run Amsoil 5w30 in my 1997 Blazer and Amsoil 10w30 in my cammed 1998 Trans Am. Online ordering to my door is great and I have never had a problem. Their EaO Oil filters are AWESOME as well. A great 1 stop shop.

I drive the Blazer 200 miles a day, 6 days a week. No problems with leaks or whatnot.

Which is why I always put at least 6 qts. in my sump (of a good synthetic).
If you go over to www.frrax.com (f body road race/autocross site), the experienced people tell you this is one of the first things you should do if you plan on driving the thing left and right harder than a granny/grandpa (with ALL due respect to the many racing grannies/grandpas out there!) would.

Quote:

You could actually fit 7 in there. There was a post on LS1Tech.com by Mitchntx which showed the f-body oil pan (off the engine) with 7 quarts of oil in it and there was still a little bit of room leftover (where the crank wouldn't touch it that is)

I run 7.5 quarts in my C5 all the time. GM recommends running 7.5 when racing, but says to remove it after racing is over with. I don't see the point of removing it, if it's safe to run while racing, it's safe to run on the street.

Quote:

Quote:

You could actually fit 7 in there. There was a post on LS1Tech.com by Mitchntx which showed the f-body oil pan (off the engine) with 7 quarts of oil in it and there was still a little bit of room leftover (where the crank wouldn't touch it that is)

Yeah, Mitch is actually the one I was referring to when I said "experienced people over on frrax.com"!

Mitch is a great guy that knows his stuff! I've known him for probably close to ten years now! (online that is, I've never met him in person)

I can't add anything to the Corvette discussion, but the Jeep:

I take care of my mom's 03 Grand Cherokee with the 4.7L. I run 6 Quarts of Mobil 1 5W-30 and a Mobil 1 M1-301 filter. It's the plus size filter, like the Wix 51515, and the EAO15.

Mobil 1 is still cheap for me when bought at walmart in the 5 quart jugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back