new valvoline "next gen" 50% recycled oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have absolutely no problem using the Valvoline 50% recycled Next-Gen green bottle oil. It's about $2 cheaper than regular Valvoline plus it's good for the environment.

Originally Posted By: halseywales

Marketing, profits, and business.

Anything less would be uncivilized.
thumbsup2.gif

Now, next question.. is it a good oil? What is it based on? And i STILL saw it side-by-side on the shelf for $4.23 a quart at Walmart.

I'm all for business and profits, but marketing a product that does the same job as another and charging more for it because it takes advantage of some people's vanity or gullibility is a dead-end proposition. Once the novelty of recycled oil wears off, and people realize that they are paying more for a comparable product, the price had better come down or it's done for.

Originally Posted By: glum
...until almost all the oil sold is recycled.

Don't stop shaving until that happens, because you'd trip over your beard.

I'm always trying to teach my kid that being "environmentally friendly" needs to be cost and labor neutral before it can ever displace non eco.

He saw the nexgen on the shelf and saw that the price was the same as the non-recycled stuff. He told me to try some, (he's 16 and helps out with the car maintenance as a requirement for driving privileges) and I had to put my money where my mouth is.

Seems like good stuff, surprised at how clear it is. Just a slight yellow tinge to it. A lot clearer than my normal Synpower.

Valvoline is selling the NexGen recyled oil at the same price as the virgin oil. It has the same warranty they offer on virgin oil. It's 50% recycled oil, and 50% virgin oil. It's in retail stores now. Still not sure I would recommend it, although it's probably OK.

I'm going to continue with Mobile One.

I saw it in the quarts but not a 5 quart jug (which means I didn't buy any.)

I have a $7 off coupon for nextgen however if it's not in a 5 quart jug it's not cost effective (I think it was like $3.54 a quart whereas the 5 quart jug is $13.)

They had G-Oil oil though but I'm not really interested in that.

Much as I love the concept, the bottle, and the oil, this product will be a major flop, and we won't see it in a year or so from now.

There is simply way, way to much stigma and misunderstanding about 'recyled/re-refined' oil for people to understand..add in the equal/higher price, and it's done.

S/K's WM house oils fly off the shelf up here b/c they are noticeable cheaper than other options, there is a lot of market for simply cheap products. The fancy 'EcoPower' syn-blend, 'green' re-refined oil, that is quite a bit more expensive, barely moves off the shelf.

Cheap sells, period. If Valvoline offered this oil at 60-70% of the price of normal oil, it would sell. Cheap, recycled engine oil will always sell well to the 'bottom feeders' of the auto-owning world for their oil-guzzling Tercel/Hyundai/1980's Buick.

The History Channel reran their Modern Marvels episode on oil last weekend. It had a segment on rerefining of waste motor oil, and showed the various process steps in going from waste oil to rerefined base stock. The episode was filmed in 2006 at Evergreen oil in California. One interesting fact they mentioned was that rerefining takes 50% less energy than going from crude oil. (They did not elaborate on what basis that was figured.) Once Valvoline stops milking the "greenness" of NextGen, maybe they'll start passing the savings on to customers.

Well, I've been using this oil at every oil change for over a year now and it works great! I like to use the Purolator filters too. I hope they keep selling this oil because it works just fine.
laugh.gif

I just switched over, and it has been great too. The previous owner used Amsoil, and in all honesty, my truck seems to be running smoother. I am not trying to start any debate, but I do notice a difference. I am using the NextGen Max Life 10w30

I've been using NextGen Max Life 5W-30 in my 2002 Corolla and I'm averaging 32.25 mpg. I think that's pretty impressive that a car being a decade old is still working great and isn't consuming lots of oil or gas. That old car has almost 200,000 miles on it too. I just emailed my local Walmart to see if they are going to keep carrying it on their shelves because I haven't seen too much of it lately.

Apparently Walmart isn't carrying it anymore. You know how it is; if it doesn't sell every hr. on the hr. they get rid of it. I know all other stores are carrying it. I just spoke to some people at O'Reilly and they said it sells well. Napa told me the same thing. I love the oil, and don't pay attention to the nay sayers. My brother is using it as well, and says his truck runs great too. Furthermore, it is peace of mind to know I am at least trying to curve the oil demand and drilling. I guess the true answer would be to stop driving, but that is not an option for me currently.

The local W-M by me has an orphan 5qt jug of 5W-30 NextGen MaxLife sitting near the rest of the oil. I usually check the price of it if it's still there every time I visit, but they're not putting it on clearance or anything. The W-M in the next town had more jugs, but it looks like they're not moving or being clearanced and I'm not sure if they'll continue stocking it.

The Walmart by me has it on clearance, but has been selling it. Another local Walmart put it on clearance, and in a matter of a day it was all sold. Some of the O'Reilly's by me are low in stock, but they said it's just because it is selling.

I heard this horror story once where this guy ran it in his truck and his engine seized. Apparently it was too thin, thinner than the viscosity on the bottle, and his engine leaked it right out.

Whether it's true or not I dunno. Just search for "nextgen horror stories" in google, i'm sure you'll find it, it's on another forum.

It scared me a little. But I'm still gonna try my FAR NextGen in my wife's 'Four.

How many motor oils today will make a motor seize up? I dont know, but I dont fall for that one. Sounds more like his seals were shot, which in turn doesnt matter what oil was in it.

Last edited:
I have not heard, or read that. I even did a search, and could not find anything. I have been using this oil, and so has my brother, and friends. None of us have had one problem. Actually, it has helped improve some performance. I do not think Valvoline would put a product out, warranty that product, and then allow it to destroy, or seize an engine. Just saying...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back