Viscosity & CAFE Q&A w Corvette Development Team Leader

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is fine. But two year development is BS. I worked on developing oil for VW504.00/507.00, LL04 and MB229.51 approvals and it doesn’t take nearly as much time.
But, people who have cars that GM wants them to have, must have thing tingling feeling around their stomach how it is special.
How do you know it's BS? Where you there?

You're the guy slamming Amsoil and every other brand that doesn't meet a spec, and when GM calls for dexos R you're saying nah. Do you realize your negating 99% of what you say on a daily basis?

View attachment 176192
Geez man. I am asking you what exactly that approval is? Where is difference between M1 0W40 ESP and this one? What is unique here to Dexos R compared to Porsche A40 or C40?

Geez man. I am asking you what exactly that approval is? Where is difference between M1 0W40 ESP and this one? What is unique here to Dexos R compared to Porsche A40 or C40?
I don't know what dexos R is and whether it's some bs GM spec or not that is what the OEM calls for. I thought you agreed you should use approved lubricants?

I'm not saying there are better options, but how would one know this and at what risk are you willing to take?

Listen, use whatever you want. I doubt your engine will die and maybe something like Amsoil 0w40 SS, or HPL 0w40 would be better for the Vette. I don't know and wouldn't be able to know.

I don't know what dexos R is and whether it's some bs GM spec or not that is what the OEM calls for. I thought you agreed you should use approved lubricants?

I'm not saying there are better options, but how would one know this and at what risk are you willing to take?
I use sometimes Motul 300V that is not approved for absolutely anything.
Approvals are way to go, but they are not end to means.
As for Amsoil, I don’t think you fallowed that discussion carefully.
This is gimmick. It sells. Is there any issue with that engine that requires some specific oil and not M1 ESP 5W30 or any other MB229.51/52 compliant oil?

For answers to these mind-melting questions, let's go to the AMSOIL Blog.

AMSOIL claims that, upon in house testing, their existing Signature Series oils already outperform dexos R.

I am still fascinated by XOMs qualifier that the 0W40 is catalytic converter compliant, but 5W50 isn't, in the M1 Supercar line.

For answers to these mind-melting questions, let's go to the AMSOIL Blog.

AMSOIL claims that, upon in house testing, their existing Signature Series oils already outperform dexos R.

I am still fascinated by XOMs qualifier that the 0W40 is catalytic converter compliant, but 5W50 isn't, in the M1 Supercar line.
The only issue with the Amsoil is the SA level is at least 1.03 where as the Mobil 1 product is .8. Is this a concern? That's subjective.

There are opinions that lower SA is better for GDI engines.

Is there any issue with that engine that requires some specific oil and not M1 ESP 5W30 or any other MB229.51/52 compliant oil?
Again, I couldn't tell you. Probably not would be my "guess". But if I'm buying a new Vette I'm using the approved oil under warranty.

Who in their right mind would drop $100k on a new car, race it occasionally, end up with an engine issue and be denied warranty coverage because you used some boutique brand? Good luck with that headache. I'll pass.

Again, I couldn't tell you. Probably not would be my "guess". But if I'm buying a new Vette I'm using the approved oil under warranty.

Who in their right mind would drop $100k on a new car, race it occasionally, end up with an engine issue and be denied warranty coverage because you used some boutique brand? Good luck with that headache. I'll pass.
i agree that I would run oil that manufacturer wants during warranty period.
I am not sure who argues to run boutique brand?
My question is what approval is that that only one oil has? That oil looks like any other low-SAPS oil with actually not that good HTHS compared to KV100. Why Mobil1 ESP 0W40 X3 is not Dexos R? It is oil that carries VW511.00 and Porsche C40, approvals specifically designed for RS and 911 models, MB229.51/52 etc. No other oil as far as I know has this R approval, which means it is marketing push.
Same was true with that Pennzoil SRT junk.

My comment had nothing to do with GM - oblique BS from you
GM had plenty available options that could fit the bill. They wanted something to make some extra money on. Mobil1 doesn’t care, they will get paid.
And owner of Corvette still thinks he/she is part of “supercar” crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back