Has Mobil1 stopped making regular 0w-20?

I usually get Mobil1 0w-20 at Walmart in the 5 quart containers, however they no longer carry this. Also, after several calls to auto parts stores, no one carries plain old Mobil1 0w-20 anymore…its either Advanced Fuel Economy, High Mileage, or Extended performance.

The vehicle in question has 30,000 miles on it, so I dont need High Mileage, and I change the oil once a year so I dont need extended performance. I read in the past the Advanced Fuel Economy might be too thin ( or have less additives) since they made it to have even less friction to increase gas mileage.

Any help here is appreciated.

AFE is the new regular

Last edited:
If we compare Mobil 1 0W-20 AFE to Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20, it's got a much lower VI, and should remain thicker at higher shear rates.

From the VOAs I've seen, it has more detergents, ZDDP, and moly, and also contains boron, whereas the PP doesn't have any. I'd have no concerns with its additive package (or that of the PP for that matter).

I think the idea behind lower additive levels in API SP oils, is that since they are low in calcium, they can use less anti-wear and friction modifier additives. This is because calcium increases friction, and it also competes with those other additives.

I usually get Mobil1 0w-20 at Walmart in the 5 quart containers, however they no longer carry this. Also, after several calls to auto parts stores, no one carries plain old Mobil1 0w-20 anymore…its either Advanced Fuel Economy, High Mileage, or Extended performance.

The vehicle in question has 30,000 miles on it, so I dont need High Mileage, and I change the oil once a year so I dont need extended performance. I read in the past the Advanced Fuel Economy might be too thin ( or have less additives) since they made it to have even less friction to increase gas mileage.

I haven’t heard anything about this but thank you for the info I’ll look into it. That’s totally incorrect about AFE it’s equal to TGMO and capable of 10k oci’s.

IMG_3741.jpg

NO

Mobil has some extensive line of products not labeled Mobil 1. When a private shop advertises they use Mobil which line are they using Mobil super synthetic, Mobil full synthetic or 1?

Mobil has some extensive line of products not labeled Mobil 1. When a private shop advertises they use Mobil which line are they using Mobil super synthetic, Mobil full synthetic or 1?
If they are just using “Mobil” then it can be a conventional oil as well. What shop is doing this?

Place near me called archers they use Mobil window stickers have a lighted Mobil lawn sign. This is their website page for their oil changes the webpage has a Mobil 1 banner so that may just have answered my question.

It should be roughly four lines (although it changes). The Mobil Special is the Blue bottle cheap base used in lube shops and was sold at Target {blend). Mobil 5000 is the main blend, Mobil Synthetic I think supersedes Supersyn, and there is Mobil 1. We're not counting the various subsets like high mileage and whatnot...

It should be roughly four lines (although it changes). The Mobil Special is the Blue bottle cheap base used in lube shops and was sold at Target {blend). Mobil 5000 is the main blend, Mobil Synthetic I think supersedes Supersyn, and there is Mobil 1. We're not counting the various subsets like high mileage and whatnot...
I really do love Mobil and Mobil 1 but as you mentioned there’s just too many product lines but hey everyone is doing it these days. Thankfully I buy oil for the price cause I sure do get lost reading labels and often want to try up something different.

Back