so many M1 versions now

it's been over a decade since I've paid much attention to the composition of the oil I put in my cars (kids are a distraction). but when I was at walmart over the weekend I found all these different versions of Mobil 1... extended performance, high mileage, extended performance high mileage, advanced fuel economy, and a couple others. so I looked up the msds's and this is what I'm seeing for 0W20:
Regular M1 Advanced Fuel economy: GTL
Extended Performance: mix of PAO and GrpIII
High Mileage: GTL
Extended Performance High Mileage: GTL (and the exact same overall composition as regular high mileage???)

I was under the impression M1 was a PAO oil, but I guess not anymore.

But are the GTL oils better? seems odd they'd switch from GTL to PAO/GrpIII for the extended perf, then go back to GTL for the top of the line "high mileage" oils

...and Mobil's own website is full of information that doesn't seem (at least to me) to be right...like not recommending a filter for one car but when I look up that filter number that used to be right, it still shows for my car...or that a certain engine combination doesn't exist when clearly it does or whey Mobil 1 original is not recommended for a certain vehicle but their Mobil Super or Mobil Full Synthetic is...or...o_O

I've sent email to them and gotten either conflicting answers or promises of an answer that then are never answered...

Bill

I believe niche oils started with Valvoline High Mileage oil. Valvoline created the first high mileage oil. Since then oils have become much more specific in application, not only due to many industry specifications, but specialty oils like "Hybrid" oils etc. Mobil, just like all the others, had to get in on the action. Amsoil has now even followed and offers a High Mileage and Hybrid oil.

The days of true synthetics being PAO/V based is dead. They're all mostly a blend of varying base oils from III/III+ to V in varying ratios.

as a former product marketing slave I get it... it's a competition for shelf space, and product proliferation gets you more space. but it's so unnecessary and inefficient. we don't need 14 different versions of some company's 0W20 oil. are hybrid engines really that different that they need a special formulation? I think a "regular" formulation and a "high mileage" formulation with extra detergents is more than enough. stop the insanity.

For many years I just bought regular M1 when it was on sale at Costco, and I may just continue to do that. Or maybe just use their Warren private label stuff which I'm sure is just as good and 1/2 the cost.

They are all perfectly fabulous oils.
as a former product marketing slave I get it... it's a competition for shelf space, and product proliferation gets you more space. but it's so unnecessary and inefficient. we don't need 14 different versions of some company's 0W20 oil. are hybrid engines really that different that they need a special formulation? I think a "regular" formulation and a "high mileage" formulation with extra detergents is more than enough. stop the insanity.

For many years I just bought regular M1 when it was on sale at Costco, and I may just continue to do that. Or maybe just use their Warren private label stuff which I'm sure is just as good and 1/2 the cost.

For sure ALMOST as good at the very least...
Though store brand oil has managed to narrow the price gap over the last few years. Which is a shame.

Personally I use racing 4t in my motorcycle,advanced in my 5.0 F150, 5w-40 tdt in my tractor and diesel zero turn,
image.jpg
and 15w-50 in my push mower and gas pressure washer.

Heck yeah, you HAVE to run special hybrid oil in a hybrid vehicle. 😬 Wait till they come out with hmh oil ( high mileage hybrid)👀

WalMart got smart. You can have 10 different products to sell. The thought is to have 10 times wider shelf space.

Now WalMart charges for the amount of shelf space you can use for your brand. Your brand can put what they want on that amount of real estate. Now the brands only have a few bottles of each of their varieties on their own space, confusing buyers when most of their products are probably about the same.

Food space is similar as is pet food. The brand has to pay to get on the shelf and some brands have to stock their own products as well.

ali

Welcome to the club.
Valvoline Advanced
Valvoline Extended Protection
Valvoline High Mileage (synthetic blend)
Valvoline High Mileage Full Synthetic with Max Life
Valvoline Extended Protection High Mileage with Max Life

And then the two extra's
Valvoline Hybrid Vehicle
Valvoline European Vehicle

WalMart got smart. You can have 10 different products to sell. The thought is to have 10 times wider shelf space.

Now WalMart charges for the amount of shelf space you can use for your brand. Your brand can put what they want on that amount of real estate. Now the brands only have a few bottles of each of their varieties on their own space, confusing buyers when most of their products are probably about the same.

Food space is similar as is pet food. The brand has to pay to get on the shelf and some brands have to stock their own products as well.

ali

Great post Ali … I learned a long time ago when setting up for a new grocery store grand opening that the brands bought the shelf space. We had a planner for each section and it had to be an exact match for what amount of shelf space was aid for.

I like variety… Nothing wrong with having more choices. Key aspect being making sure you or I has the buyer know what we are supposed to buy for our vehicles.

Back