Is 5w20 Dexos becoming obsolete?

Yep you summed it all up, quite frankly it happens a lot with changes to model years and oil viscosity changes and even moreso when it's the same engine that is used overseas, mostly due to the enviroment it's being used in.

Yep - we were not related. ;)
I wouldn't be so quick to blame George III for the loss of America. His prime minister, Frederick North ( 2d Earl of Guilford for anyone who cares )
seemed to spend more of his attention and energy to administering the Exchequer (Treasury) and dealing with the House of Commons. Seems his indifference to the Colonial rebellion got in the way of effective management of the crisis at hand. He totally neglected his role in directing the war effort against the American Colonies and at the same time managed to keep George III totally in the dark as to what was really going on.

Personally, I'm grateful to Freddy North for his sloth, otherwise we'd be flying the Union Jack, singing God Save King Chucky the Threeth, and would be in as sad a shape as the rest of the Commonwealth.

I wouldn't be so quick to blame George III for the loss of America. His prime minister, Frederick North ( 2d Earl of Guilford for anyone who cares )
seemed to spend more of his attention and energy to administering the Exchequer (Treasury) and dealing with the House of Commons. Seems his indifference to the Colonial rebellion got in the way of effective management of the crisis at hand. He totally neglected his role in directing the war effort against the American Colonies and at the same time managed to keep George III totally in the dark as to what was really going on.

Personally, I'm grateful to Freddy North for his sloth, otherwise we'd be flying the Union Jack, singing God Save King Chucky the Threeth, and would be in as sad a shape as the rest of the Commonwealth.
That's a pot and kettle situation. You know what I mean.

GM dropped there Dexos rating on 5W-20 oils. It's not worth it.
Pretty much anything and everything about OW-20 oil supercedes the specifications of a 5W-20 oil.

Any OW-20 oil can be use in place of a 5W-20 oil.

GM dropped the Dexos rating because it's wasted time and effort to do continue with R&D and engineering to develope a DEXOS rating.
I would be leaning on the fence as synthetic oils seem to dominate anymore that 5W-20 may very well go away some day.

Ford seems to be about the only major auto manufacturer hanging on to 5W-20 specs. Although they allow the use of 0W-20 oils and suggest it's use in extreme cold.

Oil manufacturers like Mobil 1 say right on the bottle that their 0W-20 can be used anywhere and API 5W-20 is called for.

Our Mazda specs 0w20 and our Fords spec 5w20...I'd have no problem using 0w20 in both in the winter and 5w20 in both in warmer weather (even down to single digits F*).
In fact I'd prefer 5w20 if doing a long highway trip. That's just me...the smaller the spread in cold vs. hot viscosity the better...(less VI improver etc...although some higher end oils do it with PAO).

As far as why there are no 5w20 dexos oils....I agree that the oil companies don't want to pay the licensing fee to GM for an oil grade that GM doesn't spec and not that 5w20 is in any way inferior.

Really the differences between 0w20 & 5w20 are so minute that I agree as stated it doesn't really make sense to keep developing it. I don't see 5w20 going away anytime in the near future but today there are very few manufacturers still using it. Castrol and M1 had 0w30 but I can't remember if anyone else came out with it but then no manufacturers called for it either and it didn't really catch on like 0w20 has.

I would say 5w20 is obsolete.

The cold viscosity of the 0w20 isn’t that much thinner than 5w20, but on most oils, it is slightly thinner and the cold pour point is lower. What most people don’t think about is the cold viscosity of any oil is still too thick.

So I don’t see a reason why somebody would stick to 5w20 when 0w20 is actually more suitable because the cold viscosity is in fact thinner, which is better. Not better by much, but it definitely is an improvement.

The cold viscosity of the 0w20 isn’t that much thinner than 5w20, but on most oils, it is slightly thinner and the cold pour point is lower. What most people don’t think about is the cold viscosity of any oil is still too thick.

So I don’t see a reason why somebody would stick to 5w20 when 0w20 is actually more suitable because the cold viscosity is in fact thinner, which is better. Not better by much, but it definitely is an improvement.
At very low temperatures yes. Up until then, not necessarily.

Wow all of that over an oil of the same grade but with a different winter rating.

And why would you think feathers would be ruffled here?
0w20 is actual synthetic with a different mandatory set of base stocks and additives

5w20 can be made much more cheaply so it is made much more cheaply.

Toyota has over a decade of saying that if you use 5w20 your oil change interval is cut in half.

Must be reasons for this

I use 5w20 in a car spec’d for 0w because I got the oil for less than $2/q “full synthetic “.

I also change the oil more often than required anyway so the loss of fill duration doesn’t matter

Back