New Valvoline Oil

The next logical move for Valvoline would to release Protect & Restore, and Extended Restore & Protect.

It very confusing, if you don't know anything about motor oil, when you're at Walmart, and you're faced with a choice between Extended Protection and Restore & Protect.

I think Valvoline learned their lesson with Modern Engine. They tried to break the $29.99/5 qt. jug psychological barrier and failed with "Modern Engine". That one has been discussed to death here as well, Goku's wild theories not withstanding. Mobil tried it with "Annual Protection", but no one was willing to shell out $35 per jug of oil. Even with inflation, the big guys will be stuck at sub $30 per jug for a very long time. I assume that in order to keep that price point, and still turn a profit, some rethinking of the base oils and additive packages had to be done. @Foxtrot08, I defer to you. What's your opinion on this subject?

If an engine oil had a human form. Brotella would be the mid 20 year old, with a flat billed cap, white Oakley gascans, a skyjacked F350 (or pick your flavor of diesel pick ups), all chromed out and painted up, on 24’s with low profile mud tires. And he always skips leg day. But he certainly lets you know his dad owns a dealership.
Don’t forget about the “salt life” sticker even though he is located hundreds of miles from the nearest ocean… and doesn’t have a boat, fishing equipment, etc.

A bunch here - including myself - jumped on the "pricey" Mobil1 0W20 AP wagon, though many may publicly state Grp III makes a synthetic lubricant - but in secret they long for the days of yore when Maidens rode through the verdant meadows bareback and M1 was majority Grp IV

If an engine oil had a human form. Brotella would be the mid 20 year old, with a flat billed cap, white Oakley gascans, a skyjacked F350 (or pick your flavor of diesel pick ups), all chromed out and painted up, on 24’s with low profile mud tires. And he always skips leg day. But he certainly lets you know his dad owns a dealership.
foxtrot08-ford-f350.jpg

A bunch here - including myself - jumped on the "pricey" Mobil1 0W20 AP wagon, though many may publicly state Grp III makes a synthetic lubricant - but in secret they long for the days of yore when Maidens rode through the verdant meadows bareback and M1 was majority Grp IV
Ain’t that the truth!!!

We all argue over majority group 3 synthetics sold at Walmart for under $30 per jug with the same approvals. Insanity

The next logical move for Valvoline would to release Protect & Restore, and Extended Restore & Protect.

It very confusing, if you don't know anything about motor oil, when you're at Walmart, and you're faced with a choice between Extended Protection and Restore & Protect.

I think Valvoline learned their lesson with Modern Engine. They tried to break the $29.99/5 qt. jug psychological barrier and failed with "Modern Engine". That one has been discussed to death here as well, Goku's wild theories not withstanding. Mobil tried it with "Annual Protection", but no one was willing to shell out $35 per jug of oil. Even with inflation, the big guys will be stuck at sub $30 per jug for a very long time. I assume that in order to keep that price point, and still turn a profit, some rethinking of the base oils and additive packages had to be done. @Foxtrot08, I defer to you. What's your opinion on this subject?

They got a deal on GTL base oils. It’s going to be a completely different additive package / formulation from other products. As, previously they were using Adnoc.

So since it’s a completely new formulation, needing new approvals, things that can fairly easily be discovered. They might as well market it as a new formulation. So they hired some consulting firm that knows more about Gucci purses, than the lubricants market, to come up with a branding and marketing strategy.

And here we are.

As I said, it’s absolutely fine. Valvoline won’t produce junk oil - too big of a risk for them. But thinking it’s going to do anything different than any other major brand. Eh…. Can’t sell me on that one.

As for the testing, and why brands don’t call each other out more: Too many variables in testing.

Even hypothetically if you had the same engine, in the same test stand procedure - let alone real life - there’s too many moving variables.

Differences in air quality.
Differences in fuel quality.
Differences in the mass manufactured engines.
Difference in metallurgy in side of the engines.
Difference in machining.
Difference in plastic/rubber manufacturing for seals, belts, etc.
Difference in additive package batches.
Difference in base oil quality week to week / month to month.
Difference in transporting / cleanliness of the oil transferring it.

Just so many little differences that it is extremely hard to compare XYZ oil vs ABC oil in a meaningful way without costing a ton of money. Literally millions of dollars that will never be made back in lubricant margins. Ever. That’s why there’s never side by side comparison testing. Too many variables. And “real world” testing is a statistical nightmare that just compounds all the above.

Thus I continue to stress - don’t believe marketing. Use whatever oil scratches your itch as long as it meets / exceeds your approvals.

"Relevant Part of Engine"? How many grams deposits removed from pistons in critical areas?
Easy to show what doesn't really matter - though an improvement HERE could relate to improvement There.

Back when I was a young lad, cylinder balance was a good indicator of engine cleanliness - but this was before MPFI that tossed spray pattern/atomization into the mix. Test driving a vehicle you would note some vibration vs a turbine like smoothness.

Did XoM post anything tangential to an ASTM D8111 evaluation?

- Arco
Valvoline stated that no oil has previously claimed to be capable of cleaning. Mobil was in fact doing just that LONG before anybody at Valvoline had even considered the idea of "Restore and Protect" as a product.

If I put the "if motor oil was a human" and add "skips leg day", then I get this beauty:

View attachment 218182

Bro, you don’t use Rotella? Bro, it’s your funeral bro. Your engines going to blow up bro, if you don’t run Rotella bro. Come on bro. My great grand daddy used Rotella bro. You need to trust me bro, my dad owns a dealership bro. All we use is brotella bro. Didn’t you see my super truck bro? I run Rotella bro. It’s the only choice bro. Bro for real bro. You gotta use Rotella bro. For real for real bro.

Bro, you don’t use Rotella? Bro, it’s your funeral bro. Your engines going to blow up bro, if you don’t run Rotella bro. Come on bro. My great grand daddy used Rotella bro. You need to trust me bro, my dad owns a dealership bro. All we use is brotella bro. Didn’t you see my super truck bro? I run Rotella bro. It’s the only choice bro. Bro for real bro. You gotta use Rotella bro. For real for real bro.
That must be a real person, not just o stereotype, lol. FWIW, I use Delvac Extreme 15W-40. Not because I believe it's superior to anything else, but it's easily available to me. I can find just about anywhere, and the price is "okay".

That must be a real person, not just o stereotype, lol. FWIW, I use Delvac Extreme 15W-40. Not because I believe it's superior to anything else, but it's easily available to me. I can find just about anywhere, and the price is "okay".

You would not believe the cult following of Rotella. Outside of my repetitive statement of bro. The rest of the above conversation was real, the kids dad did own a truck dealership (navistar / international.) And they exclusively sold T4 and recommended Lucas engine oil stabilizer. The kid did drive one of those international trucks with a F350 bed on it. I wish I was making this up.

Valvoline stated that no oil has previously claimed to be capable of cleaning. Mobil was in fact doing just that LONG before anybody at Valvoline had even considered the idea of "Restore and Protect" as a product.
O.K. Point taken.

I still ding XoM for messing with the photo exposure on these piston deposit photos.
Inexcusable.
m1 piston cleanliness.jpg

I say still all hyperbole coming from all sides.
I have no favourites. No teams. Everyone gets a shot.

Maybe we will see if this is the greatest thing since Lido Iacocca and Olivio Spread !

O.K. Point taken.

I still ding XoM for messing with the photo exposure on these piston deposit photos.
Inexcusable.
View attachment 218186
I say still all hyperbole coming from all sides.
I have no favourites. No teams. Everyone gets a shot.

Maybe we will see if this is the greatest thing since Lido Iacocca and Olivio Spread !

Last edited:
Valvoline is claiming that their oil is the ONLY oil that can specifically clean piston deposits by slowly dissolving them. Not all carbon is created equal. This isn't sludge, although they say this oil will clean any surface it comes in contact with. As I said a million times already, I don't know if it works or doesn't work. But they are very clear IMO that this oil is not the same as others.

I'm not sure why this is hard for many to grasp. I mean it's as basic as it gets.

1715097252668.jpg

Before:

1715097665566.jpg

After:
1715097690113.jpg

Last edited:
I'm honestly hoping it doesn't work because I don't care for the brand LOL. They're also Saudi owned. But I'm trying to be fair about it.

"..other synthetics that claim to clean your engine simply capture carbon from the combustion process."

"first and only motor oil that can clean deposits"

So if they're lying, I expect them to be sued. :LOL:

This is post #118 of x # of threads that I'm not bothering to count, and zero positive anecdotes. I'm not a cynic, I'm fact finding. OP never bought it as far as I could tell.

This is post #118 of x # of threads that I'm not bothering to count, and zero positive anecdotes. I'm not a cynic, I'm fact finding. OP never bought it as far as I could tell.
Good luck you'll be here the rest of your life then.

If you want to talk actual facts, there is really only one fact in this industry - you either meet specifications or you don't. Period. Rest is all anecdotal.

Every single modern PCMO additive package is designed to clean engine deposits. The entire DI package contributes to cleaning, not just the detergents. Some do a better job than others. Valvoline isn't lying, they're just pushing marketing to the extreme here. Neither did Mr. PhD lie. Is it revolutionary? Absolutely not, plus it lacks the solvency of Group V synthetic co-bases. However, it's more than likely that their DI package is stronger than other run-of-the-mill motor oils when it comes to cleaning. They didn't reinvent the wheel, they just tweaked it slightly. I don't know why some have a hard time understanding that. And yes, I did look for patents, and couldn't find any.

Back