New to the driveway - 2024 RAV4 hybrid

I posted the bulk of this in another thread but mostly it belongs here. We just brought home a 2024 rav4 hybrid (AWD) for my wife. It is far more impressive as a DD than it should be. It handles wonderfully - instant power, and is decently calm at putting the power down until you really dig the foot in and then it’s a little rowdy under the hood. The battery can handle straights at 40 mph or more for a bit … which is pretty wild. Handles great, reasonably quiet. Seats are good. As a drivers car, it actually has some fun in it. Manual shift mode is useful, though it does not sing a sweet song at 3000 rpm. AWD has a little bias to the rear off the line, as my wife actually spun the inside rear on takeoff this morning. I like that. Rear propulsion seems largely applied at launch and doesn’t seem to participate much over 20. That said, I wrangled it around in the rain yesterday and you wouldn’t be aware that it tapers down, as the driver’s perception is that it is eager to go. Brake pedal is decent and only has a vague perception of yesteryear’s hybrid springiness. Suspension eats potholes while keeping the playful willingness of down to clown.

Front to rear balance feels good - nimble enough. For a smaller SUV, I find it engaging in scooting around tight streets and turns, and reasonably effortless on hill climbs. I suspect the hybrid portion adds a good bit to this experience. Spring and dampening rates are well-tuned for both comfort and handling.

The vehicle electronics seem to have some unpredictable patterns in the tug of war between wireless CarPlay and non-CarPlay modes. In addition, my wife gets confused with the depth of controls. And, CarPlay brightness at night seems obscenely bright. We are looking for additional controls here; it’s already on “auto” with the fine-tuning down all the way. We may just need to change the overall dash brightness down more.

Why is there no tach?!? I know it doesn’t make sense for the target buyer. It still makes sense to me. No tach or option to go on display. You get needles for fuel and “power/eco/off” but the speedo is a digital somewhat blurry-needled display. The lack of a tach could be enough to put this vehicle on hold for one of my own. Maybe that seems petty, but remove the tach and it becomes an appliance to me.

Drawbacks - I *really* like this little SUV. No question I would enjoy commuting in it. However if it were mine and we sold the truck, a utility trailer would be a requirement. But towing is limited to 1750 pounds, and from what I’ve read, that’s a legitimate number for folks who have tried and validate that as a legitimate number. The suspension is Camry-grade and is well-tuned for passengers, but there’s a fastly- approachable limit for cargo heft and tongue weight. While it’s down to clown on pavement, this is not a vehicle with any ruggedness at all off pavement, and even in sand. I’d be afraid to climb a curb and trundle across a rough field, something I do on occasion. The unibody frame rails are thin, and the stamped suspension parts look well-suited for carrying people but not for banging a curb with a trailer attached.

Looking beneath it, there’s a lot of equipment mounted underneath that is protected only by plastic guards. That was a little surprising for me. Now granted, it’s thick, robust plastic, and it forms a very smooth plane nose-to-tail, buts it’s still plastic. The fuel tank, as small as it is, looks like an afterthought; it’s attached with what is almost described as glorified zip ties. The rear drive motor is above a plastic cover, but there is very exposed vacuum line. Don’t drive this over brush in a field, it won’t go well. I’d be hesitant to try to skate it over thick snow, even.

My wife is the perfect driver for this car, because she will carry herself, friends, groceries and sometimes suitcases. But for someone considering getting out of a truck, and a bare minimum I’ll need a flatbed trailer and would really prefer enclosed, and an enclosed trailer eats half of the towing capacity. I suppose I could consider a non-hybrid for myself, which doubles tow capability, at the expense of daily mpg.

Either way, for a daily runabout, it’s a great vehicle. And while FWD I generally find depressing, this one is tossable enough that I don’t really miss the purity of RWD. For what it is, I’ll call it 8.5 of 10 stars.

Last edited:
On our Camry hybrid, it's a bit weird, no tach, but I'm ok with it. It had the same undercladding but I removed about half of it, as it was loading up with sand and dragging. But it's a nice driving experience, although I wish they did a bit more to deal with NVH during engine start--I bet the upper trims probably have a fix for that, but since I'm cheap, I very much can tell when the engine kicks on.

I use a USB thumbdrive and HATE the system. I have a number of podcasts and albums and there is no changing while moving. Deliberately crippled. My biggest gripe about my Toyota's.

Keep an eye on rear brakes, in my climate the rear pads like to get sticky and with the electric parking brake I've found mine to eat rear pads. I think it's solely due to rust in my climate: the EPB has a lot of force and will move a sticky pad more than what it would move under light braking.

Good luck.

My parent just got one a couple months ago. They have had a couple Rav 4's but this is their first hybrid. I looked the other day and it says they are averaging 36mpg on the dash. They really like it.

Thanks for the review!! Sounds like it's a good fit for your need!
Most hybrid don't have tach. Recently model year of Lexus would show rpm in sport mode but that's it.

I have a 23. Panel rattle and road noise is real in this car. Check the pins holding the headliner. A lot of them arent pushed in all the way. License plate rattle can be solved with some foam behind it. If you develop a rear hatch door rattle then it may be a peice of sound deadening mat behind the license plate. Mine fell of after about a year and was rattling around. Taking off the panelling to get to it is easy.

Also all my door panels were a little loose and had to be retightend. Easy enough to do.

Ive now solved all rattles and enjoy the car much more lately.

We've had our RAV4 Limited since August 2024. Has about 40,000 miles on it. Runs great, we get 39 mpg in mixed driving.
No issues recommending one to anyone that asks.
Price has risen about 20% since we bought it.
Don't even consider a gas only model. Rough, noisy engine, and not great fuel economy at about 28 mpg.

Just wanted to chime in that I have towed a trailer of dirt bikes well over 3,000lbs with my Rav4h up and over Towne Pass in Death Valley in the spring (still cold at the top) with little issue. I wouldn't get hung up with the 1,750 rating. I just did the transmission fluid and the diff fluid. Both looked used but in good condition with 78,000 miles.

Regarding reliability: https://www.rav4world.com/threads/5-years-and-more-than-148k-miles-later.334288/

We've had our RAV4 Limited since August 2024. Has about 40,000 miles on it. Runs great, we get 39 mpg in mixed driving.
No issues recommending one to anyone that asks.
Price has risen about 20% since we bought it.
Don't even consider a gas only model. Rough, noisy engine, and not great fuel economy at about 28 mpg.
Very happy with my 2020 Gas FWD RAV4. Averaging over 36mpg. No issues with noise or roughness that I can tell.

IMG_7305.jpeg

Last edited:
Very happy with my 2020 Gas FWD RAV4. Averaging over 36mpg. No issues with noise or roughness that I can tell.
Typo on my post, owned it since August 2019.
You have a FWD, probably LE trim. Lighter and much less in driveline losses than an AWD gas Limited - same trim as my hybrid.
If you drove a hybrid and gas, same trim back to back, you would notice the difference in noise and harshness. It's quite apparent.

Just wanted to chime in that I have towed a trailer of dirt bikes well over 3,000lbs with my Rav4h up and over Towne Pass in Death Valley in the spring (still cold at the top) with little issue. I wouldn't get hung up with the 1,750 rating. I just did the transmission fluid and the diff fluid. Both looked used but in good condition with 78,000 miles.

Thank you, this is very helpful. I need a 5x8 to pull the mower if I sell the truck. I also occassionally carry music equipment and other things, so the 5x8 would need to be enclosed, if I’m to replace the truck with this combo. In addition, getting 8’ lumber is a requirement, so everything moves towards an enclosed 5x8, but that can be a lot to pull with a smaller vehicle.

@JHZR2, can you elaborate? Anything we should watch out for?

We have a 2019 Gasser. Its treated us well. Japan build, no rattles at all. Engine noise really isn't there unless your prying on it hard. Now road noise is another thing. Some guys pulled the carpet and door panels and added sound deadening and said that helped but I am not that ambitious. I am going to ditch the 19 inch wheels in favor of something with a sidewall to hopefully help the ride as well.

My wife averages 29 commuting in city traffic long term. We consistently get over 35MPG on longer highway trips. Gas is cheap in South Carolina so thats fine for us. Our is FWD only so that may be part of it.

I will point out here what I have pointed out on the Rav4 boards. The two ancient Nissan trucks in my signature have better 0-60 times than your Rav4 Hybrid - per car and driver. Anyone that thinks any current Rav4 is rowdy under the hood is delusional, really. Its a cheap underpowered family car in any trim or power configuration, which is as designed and fine for what it is.

Back