Odd Observation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a noob, so I may be missing something. I just looked at GM's PDF of Approved Engine Oils (updated June 2009). What struck me as odd was that regular Mobil 1 is on the High Performance list, but Mobil 1 EP is not. Then, on the Standard Oil list, ALL Mobil 1's are listed.

I'm confused. Why would regular Mobil 1, according to GM anyway, be considered high performance (better?) over the EP flavor?

Last edited:
Does "High Performance" refer to GM 4718M?

Mobil never paid to have EP tested against the 4718M standard. According to Mobil, the EP (at least the 5w-30 flavor) would pass just fine, but they just don't care to have it certified.

I called XM on the 4718 spec and I was told the EP does meet the spec but they do no target the Vette guys with th EP oil. Their EP is designed for the extended drain crowd and not be be confused with the high performance vette drivers.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Their EP is designed for the extended drain crowd and not be be confused with the high performance vette drivers.

So, is that to imply the M1 is better than the EP in 5-7,000 OCI's, or just different?

It means they are different products. One specificly designed so that non-car guy Corvette owners can easily pick the product that the OEM wants them to use.

Better is a loaded word that means different tings to differnt people. I would suggest you take a look at all the UOA,VOA's and AMsoil independent lab test results then makeup your own mind.

I would recomend you check out the products yourself and try to make up your own mind! I could tell you what I think but then how would you learn to think for yourself? So go do some research then come back with an idea and try to support it with facts then we can have an open disscussion and see if we can either agree with you and explain why or disagree with you and explain why. THen not only do you learn but those that read your post will also learn some things!

I am a learning Nazi I hate just giving someone the answere because then they do not learn anything and should things change like the formula once again they will be at someone else's mercy to think for them and tel them what to buy! Not a manly way to live ones life!

I am asking for opinions, which helps with the research aspect of anything...I can think for myself, thank you. As for the "manly" comment, I have never had much respect for "Internet Tough Guys". Great way to try an insult new members.
smirk2.gif

Last edited:
JohnB

While I agree at time with you, and at other times I fringe at your harsh post, it's just my opinion I know, but the fact of the matter is that is people did all that for themselves then there would be no need for discussion forums, and especially an oil related forum as any info can either be found at the manufacture website, or on the back of the bottle, to surmise 98% of the questions asked can either be found at one of the places back of the oil bottle, oil manufactures website, owners manual. The other 2% of the question could be deemed no informational, off topic, or wanting to know the best oil.

Don't take the post the wrong way, I'm not chastising you at all, however people seeking knowledge are trying to learn, they are starting off, or just asking here because of trust, we should help them as we can, show them if you like...how to find the info. But please don't turn away the people seeking knowledge, as it has been written before how many say ahh my pa's pa used to use and it was always better than that sludge stuff..all the sludge stuff was goot fer was pouring over those old john brown plow tips, and that's why some of em is still around..cause you couldn't use em anymore for the sludge

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
It means they are different products. One specificly designed so that non-car guy Corvette owners can easily pick the product that the OEM wants them to use.

Better is a loaded word that means different tings to differnt people. I would suggest you take a look at all the UOA,VOA's and AMsoil independent lab test results then makeup your own mind.

I would recomend you check out the products yourself and try to make up your own mind! I could tell you what I think but then how would you learn to think for yourself? So go do some research then come back with an idea and try to support it with facts then we can have an open disscussion and see if we can either agree with you and explain why or disagree with you and explain why. THen not only do you learn but those that read your post will also learn some things!

I am a learning Nazi I hate just giving someone the answere because then they do not learn anything and should things change like the formula once again they will be at someone else's mercy to think for them and tel them what to buy! Not a manly way to live ones life!

Well you're definately not a spelling Nazi!

Next time you ask a question I hope everytime tells you to find it for yourself so you can live a manly way of life. Way to hoard any knowledge you do have and not share it with others who ask. Instead of just keeping quiet, you have to post saying you know everything but ain't telling cuz you're too manly to do so.

Hi-po engine dont like lots of TBN (Ca/Mg compounds)if they're eating oil when tracked. The CC deposit can cause preignition. If you not tracking a car with thin chrome rings and med cyl hone with extra piston clearance you are prob OK. with EP. I would be looking at the HM in a API/SL GF3 adds - less is not good with anti-scuff the right amount is just right
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jehartley
I am asking for opinions, which helps with the research aspect of anything...I can think for myself, thank you. As for the "manly" comment, I have never had much respect for "Internet Tough Guys". Great way to try an insult new members.
smirk2.gif

Jehartley, a belated
welcome2.gif
to the boards!

Just ignore JB. Most of us do. He's been a real bear ever since Red Line alledgedly changed one of their formulations without checking with him first.

JohnBrowning, lighten up, dude. Gee whiz, man.

Last edited:
I don't ignore John Browning, and I certainly don't think he's a bear.

He didn't insult anyone in his post. His last couple of sentences were not a personal attack. In fact, I find it odd that so many people seem to have read it that way.

Originally Posted By: steve20
POSSIBLY the 'new' guy can use the search function??

If the search function worked worth a [censored], yes, I POSSIBLY could.

XM does not spend the extra $$ to get it approved since GM does not recommend 15,000 mile OIC. The OLM is programmed to come on before that interval.

Originally Posted By: atljay

"POSSIBLY the 'new' guy can use the search function??"

Congratulations, both of you are a internet douchebags.
Use the advanced search function.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lenjack
I read it as an attack and an insult.

Then you didn't read it.

The "learning Nazi" part was self-deprecating. All he is saying is he doesn't like to feel like he's spoon-feed people because he feels that contributes to an atmosphere of gullible novices at the mercy of questionable experts. He said nothing about anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back