Can I go 20k miles in an older Lexus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bear with me, this is my first post here. I have been reading general threads and also threads specific to the oil/filter I am considering using. So let's get into it.

Back when I got my license, I looked into oil/filters and decided that when I change my own oil I will run purolator one filters, and if I take it some place, I will go to either the quick lane (which uses motorcraft filters) or a specific midas (which uses napa gold for my specific application at the time).

Well a lot has changed in 10 years and I've gone through many vehicles, and for the first time in my life I am considering switching to a full synthetic oil to achieve longer OCIs. I have a new-to-me 2008 Lexus RX400h, which is a hybrid model with a 3MZFE at the heart of it. I bought it from an auction, but it was a one owner vehicle and all the service records I have from mycarfax show services at the Lexus dealership, oil changes 5-6k miles apart typically. Unfortunately, I have no idea what oil was used, as the manual suggests 5w20 or 0w20.

The 3MZFE was used in similar era camry's as well as highlanders (the hybrid until 2010), but from what I can tell, Toyota kept the 5k mile OCI in the manual for all these vehicles and never extended it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

My logic for the vehicle though is that being a hybrid, it has start stop obviously, and has electric motors to assist the ICE, reducing load stressors on it and therefore wear. To what extent, who knows.

That being said, I have put 5k miles on the vehicle since purchase, and the last oil change record is about 2k miles before that, so I am just about at 7k miles on the oil in it (though I have added about a half to a quart since purchase). I want to do an oil change but shop prices have gone up and a $20 oil change is no more, at least in my area, and being an SUV, the oil change procedure should take me no more than 20 minutes on this car.

As I looked at the various oils available, I see Mobil 1 has two oils that interest me: The extended performance (15k OCI), and the annual protection (20k OCI). I was hoping to switch to 10k OCIs by using full synthetic, but these two options would be even better for me. I drive about 20k miles a year. There is a pretty big price difference between the two oils, $26 for the EP, $40 for the AP. Filters aside, 60k miles would cost $104 for oil with the EP, while it would cost $120 with the AP. Regardless, I was planning to do a UOA at 10k before proceeding to 15-20k.

So that brings me to you guys, the armchair experts. When Mobil 1 lists an oil as having a 15k-20k OCI, does that apply to older engines with 5k OCI intervals outlined by the manufacturer? Are there limitations? I would personally have no problem running 10k without worry as long as the oil wasn't black, but is switching to a 15-20k OCI a smart thing to do in my case? Should I ease into it with a 10k OCI for my first oil change, then 15 for the second? That it what I am unsure of.

As for filters, this is another aspect where I would love to get more mileage out of it. I am looking at the purolator BOSS series (15k claim) and the Mobil 1 extended performance series (20k claim).

I welcome all parties to the discussion, all opinions, questions, responses welcome.

Here is a picture of my dipstick (it's safe for work, don't worry
laugh.gif
)

Again, that has 7k miles on it, without about a quart added since I've had it.

oil1.jpg

oil2.jpg

What does the manual recommend?
I would follow that, in terms of oci time, oil viscosity and whether you are severe service or standard.
Any name brand synthetic will do well following the manual.

the manual calls for 5k mile oil changes. So even with a synthetic, including the ones listed, you suggest keeping the 5k mile oil change interval?

welcome2.gif
welcome2.gif
welcome2.gif

Fram Ultra 2x 10k OCI on whatever oil can go 10k. That's what I would do pre-UOA. If you're pinching pennies, concentrate on getting oil capable of 10k cheap instead of trying to stretch out your OCIs. Most oils can probably do that, and can be easily picked up on sale with rebates.

Originally Posted by mnewxcv
the manual calls for 5k mile oil changes. So even with a synthetic, including the ones listed, you suggest keeping the 5k mile oil change interval?

It's at 5,000 for a reason. Multiple engine start/stops, could beat up the oil, and might be something those high mileage oils may not do well at.
So yes, what the manual says and I would use a synthetic like PP.

I guess I forgot to include this in the OP, I am at 140k miles currently on the vehicle.

I am not really trying to pinch pennies, I just don't know if spending $15 for 5k extra miles would be worth it for the 'best' oil. I'm perfectly fine paying the $26 for the 15k stuff.

I see a lot of people promoting the Fram Ultra filter, I will look into it. I know low end Fram filters have had a bad rep, and if that is still the case, I would rather give my money to a company that makes good filters across the lineup rather than just at the top.

I would never do a 20K OCI. I can't even get myself to the point of a 10K OCI with synthetic. 2 more oil changes a year seems like really cheap insurance to me.

Originally Posted by Gebo
I would never do a 20K OCI. I can't even get myself to the point of a 10K OCI with synthetic. 2 more oil changes a year seems like really cheap insurance to me.

looks like you have a handful of toyota/lexus vehicles there. Would a clean UOA change your mind on not running to 10k? 2400 posts on an oil forum, you must know a thing or two
laugh.gif

Last edited:
found this post:

"Im running 20K OCI's on my RX400H. PP 5-30 & a micro green change at 10K
I'm at about 15K on the current sump.

It took under a pint of makeup oil at 10K mostly to fill the filter.

I probably won't even bother with a UOA as the oil on the stick is still gold.

UD"

Will see if UncleDave can chime in.

This car is easy on oil - with belt driven valve train and relatively low HP/CI and no DI pump.
(hybrid portion adds power and makes the overall package more powerful than the gas counterpart)

I ran it out to 20K on 2 microgreens. Ive since stopped running them.

Been running idemitsu 0W20 to10K and its still gold when i dump. (Or I should say suck it out)

I don't think this car would have any problems running a 15K or 20K rated oil, - Im comfy with 2 10K sumps on one filter.

UD

Last edited:
It's pretty well established that the Annual Protection is NOT worth the price premium.

Several users are going 10k with regular M1; with EP some have gone further.

Sounds like it is a good time to get a couple of UOAs so you can be sure of the oil's condition while extending your intervals. You might be good for 20k or might not, but your engine and driving habits are different than other folks', and without a UOA it is all guesswork.

Originally Posted by UncleDave
This car is easy on oil - with belt driven valve train and relatively low HP/CI and no DI pump.
(hybrid portion adds power and makes the overall package more powerful than the gas counterpart)

I ran it out to 20K on 2 microgreens. Ive since stopped running them.

Been running idemitsu 0W20 to10K and its still gold when i dump. (Or I should say suck it out)

I don't think this car would have any problems running a 15K or 20K rated oil, - Im comfy with 2 10K sumps on one filter.

UD

thanks for your input. Did you upgrade to a larger than stock filter? Have you cut into any previous filters to examine their condition?

In terms of price, I can get the extended performance for $25, or I could get either advanced fuel economy(is this just on the thin side of the 20 weight scale?) or high mileage mobil 1 for $1 more.

Nope - I run a stock sized filter.

I cut every filter open from every auto OCI - never found a problem with any of them from this rig.

15K for 25 bucks -Id say give it a shot.

UD

The 3MZ-FE in my Sienna was 5K conventional according to the manual, but since then, Toyota backspecced the OCI to 10K if using synthetic. I do not know if that was only for the Sienna, or for all models that use the 3MZ.

Here is my latest UOA from a 1MZ-FE at 260,000 mi. Slightly smaller and much more prone to oil related problems.

If mine looks like this I'm sure you can string it out with some reasonable monitoring...

BTW, this was with Mobil1 5w-30 high mileage.

Camry_Gasoline-E_Normal_38699206.jpg

thanks everyone who has spoken. I think I will get the extended performance mobil 1 0w20 and an extended performance filter. $35 out the door.

thanks everyone who has spoken. I think I will get the extended performance mobil 1 0w20 and an extended performance filter. $35 out the door.

Fram ultra

Originally Posted by Saul

Fram ultra

why? The mobil filter is $1 more.

I know low end Fram filters have had a bad rep, and if that is still the case, I would rather give my money to a company that makes good filters across the lineup rather than just at the top.

Originally Posted by Saul

Fram ultra

why? The mobil filter is $1 more.

I know low end Fram filters have had a bad rep, and if that is still the case, I would rather give my money to a company that makes good filters across the lineup rather than just at the top.

Because its 99%+@20 Vs. 99%+@30

Can't go wrong either way, but why not get the one that filters better?

I get the "low-end" part but most manufacturers have a range of products. Is the mobil made by champ labs?

UD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back