new valvoline "next gen" 50% recycled oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
The molecular chain in Recycled Oil Oxides faster, as it was already oxidized when it was pure,though 99% of the purities are removed, it stil has some % of oxidized chain(which is nearly impossible to eradicate completly) is present, which will enhance further oxidation.

Various quality basestocks from all the used oil sources make it questionable.

I would never put this in a motor I cared about.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zerosoma
I heard this horror story once where this guy ran it in his truck and his engine seized. Apparently it was too thin, thinner than the viscosity on the bottle, and his engine leaked it right out.

Whether it's true or not I dunno.

It is not true unless he poured the oil in the cab of his truck instead of the engine.

Originally Posted By: ferrari512
The molecular chain in Recycled Oil Oxides faster, as it was already oxidized when it was pure,though 99% of the purities are removed, it stil has some % of oxidized chain(which is nearly impossible to eradicate completly) is present, which will enhance further oxidation.

The molecular chain oxidizes sooner? This makes no sense.

Originally Posted By: Loobed
I heard this horror story once where this guy ran it in his truck and his engine seized. Apparently it was too thin, thinner than the viscosity on the bottle, and his engine leaked it right out.

It is not true unless he poured the oil in the cab of his truck instead of the engine.

Or forgot to tighten up the drain bolt!

Originally Posted By: MysticGold04
Originally Posted By: Loobed

Or forgot to tighten up the drain bolt!

Or maybe there is just a screw loose

Here in San Antonio, I have two Walmarts about the same distance from my home. I call the first one "the small" Walmart, because it's physically smaller than some of the others around. Their shelf space is limited in the car lubrication section. The only brands they carry are Mobil, Supertech, and one more (I think Pennzoil). The second Walmart is newer built and relatively big. It has all the major brands (they have G-Oil, QS, Motorcraft, etc). They have a very good selection of Valvoline motor oils, and it doesn't look like they're getting rid of them. All conventional 5qt jugs are priced at about $18 regardless of whether it's plain conventional, maxlife, nextgen, or nextgen maxlife.

Last edited:

I would, and I am not alone.
I also don't think I'm uneducated when it comes to motor oils.
The stuff will not hurt a thing.

Sure. Yeah. I will the lottery tonight too.

I probably wouldn't use this oil in a Ferrari 512, or any other Ferrari.
I would use this oil in any normal daily driver.
I've got two FAR jugs of this stuff, and it's going to get used.

Originally Posted By: PZR2874
^What location are these said $18 jugs?

The Walmart at De zavala and I10.

PS: For that matter, if you're interested, they also have Mobil 5000 for $14.

Last edited:
O'Reilly's is running this month a special 5+ qt jug NextGen with a MicroGard Oil Filter $20.99 ($23.99 for NextGen MaxLife) Get a $20.00 O'Reillys gift card after mail in rebate. Limt 2 per household. See Sales/Rebate/Promtion section for more details

Quote:

Whether it's true or not I dunno. Just search for "nextgen horror stories" in google, i'm sure you'll find it, it's on another forum.....

I'm putting this one with Pennzoil wax and Quaker State sludge tales.
smirk.gif
And, I did google it and it only led here.

Most oil is recycled in one way or another now anyway, used as burner fuel or recycled to base oil, used oil sells for up to $1.50 a gallon its too valuable to just dump so the Valvoline greenie thing how they are saving the enviorment they try and sell is misleading.

Safety Kleen has had a recycled oil they have been selling for years using the same reprocessing thin film evaporators and hyro treating, there are several used oil refineries in the US where valvoline is buying used base oil from.

I dont see how there business model of rebates and giving away the recycled oil can last to sell it.

Last edited:
Why are people so afraid of this oil? It is API certified, backed by Valvoline's warranty, and in the case of 5w20 it is certified for the latest Ford specs. Does anyone really think that a company like Valvoline would put out an intentionally inferior product?

Originally Posted By: JasonC
Why are people so afraid of this oil? It is API certified, backed by Valvoline's warranty, and in the case of 5w20 it is certified for the latest Ford specs. Does anyone really think that a company like Valvoline would put out an intentionally inferior product?

No I agree 100% but the thought of using recycled oil just is creepy to most people.

Valvoline states that NextGen recycled oil goes through the same refining process as crude oil. So what you are claiming is wrong. As the recycled oil goes back through a distillation process, all the bad dirty molecules would be left behind... just as it is with dirty crude.

I think what Valvoline was betting on is that consumers would flock to this oil because it is supposedly more eco friendly by calling it recycled. What they should do is just continue to re-refine it but drop the recycled label. They would benefit by the cheaper cost and consumers would buy it without the stigma of it being "used".

Sorry you are wrong on your assumption used oil can be refined and processed the same way as crude.

There are some components in used oil that are not in the original crude which make "reclaimed oil" more prone to oxidation,the Variations in "reclaimed" oils make the complete restoration of base oils very difficult.

There are some components in used oil that are not in the original crude which make "reclaimed oil" more prone to oxidation,the Variations in "reclaimed" oils make the complete restoration of base oils very difficult.

What source of information did you read that from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back