New Valvoline Oil

This is post #118 of x # of threads that I'm not bothering to count, and zero positive anecdotes. I'm not a cynic, I'm fact finding. OP never bought it as far as I could tell.
If you're for facts, you'll be sorely disappointed. If you're here for entertainment, you're going to have a blast.

Every single modern PCMO additive package is designed to clean engine deposits. The entire DI package contributes to cleaning, not just the detergents. Some do a better job than others. Valvoline isn't lying, they're just pushing marketing to the extreme here. Neither did Mr. PhD lie. Is it revolutionary? Absolutely not, plus it lacks the solvency of Group V synthetic co-bases. However, it's more than likely that their DI package is stronger than other run-of-the-mill motor oils when it comes to cleaning. They didn't reinvent the wheel, they just tweaked it slightly. I don't know why some have a hard time understanding that. And yes, I did look for patents, and couldn't find any.
Maybe, maybe not. Oils are designed to prevent deposits, capture carbon and keep internals clean via detergent/dispersant package. This Restore oil is not needed if you're running a high end oil because you're likely never going to see them form to begin with.

Oils like HPL and Amsoil SS can likely do the same as this RP oil (maybe even better) thru the use of esters/AN's. (which is what Premium Blue Restore uses as well to achieve cleaning).

It may lack the high-end solvency, but if they figured out some unique additive that can dissolve carbon-based piston deposits that is not an ester, then maybe it is a novel additive. That is what they're alluding to in a very careful way. Or, it is just marketing to the extreme as you said. I'm still on the fence. But the wording is as clear as day to me.

O.K. Point taken.

I still ding XoM for messing with the photo exposure on these piston deposit photos.
Inexcusable.
View attachment 218186
I say still all hyperbole coming from all sides.
I have no favourites. No teams. Everyone gets a shot.

Maybe we will see if this is the greatest thing since Lido Iacocca and Olivio Spread !

Good luck you'll be here the rest of your life then.

If you want to talk actual facts, there is really only one fact in this industry - you either meet specifications or you don't. Period. Rest is all anecdotal.
A white paper would be nice with the data behind the 2 minute YT marketing sales ad.

You would not believe the cult following of Rotella. Outside of my repetitive statement of bro. The rest of the above conversation was real, the kids dad did own a truck dealership (navistar / international.) And they exclusively sold T4 and recommended Lucas engine oil stabilizer. The kid did drive one of those international trucks with a F350 bed on it. I wish I was making this up.
The rotella cult is unbelievable! So many people i know run rotella t4 10w30 in anything older than 2000 cause "its got the zinc they stripped from the oil" most of the truckers i know run rotella and the ones that dont use delo. Every friend of mine with a diesel pickup uses t4 or t6. One even runs t4 instead of bar oil lol. "Good enough for my 6.4 good enough for the oregon bar"

The rotella cult is unbelievable! So many people i know run rotella t4 10w30 in anything older than 2000 cause "its got the zinc they stripped from the oil" most of the truckers i know run rotella and the ones that dont use delo. Every friend of mine with a diesel pickup uses t4 or t6. One even runs t4 instead of bar oil lol. "Good enough for my 6.4 good enough for the oregon bar"
Truckers are also probably the largest demographic for Lucas "Oil Stabilizer" "Bruh, it's got what my diesel craves".

Truckers are also probably the largest demographic for Lucas "Oil Stabilizer" "Bruh, it's got what my diesel craves".

I'm 3 for 3 with Owner-Operators talking to me about Lucas oil stabilizer. And after they argue with me for 30-45 minutes how it keeps their oil pressure up, I finally state "Look, your engine is going to blow up." And within 4 months, it scatters.

3 for 3. They tell me the mileage, their OCI's, how many gallons of Oil Stabilizer they use per change. And it's like... Yup. Those bearings are going to peace out.

I'm 3 for 3 with Owner-Operators talking to me about Lucas oil stabilizer. And after they argue with me for 30-45 minutes how it keeps their oil pressure up, I finally state "Look, your engine is going to blow up." And within 4 months, it scatters.

3 for 3. They tell me the mileage, their OCI's, how many gallons of Oil Stabilizer they use per change. And it's like... Yup. Those bearings are going to peace out.
It's almost like super heavy ultra cheap Group I Bright Stock, bar oil tackifier, no anti-wear additives and an assload so large of the cheapest VII polymer that it would make Rita McNeill blush, isn't of benefit to engine longevity :unsure:

Those bearings are going to peace out.
If they use a lot of it, the Turbo goes first. On some "Lucased-Up" engines, if you take off the hose off the front of the Turbo, using two fingers, you can move the propeller with the shaft up and down.

And after they argue with me for 30-45 minutes...
Wow, you have so mega-level patience. If someone starts a conversation about how good Lucas is, I just wish them a nice day. Life's way too short.

Last edited:
Was trying to decide if I need to make my own thread or continue here. Please let me know. But just changed the oil, filter, engine filter. I thought the car only had 178k miles. It's 240k miles.

Replaced the express lube oil filter for the fram ultra synthetic. Unknown oil removed, but dad thinks its castrol. He pays $30 for the change so I'm assuming conventional. Filled the oil filter before install then filled 4.8ish qts of oil. Measured right at the full mark.
The oil filter thread/ housing was varnished. I cleaned it as much as i can.

my youngest brother (20 years old) hates driving, so this only takes him to and from work. He doesn't put many miles on the car, so this is purely an experiment for myself to see how well this oil cleans. I plan on doing a change every 2 or 3 months. Haven't decided yet. Probably 3 since he puts like 500 miles a month.
20240507_123417.jpg
20240507_123432.jpg
20240507_130404.jpg

20240507_124313.jpg
20240507_131023.jpg
20240507_124636.jpg

Was trying to decide if I need to make my own thread or continue here. Please let me know. But just changed the oil, filter, engine filter. I thought the car only had 178k miles. It's 240k miles.

Replaced the express lube oil filter for the fram ultra synthetic. Unknown oil removed, but dad thinks its castrol. He pays $30 for the change so I'm assuming conventional. Filled the oil filter before install then filled 4.8ish qts of oil. Measured right at the full mark.

my youngest brother (20 years old) hates driving, so this only takes him to and from work. He doesn't put many miles on the car, so this is purely an experiment for myself to see how well this oil cleans. I plan on doing a change every 2 or 3 months. Haven't decided yet. Probably 3 since he puts like 500 miles a month. View attachment 218202View attachment 218201View attachment 218199
View attachment 218203View attachment 218198View attachment 218200
Thanks for sharing. (y)

my youngest brother (20 years old) hates driving, so this only takes him to and from work. He doesn't put many miles on the car, so this is purely an experiment for myself to see how well this oil cleans. I plan on doing a change every 2 or 3 months. Haven't decided yet. Probably 3 since he puts like 500 miles a month. View attachment 218202View attachment 218201View attachment 218199
That looks like an engine that was fed cheap with gas and cheap oil.

Lots of varnish in the filter base flange flow area, looking forward to how much R&P will clean it out. I wouldn't be surprised if the car is burning some oil.

If that was a Hyundai GDI engine, the rod bearings would have failed a long time ago.
Nissans transmissions suck (this one had to get a new one at 8x,xxx Miles but this motor seems to be doing a good job hanging on. I hope this oil does really good job at cleaning

I wouldn't waste my time on a few spiteful REALISTIC individuals who enjoy undermining others on this forum. Just ignore them. And for what it’s worth, I recognize your genuine contributions despite their baseless criticism.
Fixed that for you. And there is no baseless criticism. The internet contains probably a billion people just in the US alone. Out of a population of 333 million. Not all people on the internet are who they claim to be, but if you believe otherwise, I'm really a Prince who needs you to send me $6357 so I can unlock my inheritance from my wicked uncle who holds me prisoner in my own royal castle.

They got a deal on GTL base oils. It’s going to be a completely different additive package / formulation from other products. As, previously they were using Adnoc.

So since it’s a completely new formulation, needing new approvals, things that can fairly easily be discovered. They might as well market it as a new formulation. So they hired some consulting firm that knows more about Gucci purses, than the lubricants market, to come up with a branding and marketing strategy.

And here we are.

As I said, it’s absolutely fine. Valvoline won’t produce junk oil - too big of a risk for them. But thinking it’s going to do anything different than any other major brand. Eh…. Can’t sell me on that one.

As for the testing, and why brands don’t call each other out more: Too many variables in testing.

Even hypothetically if you had the same engine, in the same test stand procedure - let alone real life - there’s too many moving variables.

Differences in air quality.
Differences in fuel quality.
Differences in the mass manufactured engines.
Difference in metallurgy in side of the engines.
Difference in machining.
Difference in plastic/rubber manufacturing for seals, belts, etc.
Difference in additive package batches.
Difference in base oil quality week to week / month to month.
Difference in transporting / cleanliness of the oil transferring it.

Just so many little differences that it is extremely hard to compare XYZ oil vs ABC oil in a meaningful way without costing a ton of money. Literally millions of dollars that will never be made back in lubricant margins. Ever. That’s why there’s never side by side comparison testing. Too many variables. And “real world” testing is a statistical nightmare that just compounds all the above.

Thus I continue to stress - don’t believe marketing. Use whatever oil scratches your itch as long as it meets / exceeds your approvals.
Thanks for clarifying that. A zealot of yours inferred that you thought Valvoline was junk.

Then the disciple basically said that in his opinion most motor oil is pretty good, so who knows what said sectary really thinks.

Again, it's not what I think about you. I think you are very knowledgeable. Just beware of creepy fanatics who can't remember if Valvoline is junk or good. You really seem like a cool dude, but if someone else starts wearing your skin, well, I tried to warn you.

Fixed that for you. And there is no baseless criticism. The internet contains probably a billion people just in the US alone. Out of a population of 333 million. Not all people on the internet are who they claim to be, but if you believe otherwise, I'm really a Prince who needs you to send me $6357 so I can unlock my inheritance from my wicked uncle who holds me prisoner in my own royal castle.

Thanks for clarifying that. A zealot of yours inferred that you thought Valvoline was junk.

Then the disciple basically said that in his opinion most motor oil is pretty good, so who knows what said sectary really thinks.

Again, it's not what I think about you. I think you are very knowledgeable. Just beware of creepy fanatics who can't remember if Valvoline is junk or good. You really seem like a cool dude, but if someone else starts wearing your skin, well, I tried to warn you.

Believe me. If I think something is junk, I will openly say it’s junk. See a thread about Smittys for reference. Or any other number of not so reputable players.

Major brands - meh. I’m fairly brand agnostic.

My thing is, again, don’t fall for marketing. It’s marketing.

Back