2024 Lexus RX350h hybrid battery

Have u replaced the smaller EFB? What did it costs?
The accord hybrid just uses a small group 51 battery underhood for keyless and whatnot.

I have replaced it once in 9 years. About normal I’d say.

I don’t know if it’s my car specifically or what, but the car will draw the battery down to <12v pretty readily, like over a month of non use. That said, that happened to my parents’ Prius when they went away for two months. Only theirs was dead as a doornail while my accord could still unlock and start at 11.xy.

350 @25mpg vs 350h @40mpg At retirement 6k mi /yr for 15yrs = 90k mi. The 350 would cost me an additional 1350 gallons @$5/gal… or $6750. Still $3k cheaper than a replacement battery plus the upfront cost of buying a hybrid $2k.
There’s no guarantee that the battery will need to be replaced. It could just have reduced capacity which then reduces how much power assist and regen it can do.

There’s no guarantee that the battery will need to be replaced. It could just have reduced capacity which then reduces how much power assist and regen it can do.
If there is any cell imbalance, you WILL get a fault code which may render the car unusable - and also unable to pass smog.

If there is any cell imbalance, you WILL get a fault code which may render the car unusable - and also unable to pass smog.
Sure. An imbalanced pack is the sign of an issue.

Question really is if it will let the engine start (a tiny load compared to traction), and if it can drive/limp in the reduced state. A CEL preventing smog passing versus complete inoperability are vastly different things. And the former may only matter to some people who need to pass an emissions inspection.

Sure. An imbalanced pack is the sign of an issue.

Question really is if it will let the engine start (a tiny load compared to traction), and if it can drive/limp in the reduced state. A CEL preventing smog passing versus complete inoperability are vastly different things. And the former may only matter to some people who need to pass an emissions inspection.
Hypothetically, I would expect a maintained 90k mile, 15-yr old powertrain to run “like new” and pass smog.

The scenario you’re described means that a user must be willing to accept a scenario where the vehicle is not running anywhere near 100%, may not pass smog, and could be unreliable.

Therefore I stand by my position that lower mileage drivers are generally not good candidates for long-term ownership of hybrids.

More like 20-22 for the non-hybrid vs low to mid 30’s for the hybrid. I would pencil in a 10mpg difference. Also one fewer brake job for the hybrid ($600).

Refurbing hybrid batteries is a gimmick - you’re buying a battery of “balanced cells” with unknown service life. It’s the equivalent of buying 4 matching used tires but not being able to find out how much tread is remaining on them.

Hypothetically, I would expect a maintained 90k mile, 15-yr old powertrain to run “like new” and pass smog.

The scenario you’re described means that a user must be willing to accept a scenario where the vehicle is not running anywhere near 100%, may not pass smog, and could be unreliable.

Therefore I stand by my position that lower mileage drivers are generally not good candidates for long-term ownership of hybrids.
By the way, my 2014 Toyota Venza V6 120k and wife’s 2009 Lexus V6 60k does not burn oil, passes emissions and runs like near new.

I would agree lower mileage driver with long-term ownership intentions should not be hybrid owners.

In 2025, Toyota Camry had a $5k price increase and all models are now hybrids. Just a couple of years ago it was NA 4, NA 6 and hybrids. No more consumers choices.

Last edited:
G9510-48152

In case anyone was curious - the hybrid battery pack on these newer Lexus vehicles is significantly more expensive than the Prius from 10-20 years ago. MSRP is $7,476.

Would you rather have that or a $3600 turbocharger on the base model RX350? :unsure:

Back